Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only things left to figure out are if we'll lease or test the Volvo Care subscription (most attractive features here are no real down payment, no maintenance concerns, and possibly get to upgrade to an all-electric Volvo 24 months later) and see/sit in one to evaluate how well 2 rear-facing car seats fit.

I'm not against Care By Volvo, and was recently even considering it, but it's worth talking about a few points:
  • Maintenance is not a major concern on a 2-3 year lease
  • You can negotiate $0 down on a lease too
  • Insurance is included - IMO this is the only significant financial difference from a lease, although it doesn't make up the difference for me.
  • You can actually upgrade every 12 months if you're willing to re-sign to an additional 24 months, which is nice
  • In the Care by Volvo announcement they claim that you'll be able to borrow an XC90 a few days every year for free, which is nice
  • The XC40 will be getting a plug-in hybrid config in the next year or so (although config hasn't been announce). A plug-in hybrid already exists for the XC60/XC90/V90 and is coming in late 2018 for the V60.

I've thought a lot about this, and some know about my general feelings from the "general" thread, but here's another way to look at it:

-They screwed up - dropped the ball/fumbled/lost the puck/missed the basket....so now instead of focusing on the first 150,000 first day/online reservation holders, they have to go for the higher margins (which they were going to do, but not so frantically like now) to recoup the money they lost with the battery module line f-up. So because of their mistake, I, by no fault of my own, am pushed back almost another year simply because I want a certain version when I had already waited 2 years.

If anything, I hope they try and redeem themselves by pushing out the tax credit to Q3 like it's being talked about on here. Do I need it to get the car? NO, but it would be a nice. It's kinda the "early bird gets the worm" idea. I did my research with the company years ago, stood in line to make sure I was early enough in the list to get the tax credit, and then not get it...well....sigh....I just want the damn car. :)

Last edited:
I did my research with the company years ago, stood in line to make sure I was early enough in the list to get the tax credit,
When you stood in line, what was the timeline for Model 3 production, and how could you "make sure" you could get the credit when your research would have told you Tesla is always late and always has production delays?

Reactions: MXWing
I'm not against Care By Volvo, and was recently even considering it, but it's worth talking about a few points:
  • Maintenance is not a major concern on a 2-3 year lease
  • You can negotiate $0 down on a lease too
  • Insurance is included - IMO this is the only significant financial difference from a lease, although it doesn't make up the difference for me.
  • You can actually upgrade every 12 months if you're willing to re-sign to an additional 24 months, which is nice
  • In the Care by Volvo announcement they claim that you'll be able to borrow an XC90 a few days every year for free, which is nice
  • The XC40 will be getting a plug-in hybrid config in the next year or so (although config hasn't been announce). A plug-in hybrid already exists for the XC60/XC90/V90 and is coming in late 2018 for the V60.

I don’t think the “borrow another Volvo” option is part of the U.S. version of care by Volvo.

Reactions: pdxrob
"Even though Tesla can technically produce a car that sells for $35K".
We dont know if that is true as of now do we?
correct - add sales tax/delivery/insurance

IF someone takes delivery of a $35,000 model it MAY be the ONLY BASE priced car over $30k that anyone ever bought.
Can anyone report any known BASE (no options) car over $30k (any mke) that someone bought ??
Will anyone get a BASE Model 3 ?

When you stood in line, what was the timeline for Model 3 production, and how could you "make sure" you could get the credit when your research would have told you Tesla is always late and always has production delays?
You are right, there was no "for sure" thing, but I was proactive and tried to do everything possible to set myself up to get it....even making sure I had a whole other quarter of padding before the credit dropped, but with how Tesla has handled this, meh. I will get only half of it unless they move it to the 3Q. That's just a side negative out of this whole thing though....

