Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tesla advisor (or whatever you want to call it) wrote me back yesterday... Casselman is in the plan (was surprised b/c we almost never spoke about this one). I was asking him if with the new Montréal site they would put SC's over there, with a «vague» yes (no) he wrote to me that Toronto-Kingston-Cornwall-Drummundville (the Québec - Windsor corridor) AND Casselman was priority before Montréal.

So Casselman is coming soon I guess...

I dashed over to the Lawrence SC as soon as I heard the news.
1A may not be working so I used the second stall; yes, yes, it is super fast !!!:smile:

I wouldn't really suggest doing it. I was however, pretty confident, having had the car for almost 2 years now you get used to knowing how far it will go if you are monitoring your energy usage. If I get the wH/km to 170 over a 50 km window I pretty much know I can drive the number of km indicated by the car's gauge.

We NEED Kingston is an understatement :)

I am a newbie who will pick our Tesla in Oct. Would you explain in simple words to a novice what the wH/km means? You use this terminology all the time and I am not certain what it means to your distance travelling. Thanks for reply in advance.

I wouldn't really suggest doing it. I was however, pretty confident, having had the car for almost 2 years now you get used to knowing how far it will go if you are monitoring your energy usage. If I get the wH/km to 170 over a 50 km window I pretty much know I can drive the number of km indicated by the car's gauge.

We NEED Kingston is an understatement :)

Based on trips from Toronto to Ottawa (Hwy 7 - typical speeds around 90 km/hr) TO to Cornwall should be doable in the summer but not in the winter, and more comfortable going East than going West (where you would be slower than the speed of traffic). I have typically seen 460 to 480 km range going east and 430 to 440 km going West, between TO and Ottawa.

I am a newbie who will pick our Tesla in Oct. Would you explain in simple words to a novice what the wH/km means? You use this terminology all the time and I am not certain what it means to your distance travelling. Thanks for reply in advance.

It means how much energy you use while driving. So, for instance, if you accellerate fast you will use more energy than driving slowly. The same goes for climbing up hills or stop and go traffic as opposed to driving on a level surface at a consistent speed. Wind resistance will also increase energy use. But going down a hill will regenerate. So it all has to be averaged out as you drive to determine the range left. When you get your car it will make more sense. I remember thinking the same thing as you not too long ago and I never really understood until I got the car and watched all the neat energy graphs and stats.

A wHr is a measure of electric energy equal to a power level of one watt for one hour (electrical energy is typically sold in units of kwHr - equal to 1000 watts for a period of one hour).

wHr/km is a measure of the amount of electrical energy used to drive a km (in the same way the litres of gasoline / 100 km is a measure of energy per km).

200 wHr/km is equal to 5 km per kwHr (meaning that 75 kwHr would take you 375 km).

Over the past 30,000 km I am averaging 199 wHr/km.
This summer (9,000 km) I am averaging 167 wHr/km (meaning that 75 wkHr translates into a range of almost 450 km).

My Tesla advisor (or whatever you want to call it) wrote me back yesterday... Casselman is in the plan (was surprised b/c we almost never spoke about this one). I was asking him if with the new Montréal site they would put SC's over there, with a «vague» yes (no) he wrote to me that Toronto-Kingston-Cornwall-Drummundville (the Québec - Windsor corridor) AND Casselman was priority before Montréal.

So Casselman is coming soon I guess...

I dashed over to the Lawrence SC as soon as I heard the news.
1A may not be working so I used the second stall; yes, yes, it is super fast !!!:smile:

It means how much energy you use while driving. So, for instance, if you accellerate fast you will use more energy than driving slowly. The same goes for climbing up hills or stop and go traffic as opposed to driving on a level surface at a consistent speed. Wind resistance will also increase energy use. But going down a hill will regenerate. So it all has to be averaged out as you drive to determine the range left. When you get your car it will make more sense. I remember thinking the same thing as you not too long ago and I never really understood until I got the car and watched all the neat energy graphs and stats.

Thanks

By the way, when you get your car, never reset either "Trip A" or "Trip B". I kept "Trip A" and never reset it. That way, Trip A tells me how much energy I have used since I got my car. Trip B can be used when you want to a trip meter and you also have another stat for energy used since each charge. It's good to keep one that will tell you how much energy through summer, winter, etc.

A wHr is a measure of electric energy equal to a power level of one watt for one hour (electrical energy is typically sold in units of kwHr - equal to 1000 watts for a period of one hour).

wHr/km is a measure of the amount of electrical energy used to drive a km (in the same way the litres of gasoline / 100 km is a measure of energy per km).

200 wHr/km is equal to 5 km per kwHr (meaning that 75 kwHr would take you 375 km).

Over the past 30,000 km I am averaging 199 wHr/km.
This summer (9,000 km) I am averaging 167 wHr/km (meaning that 75 wkHr translates into a range of almost 450 km).

Just to add, a Watt is a Joule per second. So a Wh has the units of Joule per second times (3600 seconds = 1 hour). So you cancel the seconds and see that a Wh is really a measure of Joules or energy. So Wh/km gives you energy (in this case electrical) per kilometer driven. A Joule (in very base units) is actually a kg*meter squared / second squared or a Newton time a meter (force times distance). Finally a Joule is also defined as a coulomb (elections) times volt so it has direct electrical equivalency.

My life time (since Dec 2012) average with 50,000km driven (and 2 hard winters) is 230Wh/km. That is 41GigaJoules of energy used. A barrel of oil contains ~6GJ so I have used the equivalent of almost 7 barrels of oil.

At a rate of 200Wh/km you are using about 720,000Joules every kilometer you travel.
By reference to boil a liter (kilogram) of water starting from 20 degrees C is about 334,000J so you effectively bring to boil 2 liters a water for every km driven in a Tesla.
For an efficient gas car that uses 5L/100km you are using about 7,200,000 Joules/km! That's 10x worse. (I used gas energy density at 36MJ/L and engine conversion efficiency of 25%). That's 20liters of boiled water per km.

Good idea by the way never to reset one of the trips.

All fun stuff.

Some pics to share from this morning's Toronto SC opening ceremony...

Final pre-event moments to shiny-up the centre of attention
IMG_0352.JPG

Owners' Teslas all lined up!
IMG_0356.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Owners meeting owners...
IMG_0360.JPG

It's 10:00 A.M., ready to roll!
IMG_0359.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla's Martin P ... reiterates commitment to the 401 corridor and to Barrie
IMG_0374.jpg

Plug'n Drive's Cara C ... gives an uplifting keynote
IMG_0370.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Eli: ready
IMG_0376.JPG

Eli: set
IMG_0378.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Eli: go!
IMG_0379.JPG

T.O. Tesla SC is officially open!
IMG_0380.JPG

Meeting, greeting, and being happy...
IMG_0361.jpg

Only Global reported the news, I don't believe CFTO & CityTV do any reporting.

Question:
If I charge on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) on a Supercharger only up to 70-80% as compared to HPWC on a 40 amps (80% full); will the former wears out the battery faster than the latter. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
According to Elon, no, you can Supercharge as much as you want. No impact.

Well I'm not so sure about that one. Charging with that much current on a regular basis has to have some impact on the chemical makeup of the battery. I've read articles that even say that you are better off dialling down the amperage when you charge at home if you are not pressed for time and that charging at 20A is better in the long run than at 50 for example. Perhaps the differences will only accumulate over long periods of time but why risk it if you don't have to? I read a really good article about all of this recently in the Charged Electric Vehicles Magazine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.