TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Canceled my Model 3 Reservation

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by joe12pack, Jun 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Not sure I buy this gauges drama.

Almost nobody watches their gauges during casual driving. Manufacturers usuall pair them up with warning lights that direct you to checking your gauges. Modern cars have almost no user servicible parts that can be self repaired with the information available from dash gauges. You usually need to plug in a diagnostic computer to see what parts are suspect of need replacement.

Most modern vehicles have fairly non accurate gauges. Most temp and pressure gauges don't even have numerical markings, just hot-cold, high-low, or color coated guidelines. The computers not control all these parameters with feedback loops and sensors.

An electric vehicle needs no driver gauges, but can instead rely of warnings displayed on the display. Tesla's system is far advanced and will give advanced warnings to slow down, pull over safely, get out ot the car, check tires, take in for service, or do not drive. Far more useful information that a gauge that reads at 2 O'clock instead of 3 O'clock.

When I used to race, that was a different story. We were always pushing our vehicles to the limit, and it was much temperature control as fast driving that got us to the finish line in one piece. We were trained to scan our gauges on every straight piece of track, but the rest of the course there was no time (or concentration) for that.

Even modern airplanes have gotten away from all those gauges that were impossible to constantly monitor, and displays just pop up items that are out of normal readings.

It is going to be difficult for people to change their old way of thinking and embrace a better future product. Hanging onto the preconcieved ideas might make you feel more comfortable, but there are better ways coming.

• Like x 2
  2. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

You can't teach someone how to run when they can't even rollover when lying on their tummy.

Gentle on the babies, their brain and thinking processes need to develop.

3. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

#83 MXWing, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Or just stfu. I don't go to the pepperridge farm forums and announce I'm returning a box of goldfish crackers. If I don't like the pretzel versions I return it and get the cheddar ones I'm used to.

Or I just get ritz crackers instead. I don't have to try and insult people on their preferences.

If I were to do that, I would at least be educated enough to make compelling arguments if I wanted to drag people off the cliff with me.

Coming off as a clown during amateur hour who rags on EV cars since they lack temp gauges, tach meters, fuel indicators is ridiculous.

Should tweet Elon about this particular reservation. There has been precedence to ban over the top critics before.

Dude could be internet famous. Maybe VW will sponsor him in a "sport" Wagen commercial.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

I would have just waited until next month for the final production model before cancelling if it's the lack of gauges that's been bothering me.

If I go with a Tesla M3, at least I don't have the bother with the 2017 iPad Pro 12.9" as I know my car will already have one.

• Like x 1
  5. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

Speak for yourself! ;)

• Funny x 8
  6. PV1

PV1 Member

(Don't own a Tesla, don't have a Model 3 reservation, but I do own an EV)

My EV is an absolute thrill to drive. Acceleration and cruising is so smooth and quiet. The car effortlessly and instantly responds without over-reacting, and is at home on the highway just as it is in the city or country. The 62 mile range has proven to not be a restraint at all. I've had way more concern over having enough gas in my previous car than I have about battery charge in my current EV. Highway range won't suffer as bad on the Model 3 as it does on current EVs, mainly due to aerodynamics (Model S has a drag of .22, my EV is .35 and only loses 5-10 miles).

Also, for it being a first gen EV (originally designed in 2010), I've had no issues outside of a cell failure, which got me an entire new battery for free. The Model 3 is actually 2nd gen technology, along with the Chevy Bolt. The only reason I haven't put down a reservation is that I can't justify the 215+ mile range. I drive over 10,000 miles a year and have simply not needed any more range than what my car and quick chargers provide. And no, I'm not putting around on city streets all day. I live out in the country, where a quick trip to the store takes an hour.

As for the lack of gauges, there are only two stats you need in an EV, speed and State of Charge, both of which are in the top left corner of the Model 3 screen. What about earlier BMWs that had the gauges in the center of the dash? Was that unacceptable?

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  7. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

"Unlimited range"? Did you get a Back to the Future-inspired Mr. Fusion installed?

8. SouthFLGuy

SouthFLGuy Member

He didn't persecute anyone.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

I usually don't fall for being trolled, but this thread just getting way to much attention. To the Op, thanks for bumping the rest of the human race up one spot on the list, I am sure they appreciate it. There are apparently ~500,000 people and growing already not caring about gauges that originated in the 50s or longer ago.

• Like x 3
  10. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

This trolling on a troll's post is somewhat fun but the joy is beginning to reduce as we all know there's no saving this one's soul.

Since OP is comparing size, with all due respect to Texans and not meaning any insult, BC Canada is 1.36 times the size of big Texas and there are EVs in every medium-to-major city, with plenty of travel between them. By the way 93% of our electricity is generated from renewables.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  11. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

You know, being a stone's throw away from Niagara Falls you'd think I would've known its generators run on burning coal. Who knew? Thanks for enlightening me Joe.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

My thought as well

13. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Remind me why you placed a reservation ? Did you think Tesla cars run on diesel ?

14. mutle

mutle Member

Didn't you know that you always receive the grid mix at your home? Why else would people always bring that up when bashing EVs?

• Like x 1
  15. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

Girl, bye. You think we're going to try to talk you back into it? That's the most stupid reason to cancel an order. Wow. Sounds like you're just an ICE type of person.

• Disagree x 1
  16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

That's actually a pretty fair assessment. You should have started the post with this.

There's no doubt the Model 3 is an experimental purchase, and time will tell if the experiment pays off. I have no doubt the car itself will be fantastic, but there may be issues with charging congestion as EV numbers lurch ahead so quickly.

It is also not true to say that the Model 3 will not be good for driving enthusiasts.
    While it is true that a manual transmission and even engine note can be fun, I have found that it's the instant throttle response that makes EVs more of a driver's car. With no turbo to spool up, or torque curve to climb, my Model S is simply a generation ahead of ICE cars.

• Like x 2
  17. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

We never really knew exactly what to expect the final dash layout to be. Lots of speculation around had fueled hopes for a more traditional or revolutionary design.

18. hckyplyr

hckyplyr Member

Why did you revive this POS thread? Unbelievable...

19. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Haha. You just bumped it. If you don't want it revived ...

• Like x 1
  20. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Every Tesla owner should 'smoke' and throw 'virtual exhaust' at any VW Golf they come across just for the chance it's the OP.

Can't even throw the shifter or spin the tires before we are halfway to the next light.