Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fits 4 6" adults just fine,
You *might* be able to fit 4 6" adults in this: :p
tesla-model-3-diecast-toy-reservation-holder-gift-1024x920.jpg

I really wanted in on Tesla, but I'm now head over heels for the XC40, which wasn't even on my radar before canceling my 3 reservation.

I'm thinking that the XC40 EV version could end up being a contender for best car yet for city living (with a car, lol) - small, sporty, luxurious, SUV(hatchback), fits 4 6" adults just fine, proven safety and reliability brand reputation, no known production problems, and of course, an EV!

Have you been in an XC40? Didn’t know they were stateside yet. I love how the XC40 looks too but want a Tesla so bad! I’m guessing the EV version of the XC40 will be $55k

And this ruins it for the rest of us. Good for those who have seemingly endless play money for stuff like this, but we want in on Tesla too. Let us buy a $46,000 version even. Geesh.

Don't forget, those folks who buy a new car every year, or trade in their P90D for a P100D, are selling their old car into the used-car market. And a recent-year used car is a much better value, because the first owner absorbed the first-mile depreciation. They're actually making it possible for more people to get a Tesla. Folks who buy the First Production car now and then trade up to AWD will make it possible for others to get those First Production cars much cheaper than we're getting them now.

Don't forget, those folks who buy a new car every year, or trade in their P90D for a P100D, are selling their old car into the used-car market. And a recent-year used car is a much better value, because the first owner absorbed the first-mile depreciation. They're actually making it possible for more people to get a Tesla. Folks who buy the First Production car now and then trade up to AWD will make it possible for others to get those First Production cars much cheaper than we're getting them now.

I guess that’s true. I’ve only ever purchased new vehicles (dumb I know, but I just don’t trust other humans haha)

And this ruins it for the rest of us. Good for those who have seemingly endless play money for stuff like this, but we want in on Tesla too. Let us buy a $46,000 version even. Geesh.

No one wants to hear it but I'm just trying to set peoples expectations accordingly so they can make a plan. Like i said, I'd rather take a side job/gig/Uber and stretch to get a Tesla than drive another vehicle. The $27,500 Model 3 is a total fantasy. It won't happen 100% while Model 3 is production constrained.

Even if it wasn't production constrained it does not make financial sense for Tesla to sell a car for $35K when they can sell the same car for $70K where they spend almost nothing in component cost between the $35K/$75K version. Part of their problem/wisdom (we'll see the verdict on it) is dropping in $5K or more of autopilot hardware in every Model 3 with no guarantee that the buyer uptakes on EAP/FSD.

Low chance a $27,500 buyer adds in 5K-8K for EAP/FSD at time of purchase and even less likely they will run 6K-10K on their credit card after the fact.

If you budget $46K for a Tesla, I think you can see a Model 3 in you hands while the tax credit full or at least half at the minimum.

That's a good point Daniel. Once the "speculation" selling is moot after production catches up, first run Model 3s are going to be relatively cheap while the tax credits are still in full effect. And fairly certain that anyone who can afford to trade in a 1st run for a AWD will already have EAP purchased. :) - Though then again, supply of FR Model 3 is still not high and if people see a bargain they will compete for those sales. It's a big game of many factors shifting supply left/right, demand shifting left/right before we end up with the equilibrium.

Last edited:
Have you been in an XC40? Didn’t know they were stateside yet. I love how the XC40 looks too but want a Tesla so bad! I’m guessing the EV version of the XC40 will be $55k
No, being able to fit a rear facing car seat behind my 6'2" frame will be the deciding factor. REEEEEEALLY hoping that the car seats fits as good or better than it did in the Model 3 (seat fit surprisingly well!).

No one wants to hear it but I'm just trying to set peoples expectations accordingly so they can make a plan. Like i said, I'd rather take a side job/gig/Uber and stretch to get a Tesla than drive another vehicle. The $27,500 Model 3 is a total fantasy. It won't happen 100% while Model 3 is production constrained.

Even if it wasn't production constrained it does not make financial sense for Tesla to sell a car for $35K when they can sell the same car for $70K where they spend almost nothing in component cost between the $35K/$75K version. Part of their problem/wisdom (we'll see the verdict on it) is dropping in $5K or more of autopilot hardware in every Model 3 with no guarantee that the buyer uptakes on EAP/FSD.

Low chance a $27,500 buyer adds in 5K-8K for EAP/FSD at time of purchase and even less likely they will run 6K-10K on their credit card after the fact.

If you budget $46K for a Tesla, I think you can see a Model 3 in you hands while the tax credit full or at least half at the minimum.

That's a good point Daniel. Once the "speculation" selling is moot after production catches up, first run Model 3s are going to be relatively cheap while the tax credits are still in full effect. And fairly certain that anyone who can afford to trade in a 1st run for a AWD will already have EAP purchased. :) - Though then again, supply of FR Model 3 is still not high and if people see a bargain they will compete for those sales. It's a big game of many factors shifting supply left/right, demand shifting left/right before we end up with the equilibrium.

I’d like to buy a SR with PUP, white or midnight silver exterior, and EAP. $46,000. Please let me buy it and have it delivered Q1 2019 so I can get $3750 back lol

Reactions: MXWing

An S or X would definitely be worth a side gig, but not the 3. The $49k version is a good car (though reliability is starting to look iffy based on what I'm seeing on TMC), but not super nice or anything I'd take on a second job to grab. Honestly, the PUP interior doesn;t match my definition of premium and should be a standard interior. The exterior, glass roof, and acceleration are what makes this car nice, while the PUP interior - including floor mats, carpeting, glossy black plastic, and fake plastic "wood" strip - needs some attention. Dreading seeing what the base interior ends up looking like.

An S or X would definitely be worth a side gig, but not the 3. The $49k version is a good car [...], but not super nice or anything I'd take on a second job to grab.

And yet another poster said he would not even consider a Model S now, because the Model 3 is such a wonderful car that the additional cost for an S just wouldn't be worth it. I'll be able to chime in on the subject soon. If all goes according to plan, I get my Model 3 late this afternoon.

• Informative
Reactions: 206er and u00mem9
Yeah, been waiting for the right Tesla for over a decade, but more and more, I'm thinking the Model 3 isn't it. My wife is mostly interested in adaptive cruise control and there are many cars on the market now that offer it at much lower prices than Tesla. As a CPA, she has a problem with buying four features she doesn't need to get the one she wants, with beta software at that. She has also noted that to charge a Model 3, she would have to back down our driveway, which isn't very wide.