Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot Charge - Poor Grid Power Quality Possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this lovely message this weekend while trying to charge my vehicle at home. Using a wallbox charger rated for 240v and 40amps. Had the electrician come out and verify everything is connected properly and verified proper juice is getting to the wallbox and coming out of the wallbox. Took the vehicle to the supercharger and its working fine but i dont want to have to supercharge every time. Tesla is looking to charge me a $100 diagnostic fee to try and figure out the problem. Anyone ever have this issue?

Attachments

• 20230414_164843155_iOS.jpg
    20230414_164843155_iOS.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 163
Got this lovely message this weekend while trying to charge my vehicle at home. Using a wallbox charger rated for 240v and 40amps. Had the electrician come out and verify everything is connected properly and verified proper juice is getting to the wallbox and coming out of the wallbox. Took the vehicle to the supercharger and its working fine but i dont want to have to supercharge every time. Tesla is looking to charge me a $100 diagnostic fee to try and figure out the problem. Anyone ever have this issue?
Could be power company issue.
What voltage does car say when charging starts?

i thought that as well but i had the power company come by this weekend and they assured me there is no grid issue and that the home is getting sufficient juice from the transformer
It may have, at the time.
I take it this is setup that has been working?
Has outdoor temperature changed recently?
Can try lower current with wallbox and also try mobile connector. If those also throw errors, then it seems PoCo or vehicle charger, in which case try mobile connector somewhere else. Or an AC J1772 charge point to rule out the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Things I’d try:

1) L1 charging with mobile connector at home - if this doesn’t work it’s very likely a problem with the onboard charger in your car.

2) L1 charging somewhere else - just to rule out the very small possibility that there is something about the power at your home the car doesn’t like

3) If L1 charging works at home, try L2 charging with your Wallbox with the amps turned down in the car to something less than 24 (start at like 12 or 16). If that works, one of the rectifier boards in your car’s onboard charger is likely failing.

4) L2 charging at another location at various amperages. If this works, prime suspect is the wallbox.

Reactions: Joselucas00
Thank you @dmurphy that is really appreciated. I am in Central NJ in Howell. I am gonna try and search for one nearby

If you can get over by Freehold, DVH Freehold Nissan has a couple of J1772 plugs. Just use your adapter that came with the car.

The Monroe Public Library also has a Tesla charger.

World VW in Neptune also has J1772.

Oh, there’s also two J1772 chargers at the outlets in Tinton Falls. Don’t use the CCS fast chargers or Superchargers — that’s DC power and takes a different path thru the car.

Good luck!!

If you can get over by Freehold, DVH Freehold Nissan has a couple of J1772 plugs. Just use your adapter that came with the car.

The Monroe Public Library also has a Tesla charger.

World VW in Neptune also has J1772.

Oh, there’s also two J1772 chargers at the outlets in Tinton Falls. Don’t use the CCS fast chargers or Superchargers — that’s DC power and takes a different path thru the car.

Good luck!!
So an update. I used the J1772 charger at the tinton falls outlet and i received the same error message. Does anyone know if the rectifier boards are covered under the battery warranty?

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy