Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, the 3 requires the handshake protocol for interfacing with the Chademo adapter. I am reliably informed that the software does exist and is in testing, but it has not been released yet.
That's nice to hear. My money was that it would be available once the 3 started selling in Japan. Now that they've opened orders to the UK, Japan probably isn't far behind.

Personally, I think it would be nicer to have a North American CCS adapter, but that seems less likely to happen.

That's nice to hear. My money was that it would be available once the 3 started selling in Japan. Now that they've opened orders to the UK, Japan probably isn't far behind.

Personally, I think it would be nicer to have a North American CCS adapter, but that seems less likely to happen.
Actually the CCS May be closer to available than the Chademo software patch is. Remember, Model 3s in Europe already come with CCS plugs as standard, and some Superchargers have been retrofitted with the CCS connectors to support them.
The CCS adapter has already been revealed, although it’s unclear if it’s the European CCS or the North American one (or if it can handle both?). Keep an eye out, I imagine we’ll be seeing something on both of these this year, possibly this summer.

Actually the CCS May be closer to available than the Chademo software patch is. Remember, Model 3s in Europe already come with CCS plugs as standard, and some Superchargers have been retrofitted with the CCS connectors to support them.
The CCS adapter has already been revealed, although it’s unclear if it’s the European CCS or the North American one (or if it can handle both?). Keep an eye out, I imagine we’ll be seeing something on both of these this year, possibly this summer.
I thought it was clear it was the European CCS. Speculation was it's most likely the European CCS connector for older Model S and X to charge from new Superchargers that use the CCS connector (even though they aren't using the CCS protocol.) Perhaps it will let European Model S and X charge from 3rd party CCS stations. In any case, European CCS does virtually nothing to move us closer to CCS because both the European Tesla connector and European CCS connector are different from the respective connectors here.

I just don't see Tesla putting effort into supporting CCS in North America, since they clearly don't think it's important. CHAdeMO is big in Japan and the Japanese and North American Tesla connector are, hence my bet we'll get CHAdeMO when Japan gets the Model 3.

There we have it. It's a CCS Type 2 Combo adapter for S and X in Europe. IT does allow charging from CCS type 2 (aka European) but existing models will need a retrofit in addition to the adapter to use it (obviously does not apply to the Model 3 there, since it supports CCS without an adapter):
Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles

In theory, Model 3 in North America probably wouldn't need a retrofit, but we'd need a completely different adapter because both connectors are different. My thinking is the real reason Tesla is releasing it in Europe is so that new S and X models are not at a disadvantage to the Model 3. The same does not apply in North America.

New information available about the CCS adapter in the EU: Supercharging

€170 for the adapter and €330 extra if your S, or X, was built before 5/1/2019 and requires a retrofit to support it. So CCS support was added as part of the Raven updates. (200kW charging and PMSR front drive unit.)

Do the Model S and Model X have access to third-party charging networks?
Model S and Model X owners may use a CCS Combo 2 adapter to connect to compatible third-party networks. Model 3 can directly plug into third-party networks using CCS Combo 2 connectors.

How do I know if my Model S or Model X has the technical capability to charge via a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
All legacy Model S and Model X owners will require a service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit for June 1, 2019 or later at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app or your Tesla account.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service will cost €500, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter (€170 when purchased separately).

I see Tesla briefly advertised the Chademo adapter was available for the Model 3 also, on their SHOP website. Then not too much longer they removed it and put in an explicit "not for Model 3". Seems like someone jumped the gun but we're getting closer I assume.

The cost of buying one is what you're saving on gas! I'd rather wait for the small adaptor for CSS
In theory, the CCS adapter should be better because it's smaller and should be able to pass more than 100kW charging power. The existing CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50kW. However, Model 3 support for CHAdeMO has a deadline because it has to work with RHD cars delivered to Japan this Summer. There is no real deadline for CCS support for North American Model 3 cars.

Reactions: RiverBrick
The Electric Circuit announced yesterday that their price for recharging at stations offering up to 50 kW in Quebec will go from $10/hr to $11.50/hr next week (billed by the minute). After that, the price will be indexed to inflation yearly.

The price remains $17/hr at their relatively few CHAdeMO stations in Ontario.

This is the 1st price increase in Quebec in five years and at $11.50/hr the Electric Circuit is probably losing money, so the adjustment is modest.

The Electric Circuit announced yesterday that their price for recharging at stations offering up to 50 kW in Quebec will go from $10/hr to $11.50/hr next week (billed by the minute). After that, the price will be indexed to inflation yearly.

The price remains $17/hr at their relatively few CHAdeMO stations in Ontario.

This is the 1st price increase in Quebec in five years and at $11.50/hr the Electric Circuit is probably losing money, so the adjustment is modest.
They said they were doing that last year, but for 12$/hour. I think they should use 12 per hour instead of 11,5, honestly. Easier to calculate and more attractive pricing.

Has anyone charged at the CHAdeMO station in Sechelt recently. I keep being cut off after 5-30 minutes with an Error Message of "1000" on the charger. I wonder if my adapter gets hot (and the charger recognizes this) as the duration of charging goes down after each try. I have asked the SC to investigate the cause in case it's on my end (adapter or car). Will try a Vancouver charger next week.

This is not a drill.

Chademo adapter finally available for Model 3

Canadian countryside here I come!
Now you'll only be waiting 4 hours* or so to charge up instead of 7 or 8. Hurray?

* It'll be better than that for actual 50kW-ish chargers that you can find. But lots of 20kW-25kW out there. At least the new stuff that is promised and starting to roll out that have token Chademo compliance cord are 50kW, I believe.

Now you'll only be waiting 4 hours* or so to charge up instead of 7 or 8. Hurray?

* It'll be better than that for actual 50kW-ish chargers that you can find. But lots of 20kW-25kW out there. At least the new stuff that is promised and starting to roll out that have token Chademo compliance cord are 50kW, I believe.

And it's $602.. outch! That's a year of gas savings right there

Agreed that when a choice can be made between Supercharger and Chademo for a same route,it would be foolish to not use the Supercharger.

However, today, Chademo opens up these routes I could not practically have done on before for lack of "fast charging".
- Touring the Gaspe Peninsula
- Touring the Cabot Trail
- Ottawa-Toronto with a minimum amount of 401, using instead the mostly scenic highway 17
- Heading to the upper laurentians (even further up to Abitibi)
- and very soon, crossing Canada from coast-to-coast once the Petro Canada chargers are online.

- and very soon, crossing Canada from coast-to-coast once the Petro Canada chargers are online.
More and more that's looking like a relatively small chunk of the way. It is looking like by end of summer it'll be only be down to jumping between the Sault and Winnipeg. Chop off 450km jumping off because of battery range and you're down to maybe 900km left. You're saving maybe 10-12 hours of charging time total? Less than a day extra for the trip.

There's definitely going to be out-of-the-way places that Chademo will help, that'll be out ahead of SC, places like remote BC and so on in ways that it really doesn't matter at all in the US, but L2 is already workable for quite a lot if you've got that sort of patience, anyway.

Last edited:
Neo1974 said:
However, today, Chademo opens up these routes I could not practically have done on before for lack of "fast charging".
- Touring the Gaspe Peninsula

Unless you're into lightning tours, you can still tour the Gaspe peninsula just fine using J1772 stations and the St-Leonard and RDL Superchargers. A SR+ without the CHAdeMO adapter can make it from MTL to Percé 2 hours ahead of a LEAF plus.

Reactions: SammichLover