Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceled my Model 3 Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I buy this gauges drama.

Almost nobody watches their gauges during casual driving. Manufacturers usuall pair them up with warning lights that direct you to checking your gauges. Modern cars have almost no user servicible parts that can be self repaired with the information available from dash gauges. You usually need to plug in a diagnostic computer to see what parts are suspect of need replacement.

Most modern vehicles have fairly non accurate gauges. Most temp and pressure gauges don't even have numerical markings, just hot-cold, high-low, or color coated guidelines. The computers not control all these parameters with feedback loops and sensors.

An electric vehicle needs no driver gauges, but can instead rely of warnings displayed on the display. Tesla's system is far advanced and will give advanced warnings to slow down, pull over safely, get out ot the car, check tires, take in for service, or do not drive. Far more useful information that a gauge that reads at 2 O'clock instead of 3 O'clock.

When I used to race, that was a different story. We were always pushing our vehicles to the limit, and it was much temperature control as fast driving that got us to the finish line in one piece. We were trained to scan our gauges on every straight piece of track, but the rest of the course there was no time (or concentration) for that.

Even modern airplanes have gotten away from all those gauges that were impossible to constantly monitor, and displays just pop up items that are out of normal readings.

It is going to be difficult for people to change their old way of thinking and embrace a better future product. Hanging onto the preconcieved ideas might make you feel more comfortable, but there are better ways coming.

Reactions: Lem89 and dhrivnak
Not sure I buy this gauges drama.

Almost nobody watches their gauges during casual driving. Manufacturers usuall pair them up with warning lights that direct you to checking your gauges. Modern cars have almost no user servicible parts that can be self repaired with the information available from dash gauges. You usually need to plug in a diagnostic computer to see what parts are suspect of need replacement.

Most modern vehicles have fairly non accurate gauges. Most temp and pressure gauges don't even have numerical markings, just hot-cold, high-low, or color coated guidelines. The computers not control all these parameters with feedback loops and sensors.

An electric vehicle needs no driver gauges, but can instead rely of warnings displayed on the display. Tesla's system is far advanced and will give advanced warnings to slow down, pull over safely, get out ot the car, check tires, take in for service, or do not drive. Far more useful information that a gauge that reads at 2 O'clock instead of 3 O'clock.

When I used to race, that was a different story. We were always pushing our vehicles to the limit, and it was much temperature control as fast driving that got us to the finish line in one piece. We were trained to scan our gauges on every straight piece of track, but the rest of the course there was no time (or concentration) for that.

Even modern airplanes have gotten away from all those gauges that were impossible to constantly monitor, and displays just pop up items that are out of normal readings.

It is going to be difficult for people to change their old way of thinking and embrace a better future product. Hanging onto the preconcieved ideas might make you feel more comfortable, but there are better ways coming.

You can't teach someone how to run when they can't even rollover when lying on their tummy.

Gentle on the babies, their brain and thinking processes need to develop.

The reason you're getting the reactions you see here, is because of your 'superior, know-it-all attitude'. Rather than simply getting your deposit back and leaving quietly, you insist on telling everyone else the huge 'mistake' we've all made. Frankly, I call that classless. The classy way to exit, if you insisted on posting, would have been to say, "I decided the 3 wasn't for me, good luck to the rest of you, hope you enjoy the 3".

Ba bye, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Or just stfu. I don't go to the pepperridge farm forums and announce I'm returning a box of goldfish crackers. If I don't like the pretzel versions I return it and get the cheddar ones I'm used to.

Or I just get ritz crackers instead. I don't have to try and insult people on their preferences.

If I were to do that, I would at least be educated enough to make compelling arguments if I wanted to drag people off the cliff with me.

Coming off as a clown during amateur hour who rags on EV cars since they lack temp gauges, tach meters, fuel indicators is ridiculous.

Should tweet Elon about this particular reservation. There has been precedence to ban over the top critics before.

Dude could be internet famous. Maybe VW will sponsor him in a "sport" Wagen commercial.

Last edited:
The 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen has 271 lbs of torque after the fix (5% increase) and multiple users reporting 58 mpg. The MSRP for the base model is $25k minus the $5k incentive puts you at $20k. Plus they offer 72 months 0% financing which is worth a few thousand.

Plus driving a diesel with a manual transmission is incredibly fun. At $35k before options there's NOTHING the Model 3 offers that I couldn't get right now with a VW TDI for almost half the price. Yes some will argue with the federal and state credits it brings it down CLOSE to the TDI in price but there are WAY too many assumptions that the incentives will even be around depending on potential delays and your spot in line.

2015 VW GSW TDI
Unlimited Range, no stress on how much diesel is in the tank. Fill ups take 120 seconds.
Good acceleration.
Amazing Highway performance
Joy to drive with a manual transmission (good for resale value as manuals are being phased out)
Not a guinea pig. VW Mk7 + diesel platform has a long history.
High quality interior.

