Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't check this when I was in Tesla showroom... does the glove box come with a motorized door? If not, the driver touches the on-screen button to pop it open but still has to reach the glove box to manually close it. The form does not seem to follow function, at least from the driver's perspective.

Meet her half way and get a Lexus hybrid SUV like the NX 300h or RX 450h. Super reliable and good mpg > 30.
When the reason for an SUV is a second baby, with all the stuff that has to be brought along, any hybrid is pointless due to loss of cargo space compared to standard models, not to mention much higher cost.

(Besides, @206er's Acura, Audi and Volvo SUV choices are nice looking, IMO, unlike today's Lexus with that ugly big-X grille. I'm so glad we got our Lexus RX350 before that style change came along.)

Reactions: 206er
I didn't check this when I was in Tesla showroom... does the glove box come with a motorized door? If not, the driver touches the on-screen button to pop it open but still has to reach the glove box to manually close it. The form does not seem to follow function, at least from the driver's perspective.

Speaking of function.... Reaching over to unlatch a glove compartment while driving is something I've never had to do, ever. I suppose we all use our GCs differently but traditionally what's in mine are:

Owner's manual
Registration
Insurance cards
Pencil/Pen
Old-school tire pressure pen

Basically stuff I need if I get pulled over or get in an accident. None of these things are items I need while driving. Anything I need regularly or semi-regularly (sunglasses, gloves, passes, etc) are kept in much more accessible areas of the car.

I need something in the glove box. Sun glasses. Park pass. Anything. Do I really have to hunt and peck on the screen to open it?

Setting aside the dubiousness of 'two finger touches instead of one, about a foot to the right' = 'hunt and peck', am I really a freak that I access the glove box less than once a month, probably less than once every two months? Historically it's probably mostly been to put a new insurance card in there.....and now I just carry that on my phone.

Folks sticking their smartphones behind the wheel to serve as a substitute instrument/nav cluster would suggest I am not alone in this.

Luddites be luddites. :) Also pretty sure that's got nothing to do with anything mentioned in your post here.

Requiring a smartphone to serve as key seemed sketchy.

If it involved reaching for it, I'd agree with that. Just as if reaching for a FOB was required.

Using a swipe card as backup to the phone when it failed seemed sketchy.

You mean a FOB you don't have to press a button for? Errrr, not sure why that wouldn't be fine (outside of "I don't want different").

There is the "can't get in the care when the entire 12V electrical system is down" issue that I think is an actual design issue. It'll be a rare edge case but it's a real safety issue in very cold climates when in a remotes areas where nearby shelter isn't readily available (and maybe no cell coverage). The solution that occurs to me are the mechanical overrides of the Model S but that are only enabled by a fail-open relay on the 12V supply. *shrug*

Folks reporting a sizable number of glitches with this scheme suggest I am not entirely wrong here. Let's see, try phone. Fail. Open app, try phone. Fail. Reach for wallet, remove card, wave over the right spot and....eurkea (maybe).

That's not design, that's current programming bugs. Welcome to Model 3 Open Beta. Although ultimately with Android phones (maybe occasionally with iOS) occasional popping up software glitches for a small percentage of people may end happening during OS software updates?

But you still have your FOB that you don't have to press a button for for a temporary back-up.

Setting aside the dubiousness of 'two finger touches instead of one, about a foot to the right' = 'hunt and peck', am I really a freak that I access the glove box less than once a month, probably less than once every two months? Historically it's probably mostly been to put a new insurance card in there.....and now I just carry that on my phone.

Luddites be luddites. :) Also pretty sure that's got nothing to do with anything mentioned in your post here.

If it involved reaching for it, I'd agree with that. Just as if reaching for a FOB was required.

You mean a FOB you don't have to press a button for? Errrr, not sure why that wouldn't be fine (outside of "I don't want different").

There is the "can't get in the care when the entire 12V electrical system is down" issue that I think is an actual design issue. It'll be a rare edge case but it's a real safety issue in very cold climates when in a remotes areas where nearby shelter isn't readily available (and maybe no cell coverage). The solution that occurs to me are the mechanical overrides of the Model S but that are only enabled by a fail-open relay on the 12V supply. *shrug*

That's not design, that's current programming bugs. Welcome to Model 3 Open Beta. Although ultimately with Android phones (maybe occasionally with iOS) occasional popping up software glitches for a small percentage of people may end happening during OS software updates?

But you still have your FOB that you don't have to press a button for for a temporary back-up.
Not sure I'd call this guy a Luddite:
Personally, I've never experienced a key fob failure. Sadly, that seems mot to be the case with the phone-as-key fob scheme in Model 3. And since this will be a constantly moving target, as new phones are introduced, and new software updates are issued, I don't see a logical end to the irritation of having to wonder, "Will it work this time?"
That's a design compromise I was not willing to accept. Others may be, and that's perfectly OK.
Robin

Reactions: kavyboy
Not sure I'd call this guy a Luddite:
Personally, I've never experienced a key fob failure. Sadly, that seems mot to be the case with the phone-as-key fob scheme in Model 3. And since this will be a constantly moving target, as new phones are introduced, and new software updates are issued, I don't see a logical end to the irritation of having to wonder, "Will it work this time?"
That's a design compromise I was not willing to accept. Others may be, and that's perfectly OK.
Robin
I was thinking of EXACTLY him, that very video was foremost in my mind when writing that post. Gramps is weirded out because he doesn't think his car is on as he's driving down the highway at 60mph. :p

It certainly hasn't anything to do with the glovebox, or the rest of your post.

