Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada VIN thread and Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone actually taken delivery of a Model 3 yet?

I'm starting to think that Telsa has only sent out a mass of invites to configure as a way to generate money for production (via the "Order Payment") versus actually expecting to deliver within the timelines provided. Based on the delivery windows provided for the first wave i would have expected to see some on the road by now.

Canadian configuration emails only started on Mar. 22 and the delivery window was 4-8 weeks. Then Model 3 line was shut down for changes so things are likely delayed a bit. Deliveries to the mid west of US are currently scheduled for mid to end of May so Canadian’s who configured end of March likely won’t get their cars until end of May or beginning of June, IMHO. You can bet Tesla will want to deliver a lot of cars to Canada before end of quarter in June so it will definitely be before then.

Last edited:
How was your Canadian order experience? I am contemplating not buying the Model 3 currently due to the order experience. They're making it seem like I should be grateful that they are allowing me to buy a car from them instead of wooing me as a customer.

How was your Canadian order experience? I am contemplating not buying the Model 3 currently due to the order experience. They're making it seem like I should be grateful that they are allowing me to buy a car from them instead of wooing me as a customer.

That seems like a petty reason for not buying a Model 3. If you are looking for a long drawn out afternoon haggling with a salesman then a traditional dealership is maybe more for you. What's bad about click, click, click, enter credit card info, click, ordered! Order experience for me was quick and painless.

Do you not see my point - they refuse to tell me a range for my trade in - they said they will only tell me a range after I commit to a non-cancelling order. This is extremely important at the trade in value saves you 13% on taxes. So while I see my car valued at $40-$43K on Canada black book trade in, once I "click, click, click," I am locked in and must purchase the car - so if they tell me they will only give me $30K for my trade in I have no recourse except to sell the car myself and not get the tax savings . I am not asking to negotiate with them but Tesla should show me a sales order before I commit to buying.

Do you not see my point - they refuse to tell me a range for my trade in - they said they will only tell me a range after I commit to a non-cancelling order. This is extremely important at the trade in value saves you 13% on taxes. So while I see my car valued at $40-$43K on Canada black book trade in, once I "click, click, click," I am locked in and must purchase the car - so if they tell me they will only give me $30K for my trade in I have no recourse except to sell the car myself and not get the tax savings . I am not asking to negotiate with them but Tesla should show me a sales order before I commit to buying.

I see your point. Using a trade is not worth it in my opinion. They give you far less than you can sell it for. They offered me $15K for my Expedition and I got 22K and it had a couple issues.

For me, I don't want to go through the hassle of selling on my own. I bought two cars last year and each time, the dealer would give a range with caveats and all I want from Tesla is for them to confirm they will give me fair market value and the sales rep says they cannot do that until i make my order which they reminded me that I cannot cancel even if I do not like their offer. it almost feels like a scam to me and they purposely intend to undervalue. Mercedes or BMW were not like this - for the i3, I did the order all through email - gave my VIN and sales rep gave me a range for my trade in. That was easy and upfront

For me, I don't want to go through the hassle of selling on my own. I bought two cars last year and each time, the dealer would give a range with caveats and all I want from Tesla is for them to confirm they will give me fair market value and the sales rep says they cannot do that until i make my order which they reminded me that I cannot cancel even if I do not like their offer. it almost feels like a scam to me and they purposely intend to undervalue. Mercedes or BMW were not like this - for the i3, I did the order all through email - gave my VIN and sales rep gave me a range for my trade in. That was easy and upfront
Thanks for the clarification, your first post made it look like the order experience was a problem, which is in fact as easy as can be. However as for what to do with your old car, that is a different story. Perhaps they could improve the trade-in process, but I bet that's not a priority for them right now so I wouldn't expect improvements in that area for a long, long time. Even for Elon-time. Instead I'd look at the trade-in as a probable low-ball offer that saves you a little in tax and the headache of selling your car - i.e. imagine the lowest price you could get for your car and realize they'll likely offer a bit less than that.

Up to now I've bought and sold all my cars myself used. First with classified ads in the paper and Auto Trader magazine. Nowadays online with Kijiji and AutoTrader.ca. If you are on FaceBook, I hear FaceBook Marketplace works well too. I've never found it a problem selling on Kijiji and AutoTrader. Take lots of photos, especially of defects. Be very honest in the description of the car. If a buyer finds something you failed to point out, they'll wonder how many other defects you're hiding and will usually walk. That's a waste of your time (and theirs). Get a CarFax report done. Research prices on what your model sells for on the above venues and price accordingly. If you're willing to haggle, deal with lots of shoppers and want to hold out for the most money - price it a bit high. If you just want to get rid of the darned thing, price a bit on the low side. I price on the low side and I've always sold within a few days and to the first or second interested party - minimal hassle on my part. It will still fetch you far more than what you'll get offered by Tesla. Maybe two hours doing up the postings, another hour or two fielding phone calls and emails and one to two hrs for each "showing". Price it right and it can be gone quickly. Or simply accept what Tesla offers. Or look elsewhere...

Reactions: Duckjybe
...I want from Tesla is for them to confirm they will give me fair market value and the sales rep says they cannot do that until i make my order which they reminded me that I cannot cancel even if I do not like their offer.

Thats strange because Nov 2016 Tesla Oakville gave me a trade value before I ordered our X but maybe their policy has changed for the Model 3.