Model 3
$35k base
Interior looks like a taxi drone.
HEAVY (4000 lbs?)
Great acceleration
Constant stress about battery + You will plan your life around the battery
Highway driving not so good (drains battery FAST as energy requirements per mph gain goes up drastically)
Guinea pig for first gen (YOU WILL PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE TO BE A BETA TESTER)

Conclusion:
Does that mean that I will never own a Tesla? No... if they start making a product a driving enthusiast would like I will consider them. I have been a member of this site a lot longer than most of these Johnny come lately Tesla Fan boys that are now attacking me. I drove the original Model S (60, P85, etc) and was quite pleased with it however at the price point of the P85 I did not see it's value and opted for the Porsche GT4 which will have much more long term value. I stood in line early that day they opened reservations for the Model 3 and was very hopeful it would be an affordable fun electric car. But when I saw the direction Tesla was going (no gauges in front of driver) I knew this taxi-drone like appliance would not be suitable for my driving enthusiasts needs. Happy to have everyone who really wants one move up a spot.
(Don't own a Tesla, don't have a Model 3 reservation, but I do own an EV)

My EV is an absolute thrill to drive. Acceleration and cruising is so smooth and quiet. The car effortlessly and instantly responds without over-reacting, and is at home on the highway just as it is in the city or country. The 62 mile range has proven to not be a restraint at all. I've had way more concern over having enough gas in my previous car than I have about battery charge in my current EV. Highway range won't suffer as bad on the Model 3 as it does on current EVs, mainly due to aerodynamics (Model S has a drag of .22, my EV is .35 and only loses 5-10 miles).

Also, for it being a first gen EV (originally designed in 2010), I've had no issues outside of a cell failure, which got me an entire new battery for free. The Model 3 is actually 2nd gen technology, along with the Chevy Bolt. The only reason I haven't put down a reservation is that I can't justify the 215+ mile range. I drive over 10,000 miles a year and have simply not needed any more range than what my car and quick chargers provide. And no, I'm not putting around on city streets all day. I live out in the country, where a quick trip to the store takes an hour.

As for the lack of gauges, there are only two stats you need in an EV, speed and State of Charge, both of which are in the top left corner of the Model 3 screen. What about earlier BMWs that had the gauges in the center of the dash? Was that unacceptable?

Well it must be nice living in a country not even half the size of Texas. Here in the U.S. we travel much greater distances than you. My diesel is truly unlimited range and I don't have to plan my life around my car's battery.
This trolling on a troll's post is somewhat fun but the joy is beginning to reduce as we all know there's no saving this one's soul.

Since OP is comparing size, with all due respect to Texans and not meaning any insult, BC Canada is 1.36 times the size of big Texas and there are EVs in every medium-to-major city, with plenty of travel between them. By the way 93% of our electricity is generated from renewables.

Will you be getting a license plate "COALPWR" for your coal burning electric vehicle? The #1 source of electricity in the U.S. is coal. But please proceed to tell me how your SPECIFIC car will be powered by windmills built with locally sourced drift wood or by solar panels built without Chinese slave labor using only environmentally clean Chinese energy sources.
You know, being a stone's throw away from Niagara Falls you'd think I would've known its generators run on burning coal. Who knew? Thanks for enlightening me Joe.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and mutle
The 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen has 271 lbs of torque after the fix (5% increase) and multiple users reporting 58 mpg. The MSRP for the base model is $25k minus the $5k incentive puts you at $20k. Plus they offer 72 months 0% financing which is worth a few thousand.

Plus driving a diesel with a manual transmission is incredibly fun. At $35k before options there's NOTHING the Model 3 offers that I couldn't get right now with a VW TDI for almost half the price. Yes some will argue with the federal and state credits it brings it down CLOSE to the TDI in price but there are WAY too many assumptions that the incentives will even be around depending on potential delays and your spot in line.

2015 VW GSW TDI
Unlimited Range, no stress on how much diesel is in the tank. Fill ups take 120 seconds.
Good acceleration.
Amazing Highway performance
Joy to drive with a manual transmission (good for resale value as manuals are being phased out)
Not a guinea pig. VW Mk7 + diesel platform has a long history.
High quality interior.

Model 3
$35k base
Interior looks like a taxi drone.
HEAVY (4000 lbs?)
Great acceleration
Constant stress about battery + You will plan your life around the battery
Highway driving not so good (drains battery FAST as energy requirements per mph gain goes up drastically)
Guinea pig for first gen (YOU WILL PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE TO BE A BETA TESTER)

Conclusion:
Does that mean that I will never own a Tesla? No... if they start making a product a driving enthusiast would like I will consider them. I have been a member of this site a lot longer than most of these Johnny come lately Tesla Fan boys that are now attacking me. I drove the original Model S (60, P85, etc) and was quite pleased with it however at the price point of the P85 I did not see it's value and opted for the Porsche GT4 which will have much more long term value. I stood in line early that day they opened reservations for the Model 3 and was very hopeful it would be an affordable fun electric car. But when I saw the direction Tesla was going (no gauges in front of driver) I knew this taxi-drone like appliance would not be suitable for my driving enthusiasts needs. Happy to have everyone who really wants one move up a spot.
That's actually a pretty fair assessment. You should have started the post with this.

There's no doubt the Model 3 is an experimental purchase, and time will tell if the experiment pays off. I have no doubt the car itself will be fantastic, but there may be issues with charging congestion as EV numbers lurch ahead so quickly.

It is also not true to say that the Model 3 will not be good for driving enthusiasts.
While it is true that a manual transmission and even engine note can be fun, I have found that it's the instant throttle response that makes EVs more of a driver's car. With no turbo to spool up, or torque curve to climb, my Model S is simply a generation ahead of ICE cars.

Reactions: strykeroz and Carl
Every Tesla owner should 'smoke' and throw 'virtual exhaust' at any VW Golf they come across just for the chance it's the OP.

Can't even throw the shifter or spin the tires before we are halfway to the next light.