Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right along with a compelling electric car from another manufacturer.
Maybe. Post cancellation, I think we've identified our vehicle path forward as waiting on the 2019 Acura RDX to hit the market this summer and leasing it for 3 years (better anticipated mpg than a lot of SUVs out there, better awd system, newer tech for the brand) and seeing what EVs are on the market come mid 2021. And who knows - this may even increase our chances of securing the full federal tax credit if we go with a brand other than Tesla, if the credit still exists.

FWIW I've been waffling on cancelling my second reservation, and figure I probably will. I intend to put down a reservation for the Model Y and the only reason I wouldn't cancel the 2nd res for the 3 is if I can get some sort of priority for the Y by transforming the existing 3 reservation but that strikes me as unlikely.

FWIW I've been waffling on cancelling my second reservation, and figure I probably will. I intend to put down a reservation for the Model Y and the only reason I wouldn't cancel the 2nd res for the 3 is if I can get some sort of priority for the Y by transforming the existing 3 reservation but that strikes me as unlikely.

AT this point that is my strategy, subject to change, of course...

Thank you very much

FURY

That would be great if they allowed that. I'm sure there would be a lot of us jumping ship from the 3 to the Y. If they don't allow such a transfer, I guess we'll just have to stand in line for the Y and then cancel the 3 reservation(s) ourselves.

Reactions: 206er
I'm trying, but all I get is dozen of disagrees. Elon has a time zone named after him for crying out loud...
People who have worked directly with and for him refer to this as the "Elon Distortion Field" (EDF) Inside the field, big, hairy audacious goals are not just possible. They're mandatory and scheduled.
This has proven to be a way to burn talented engineers out. I think it's also a way to achieve things that others...sometimes nearly everyone...considers impossible. For all of Bob Lutz's bad mouthing of late, his very first reaction to the Roadster was, How come this little California company that knows nothing about cars can do this, and we can't? Might be one of his last straight responses to Tesla's success, and Detroit's failure.
I don't place much trust in pronouncements that come from within the EDF. I run everything that radiates out of it through a filter. When investors stop believing there could be some real problems. But I do not have any bones to pick about EM's aiming high, and sometimes doing the impossible. Eventually.
Robin

I don't place much trust in pronouncements that come from within the EDF. I run everything that radiates out of it through a filter. When investors stop believing there could be some real problems. But I do not have any bones to pick about EM's aiming high, and sometimes doing the impossible. Eventually.
Robin

My own "filter" is that when Elon says he will do something with a certain time frame, I add 2-5 years to the time frame. And I keep an open mind that time frames can change because so much can go wrong.

I also like to remind people that Elon, however talented, is still human and can still make mistakes. It does bother me when some people treat him like a deity, much like Steve Jobs was once worshiped. In an era where people are used to a new iPhone every year and instant status updates on Twitter, I think levelheadedness and patience are warranted. Building complicated machines in mass numbers is tough.

My own "filter" is that when Elon says he will do something with a certain time frame, I add 2-5 years to the time frame. And I keep an open mind that time frames can change because so much can go wrong.

I also like to remind people that Elon, however talented, is still human and can still make mistakes. It does bother me when some people treat him like a deity, much like Steve Jobs was once worshiped. In an era where people are used to a new iPhone every year and instant status updates on Twitter, I think levelheadedness and patience are warranted. Building complicated machines in mass numbers is tough.
Well said.
Robin

original plan was 500k Model 3s by 2020. Musk moved it up to 2018 because of its popularity. Pretty sure no one believed that that was possible, but that was the aspiration. And all indications are that he's probably not making 500k Model 3s this year, but he's going to hit 500k well before 2020.

He didn't have to move the dates 2 years early. He's trying to get this car to you all.

Really? Where's my 35K M3?

If the standard is "come through on things I only imagined he promised" then I'd hope you'd understand if I don't put any weight in that. Especially the overtly narcissistic ones like that. :rolleyes:

On the other hand of if you stick to what he actually said on March 31 two years ago, there's only one (maybe two) thing that's missed/broken from the stage on Mar 31, 2016....and some extra stuff that they took on/came through on, too.

Deliveries began by end of 2017. Done. 0-60 mph in less than 6s. Done and some. Faster variants, done (started with, obviously). Supercharger doubled to 7200 worldwide by end of 2017, done. The increase destination charger count to reach 15K didn't come through, I believe. But outside of that and maybe the number of sales offices worldwide (no idea where that's at), any nothing missed at this point.

Now if the $35K base Model 3 doesn't happen, got scrubbed or had no meaningful supply of them to people that signed up? Then that'd be something and then some. If they, for some bizarre reason yanked the Autopilot hardware or the base safety features the base model? Yeah, that'd be a thing. But at this point there is no real evidence any of that's in the works, just some casual speculation about the base price $35K.

Unless you are so audacious/deluded that you would claim you were being promised the faster variants starting at $35K, too? :confused:

-- -- --

There was someone on this forum talking about Musk = Jobs, this "Jobs is Jesus" vibe that floats around. I very much agree there's parallels, a good number of them in my opinion. A prominent one is exactly what you just demonstrated. Imaging he promised to walk on water then berating him when he only swims as far as he stated he intended to. *shrug*

It'd an odd phenomenon.