Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot Charge - Poor Grid Power Quality Possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone in our local Tesla Facebook group had this issue a couple of weeks ago; Supercharging worked fine but Level 2 charging at home suddenly didn't. She got the same error you did, on a Model S about 10 years old. She asked in the group if she could come by someone's house to test her car with another wall connector. Turns out we were closest and she came to our place. Our wall connector didn't work for her car either, unfortunately. She posted a follow-up a few days later, after a visit to Tesla service, and turns out it was a Power Conversion System (PCS) issue. Not sure if she's had it repaired yet.

As you probably know, the Wall Connector and other home "chargers" aren't actually chargers, but merely supply AC current to the car, which converts it to DC and uses its own on-board charger to charge the battery. Conversely, when you Supercharge, that's DC to DC, and thus the Supercharger does actually serve as the charger and bypasses the car's own on-board charger. This likely explains why you're able to Supercharge but not charge at home.

Last edited:
Someone in our local Tesla Facebook group had this issue a couple of weeks ago; Supercharging worked fine but Level 2 charging at home suddenly didn't. She asked in the group if she could come by someone's house to test her car with another wall connectors. Turns out we were closest and she came to our place. Our wall connector didn't work for her car either, unfortunately. She posted a follow-up a few days later, after a visit to Tesla service, and turns out it was a Power Conversion System (PCS) issue. Not sure if she's had it repaired yet.

As you probably know, the Wall Connector and other home "chargers" aren't actually chargers, but merely supply AC current to the car, which converts it to DC and uses its own on-board charger to charge the battery. Conversely, when you Supercharge, that's DC to DC, and thus the Supercharger does actually serve as the charger and bypasses the car's own on-board charger. This likely explains why you're able to Supercharge but not charge at home.
I wonder how much Tesla is going to hit us for to have the onboard charger replaced. I have read so many posts regarding these being faulty. Again truly a disappointment

So an update. I used the J1772 charger at the tinton falls outlet and i received the same error message. Does anyone know if the rectifier boards are covered under the battery warranty?

Ah man, sorry. Sounds like a trip to the Service Center is in order. I've heard good things about the new service center in Eatontown, so thankfully that's pretty close for you.

Good luck - sorry, I'm guessing you'll be needing an onboard charger.... Maybe it'll be lucky and "just" the charging port, but more likely the charger. :(

That is truly disappointing. Any thoughts on this being related to the Chare Port door being replaced a month ago? I wasnt having this issue prior to them replacing the Charge Port.
Probably not very related. Supercharging and AC use the same cables/ connections from the port to the charger, so it seems more charger than port.
Unless the port is annoying the wall connector or mobile charger making them react in a way that then appears like a grid issue.

Ah man, sorry. Sounds like a trip to the Service Center is in order. I've heard good things about the new service center in Eatontown, so thankfully that's pretty close for you.

Good luck - sorry, I'm guessing you'll be needing an onboard charger.... Maybe it'll be lucky and "just" the charging port, but more likely the charger. :(
Thank you everyone on this thread for your help. I will update once i get an estimate