Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot afford the X with all the options. Thinking cut the AP 2.0...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the rim of buying Model X. But the price is really high if I add many options.
6 seater is a must otherwise I would go Model S.
Also I want to have the $1000 climate control.

Then here come the AP and thd Full self driving. Without AP it is meaningless . But that's $5000. Fine.
Full Self Driving is an option that I can install later for $4000 instead of doing it for $3000 now. However, as you know,
the actually activation date is unknown, maybe end of 2017. It doesn't make sense to have it now.

So what do you think?

Also I want to have the $1000 climate control.
I am not aware of any such option. Please explain.
Just my opinion, but without autopilot what is the point of the car?
I would say, because it is one of the best cars you can buy at any price and it is clearly the finest EV ever built? (Along with the Model S).

AP is amazing even at this early point in its development, but it is hardly an essential feature.

Personally, I think that the Full Self-driving is going to be one of the most important features of this car.

However, since that's going to be over a year before the software is ready, I see no issue with waiting to pay for it at a later time, especially if it's going to make things difficult for you financially, now. Even if you can pay for it now, there may be some risk, like your standard Tesla delays (might take 2 years for it to fully activate) or regulatory hurdles, especially in the US with the new presidency.

Trump sounds like he is going to be a puppet to the Oil, Gas and legacy auto industry (specifically the Koch brothers). He has already said he wants to introduce measures to prevent Elon Musk from failing again (whatever that means). I think Tesla is going to find some resistance with this new administration.

Anyway, if you can afford Enhanced AutoPilot (EAP), I would order it now, since it should be available by the time the vehicle is delivered (assuming you're ordering today).

I'd agree with most posters. Order what you know you can not add later; subzero, towing, etc. Premium sound is not a must for many people as standard is good (see many threads on here). Enhanced Autopilot you could add say in 6 months to 1 year and you'll then feel like you have something new again, and functionality should be mature by then.

Self driving I'd say leave off for sure, as it isn't much more to activate and can save up for it as well. It may be a good 2 years out or 3-4 until functionality is really all there. In fact, some use of it may not be allowed by local/state/federal governments for a while, or there could even worst case need to be hardware changes or additions for full autonomous required by laws or after discovering technically real world use... Honestly, the AP2 hardware should make everything promised originally in the original Autopilot announcements more reliable finally (Summons, Autopark, true lanekeep, etc.). The new functionality promised weeks ago, may end up doing partially what is promised as well, and require AP3+ hardware...

Personally I like to drive my cars, I have AP on my X and like it but would not get the next version. If I wanted someone to drive my car I would take the bus. I really like the TACC and use this all the time.
Totally agree but at least with AP1 cars, I don't think you get TACC without AP. I find auto steer to be a gimmick most of the time.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
the actually activation date is unknown, maybe end of 2017.
In my opinion the best case scenario is that Tesla actually managed to do their cross country demonstration at that time. I think the best case for it to be available to customers is at the end of 2018, but I feel that even that is rather optimistic not just because of Tesla time, but in addition there needs to be regulatory approval.

In my opinion the best case scenario is that Tesla actually managed to do their cross country demonstration at that time. I think the best case for it to be available to customers is at the end of 2018, but I feel that even that is rather optimistic not just because of Tesla time, but in addition there needs to be regulatory approval.
Seem like there will be additional features/value in buying FSD even before (if) "no driver required" operation n is allowed/unlocked. Examples talked about in the forums include: stoplight and stop sign recognition/handling, automated driving thru freeway off-ramps continuing on local streets, complex summon/parking, etc.

None of this requires legal approval any more than AP1 features yet it will be a huge advance in everyday automation and safety IMO. I'm looking forward to being an early adopter so I bought EAP plus FSD.

Let the adventure begin.....