Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Maintenance Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am weighing my next options with Tesla and a lot of you know the company's ins and outs better than I do, so I am looking for some advice of the direction I should take this...

So, I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan in November 2017 and I paid $3,051.00 for the plan. I was told after purchase that I should try to do my "first year service" within 20,000km or 1 year of purchase and then continue it annually on the anniversary date.

So, I booked my "first year service" on April 18, 2018 (5 months after I purchased the plan and well within the 20,000km in the plan details). At the service, they did not do much. Tesla changed batteries in the remotes, air filters, AC dessicant bag, wipers. No alignment (although I asked for it - they said it was unnecessary) and not much more.

So, I waited the one year and called again in April 2019 for my "second" of four years and I was told the program was cancelled and they would no longer be doing the service. Tesla SC in Mississauga would NOT give me another appointment. I asked about a refund and they stated that I could only obtain a refund if I formally cancelled the service (even though technically, they were cancelling the service). In any event, I filled out the cancellation form with a letter saying this was an "involuntary cancellation" - I was directed to cancel by Telsa because they were no longer honouring the contract (this is relevant because the contract in Canada specifically says that Tesla cannot cancel the agreement).

So, after about six weeks, I got my refund cheque from Tesla. The simple math says I should have got at least 75% of my money back (having used 1 of the 4 years of service - $2,288.25). Unfortunately, I got a check via FedEx yesterday for $762.75. No explanation letter, no breakdown... just a cheque.

My immediate inclination is the sue them in small claims (I have papered my file quite well to document that they are in breach of their own agreement). I DO NOT believe this should be my starting point. Hopefully, it won't come to suing them, but I haven't had a lot of good luck with Customer Service. Any thoughts at what I should do?

I think someone at that service center got their wires crossed.

The maintenance service wasn’t ‘canceled’, just the manufacturer requirement for yearly servicing.

That refund cheque is just for one service as well, so it sounds like another screwup.

IMHO, I’d try to talk to someone at the manager level first before getting the lawyers involved.

I was wondering about this since the service announcement. I'm going to take a slightly different tack on this and push to have service done - that it's part of the contract regardless of Tesla's take. Since mine is coming up I'll let you know how I make out. I'm not willing to lose half of the value of the servicing because Tesla has changed their commitment in the process. They're the ones who are reneging - the least that they should do is return the unused funds in it's entirety.

Thanks for posting this, Struja.

Reactions: Struja and GreenT
I was wondering about this since the service announcement. I'm going to take a slightly different tack on this and push to have service done - that it's part of the contract regardless of Tesla's take. Since mine is coming up I'll let you know how I make out. I'm not willing to lose half of the value of the servicing because Tesla has changed their commitment in the process. They're the ones who are reneging - the least that they should do is return the unused funds in it's entirety.

Thanks for posting this, Struja.
100% Agreed.

I am also thinking about cancelling mine. It would be my 4th one and bought the 8 year. First and 2nd year was fine, but last year I went and asked for year 3 service and I got told that my millage was too high and I need to do year 4. Was told that I "lost" year 3. After a lot of talk I was told that it wasnt lost by it needed to be done in the 8 year so some year I would have to do 2.. It's just stupid. This will be my first one out of warranty and I'm not sure to do it. It would be at the end of june.

So, I am weighing my next options with Tesla and a lot of you know the company's ins and outs better than I do, so I am looking for some advice of the direction I should take this...

So, I purchased the 4 year maintenance plan in November 2017 and I paid $3,051.00 for the plan. I was told after purchase that I should try to do my "first year service" within 20,000km or 1 year of purchase and then continue it annually on the anniversary date.

So, I booked my "first year service" on April 18, 2018 (5 months after I purchased the plan and well within the 20,000km in the plan details). At the service, they did not do much. Tesla changed batteries in the remotes, air filters, AC dessicant bag, wipers. No alignment (although I asked for it - they said it was unnecessary) and not much more.

So, I waited the one year and called again in April 2019 for my "second" of four years and I was told the program was cancelled and they would no longer be doing the service. Tesla SC in Mississauga would NOT give me another appointment. I asked about a refund and they stated that I could only obtain a refund if I formally cancelled the service (even though technically, they were cancelling the service). In any event, I filled out the cancellation form with a letter saying this was an "involuntary cancellation" - I was directed to cancel by Telsa because they were no longer honouring the contract (this is relevant because the contract in Canada specifically says that Tesla cannot cancel the agreement).

So, after about six weeks, I got my refund cheque from Tesla. The simple math says I should have got at least 75% of my money back (having used 1 of the 4 years of service - $2,288.25). Unfortunately, I got a check via FedEx yesterday for $762.75. No explanation letter, no breakdown... just a cheque.

My immediate inclination is the sue them in small claims (I have papered my file quite well to document that they are in breach of their own agreement). I DO NOT believe this should be my starting point. Hopefully, it won't come to suing them, but I haven't had a lot of good luck with Customer Service. Any thoughts at what I should do?

Please, do take them to court as soon as possible. It's all they understand. The monetary value, to me anyway, is much less important than the fact Tesla continuously lies. The company culture needs to change.

Please, do take them to court as soon as possible. It's all they understand. The monetary value, to me anyway, is much less important than the fact Tesla continuously lies. The company culture needs to change.
Court doesn’t cost me a thing and I will make it expensive for them, but like I said... it will be my last resort.