Last edited:

Since the phase-out of the federal tax credit is based on how many units a manufacturer has sold, he didn't need to be concerned about when the Model 3 would come out. He only had to be concerned about being early enough in the production order, since it was unlikely that a delay in Model 3 would result in enough S/X sales to run out the credit. Tesla's decision to (apparently) fill all First Production LR orders before any SR Base orders, while perhaps necessary for the financial health of the company, was the thing that will (probably) push him out beyond the tax credit availability.

Reactions: u00mem9
Since the phase-out of the federal tax credit is based on how many units a manufacturer has sold, he didn't need to be concerned about when the Model 3 would come out. He only had to be concerned about being early enough in the production order, since it was unlikely that a delay in Model 3 would result in enough S/X sales to run out the credit. Tesla's decision to (apparently) fill all First Production LR orders before any SR Base orders, while perhaps necessary for the financial health of the company, was the thing that will (probably) push him out beyond the tax credit availability.
He knew Tesla prioritizes more expensive models first and that they are always delayed with new products so it always should have been understood to be a real possibility. It was for me. I'm not happy about it but I am surprised by how many people didn't seem to realize this.

Reactions: MXWing
Definitely underestimated how difficult finding a replacement for the Model 3 would be since all non-newer Tesla options just kinda suck...

But I think that our post-cancellation odyssey might be leading us to the Volvo XC40! Seems like the best ICE bang for the buck, and it's size could make it perfect for our city life/occasional desire to utilize AWD for trips over the mountains.
That is on my short list if, after test driving, I do not go with the model 3. They are also coming out with a smaller sedan built on the same platform but, not until later this year or early next - so that might be too long to wait.

He knew Tesla prioritizes more expensive models first and that they are always delayed with new products so it always should have been understood to be a real possibility. It was for me. I'm not happy about it but I am surprised by how many people didn't seem to realize this.
Come on man. We had a base underlining assumption that Tesla would be late because of past events, by for two years the company and Elon said they were designing the car and implementing the manufacturing process to be easier to handle compared to the S/X. Did I think there would be growing pains? Yes. But not like this.

I'm surprised by the magnitude of the screw up, that's all....

When everyone stood in line an ordered there was no expectation that we would be at full or anywhere near full production by Feb 02018. The original target was production to start in late 2017 and reach 400,000 (+ 100k S+X) in 2020. Granted by May he had accelerated the target to 2018 but for all those who put their deposit down in March that was the original expectation.

VIN being reported with AWD designation, so probably not.

No way on SR being before AWD. Tesla has enough demand to sell AWD+LR+PUP as a $54K vehicle. If you are in for $54K, you are in for another $5K for EAP bringing sales price to $59K.

You will have some $54K first run owners, trading in for a $59K AWD. Who will trade in again for the $75K performance model.

I've seen P90D trading in for P100D. I change my phone yearly but owners that change cars yearly or pay for new Roadster upfront is another level and are out there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dm33
No way on SR being before AWD. Tesla has enough demand to sell AWD+LR+PUP as a $54K vehicle. If you are in for $54K, you are in for another $5K for EAP bringing sales price to $59K.

You will have some $54K first run owners, trading in for a $59K AWD. Who will trade in again for the $75K performance model.

I've seen P90D trading in for P100D. I change my phone yearly but owners that change cars yearly or pay for new Roadster upfront is another level and are out there.

And this ruins it for the rest of us. Good for those who have seemingly endless play money for stuff like this, but we want in on Tesla too. Let us buy a $46,000 version even. Geesh.

And this ruins it for the rest of us. Good for those who have seemingly endless play money for stuff like this, but we want in on Tesla too. Let us buy a $46,000 version even. Geesh.
I really wanted in on Tesla, but I'm now head over heels for the XC40, which wasn't even on my radar before canceling my 3 reservation.

I'm thinking that the XC40 EV version could end up being a contender for best car yet for city living (with a car, lol) - small, sporty, luxurious, SUV(hatchback), fits 4 6" adults just fine, proven safety and reliability brand reputation, no known production problems, and of course, an EV!