EDIT: The turn-by-turn screen placement does look poor, though. That's an issue if you rely on that a lot [visually]. Ironically having that space open for the phone would be GREAT on my Bolt, because the UX of the map via CarPlay is the suck now (and likely for some time knowing Apple). I actually just use Google Maps on my phone often. That's even true there, to an extent. Because you don't have to keep that area clear to read your speed (which turns out is perfectly fine where it in the M3) it becomes an option to use the phone like that. o_O

Last edited:
You're right. You have to press a button to open & then manually close.

This is also true for my Model X. I have to press a button (not on a screen, but still a button press) to open & then manually close. It is also true for the Model S. And the Roadster. And my last BMW. A Prius. A Jeep.

Not sure why this is an issue ....

Reactions: Kant.Ing and ohmman
@McRat

First off, your quotes below that I'm going to dissect & talk about below are tangental to the asinine drivel I was referring above the line you quoted. Which is why it didn't need to be there...I mean besides being asinine drivel. At the very list consider if you really want to open the can of worms of where "hating on Detroit" is happening, and has happened in the recent past in this country, and the roots of that? :(

Read enough threads here and you will see it. Mostly focused at GM even though out of the Big 3, GM has the best reliability:

"Out of me and our family dog, I'm the least hairy"? :cool: Of course GM is going to get the most words here because Chrysler & Ford aren't really even in the EV game yet.

"American cars are junk and fall apart" from people too young to have lived in that era.

I lived through the era of undercarriages & truck boxes rusting out on GM pickups within a few years (and occasionally faster), for example. It's not entirely wrong historically. ;) There was some shoddy mentality fueled by the triopoly of those days. I think though it may be somewhat biased view in that the crap that wasn't built in NA wasn't worth the effort to import. So you tended to see the better stuff only in imports....and also some crap from Japan because that's pretty much all they had.

By the late 80's and 90's though NA was definitely way, way behind Japan. That's honestly earned reputation there.

I have neighbors, friends, and employees who will not consider an American car, usually based on what their dad told them. It's not as bad as it was 20 years ago, but it still lingers.

First off, note implicit in your statement is that the Big 3 still aren't top of the line worldwide. So it's a distortion (because the Big 3 have made a lot of strides) but more-so an overstatement rather than untrue.

This is true. Ironically most "foreign brand" vehicles are at least partially manufactured in the US. To the extent that US brands are, to. And for a VERY long time a lot of what was a "US" vehicle was just as likely to be Canadian origin. That's increasingly extended to Mexico, now.

Further, global ownership of those companies and partnerships that have been forged in the industry makes "American" vs "Non-American" rather vague. Tesla included because of Panasonic angle, although they don't have any manufacturing outside the US (regulation required/dodging port assembly facilities aside).

It is also true that Tesla being seen as outside the auto industry entirely generally doesn't get that historic taint. But that's not supporting your "Tesla is European" contention.

-----

As well GM earned ire fair and square from EV aficionados via their rather brutal scrapping of the EV1 program (and literal scrapping of 1000+ cars, every single one in existence save a single one at the Smithsonian). Remember very negative reaction to that is the core of the genesis of Tesla. The existence of Tesla is a direct, explicit statement about that decision.

Last edited:
Not seeing the issue - presumably you've opened the glovebox to get something out/put something in, so your hand is already there.
It is weirdness in how the user mentally maps the glovebox. That's generally dodgy UX, at best. (Although, again, who are these people that are using the glovebox so much? Especially in the age of lidded consoles.)

EDIT: Not that it'd likely be better to require the screen be tapped, again. The inherent problem there being the distance. Like you point out, your hand is already there from getting something out of the glovebox.

Last edited:
Not seeing the issue - presumably you've opened the glovebox to get something out/put something in, so your hand is already there.
It may not be an issue for you. For me, it's a "telling detail" that reveals an underlying design ethic of Model 3: the UI requires you to take your eyes off the road in order to do otherwise simple things. I can reach across and open the glove box without taking my eyes off the road. I can't do that in Model 3. Not a big deal, certainly. But windshield wipers? Headlights? Cruise control set speed? Traffic spacing interval?
It's not just about the glove box.
You will not be surprised to learn that I keep maps in mine.
My thought is this: here is a car nicely adapted for the world of autonomous driving, where "eyes out" is unimportant. Even unnecessary.
Unfortunately, we don't live in that world yet. And so it's one of Model 3's design compromises - and a safety issue- I was unwilling to live with.
Robin

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."
Are there examples of other glove boxes that open by pressing a button & then close again by pressing that same button?

I can see why manufacturers have a button press, but manually close. I like the option of locking the glovebox (ie, valet mode) - but I'd hate a button press to close it. I just want to close it (as mentioned above, your hand is already there). Old school glove boxes open and close manually, but then you lose the 'valet mode' option.