Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot super charge my antique 2013 S (jan build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After v9 was loaded i tried to make my normal drive to DC. I got to Kingsland Ga, it would not charge. I called Tesla, they couldn't figure it out. Told me to return to Jax SC. I did, they couldn't figure it out. It worked on one set 4a,b, but no other. They suggested port. I said no. Left and struggled to Richmond. Went to Service Center. Your port is bad. NOT. i paid 600, but they still couldn't get it to charge. 2 days, they got it to charge. SW modification. I got home. 4 weeks ago i tried to super charge, ZERO, NOTHING BUT RED RING. i tried at brand new super chargers on 210, (30 miles). They all worked perfect. Went to one year old chargers at east Jax. Only one set works 4a,b. They worked in November. Now Tesla says i cannot charge at NEW rev 5 chargers. The new v9 is looking to make handshake with charger inverter. But, that part of v9 did not load into my firmware, and will not load into my 2012 box under back seat.
Can you tell i am not happy? Hech yes, they say it will be months before they write new sw. NO, give me new silver box under my seat FREE. This is pure bs.
They want to write new sw to install in every Gen 1 thru 4 super charger. While i am trapped here at home. I emailed Tesla service to no avail. Zero. The jax service center is frozen out. They can only ask, HQ.

Whoa, that suuuucks. I have been wondering if some of these kinds of things were going to start happening at some point, where their rapid changing of so many things was going to start breaking compatibility with some older things, like the new MCU being unable to communicate with using older wall connectors.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
At the superchargers after plugging in do you get the red ring? That's what I've been seeing recently on my 2012 S85.

After a lot of struggle I figured out a workaround to this issue. When you see the red ring, press the button on the charger handle (the one that normally opens the charge port door). Keep the charger fully inserted while pressing the button and for this whole process. After about 1 second of pressing the button, let go of the button. Doing this causes the latch mechanism to disengage and re-engage, the red light turns white and then blinks blue. After 5 seconds or so the light blinks green and charging begins.

I'm hoping this is your issue since this action might fix it. Good luck!

I saw this last Sunday at Buttonwillow. (Red Ring). I called Tesla Service. They said that there was an update out that I had not received yet to address this issue. I am not sure of the update number, but they did tell me. They had me power off the car completely for two minutes, then restart the car and then do an MCU reboot. (two buttons above the scroll wheels) I was then able to charge.

Last edited:
1. No, there are other owners having same problems, confirmed on here and Tesla
2. Plug in, 2 seconds goes RED. At Gen 1
3. Plug into Gen 5, goes blue, like minute of bling blue it goes green
Computer guy from service center went with me twice to see it,
WARNING, i fogot, when i plug into Gen 5, and another car is on the same big inverter, it kicks him totally off that charger. Confirmed by Tesla man in person,

^^ I really believe if you try my finding on post#4 it will work for you. I've been seeing the exact same thing on a random set of superchargers. (Not sure how to tell if it's a gen 5 charger or any other gen). It's a really quick and easy "workaround" while they fix they work on the software update.

We have a mobile charger repairman in Florida. He said the new ones are Gen 5, like 2018.
My Gen 1s here are 5 yrs old
I was told by 2 service centers that the new chargers were putting out 180 amp to cars. One guy in a X told me he was at one and it took 15 minutes to fill up car. Service center told they have been turned back to 120 amps. They smoked a few cars.
Giggle, i have dual chargers, i plugged into charger at Hilton in Daytona. Smoked it. It was not wired correctly to give out 80 amps. Literly smoked it on fire. I unplugged instantly. The manager said i was first to do that. I explained the difference in single draw of 32 amps and me to pull 80 amps. Giggle.

1. No, there are other owners having same problems, confirmed on here and Tesla
2. Plug in, 2 seconds goes RED. At Gen 1
3. Plug into Gen 5, goes blue, like minute of bling blue it goes green
Computer guy from service center went with me twice to see it,
WARNING, i fogot, when i plug into Gen 5, and another car is on the same big inverter, it kicks him totally off that charger. Confirmed by Tesla man in person,
Whoa. Thanks for the warnings and descriptions. This really sucks on a road trip.

I was told by 2 service centers that the new chargers were putting out 180 amp to cars. One guy in a X told me he was at one and it took 15 minutes to fill up car. Service center told they have been turned back to 120 amps. They smoked a few cars.
Lasttoy - I don't understand the 180 amps, 120 amps, 32 amps discussion - dual chargers shouldn't play a role in supercharging
Because he's got the units wrong. Normal Supercharging goes up to about 300A. I had heard a brief rumor about some Superchargers outputting too much power briefly and damaging a few cars before they got corrected. I think he means 180kW versus 120kW. That's not supposed to be amps.
And yes, I've heard of a few of the wall connectors that were on a low power circuit, but were accidentally configured to allow higher amps. When a dual charger car hooked up, the wall connector tried to supply 80A and burned up its wiring connections that were only for something like a 40A circuit.

1. Lasttoy: would you provide for us your Tesla's software version?

2. "180 amp (likely kilowatts) Superchargers" - That needs some kind of corroboration. Which SpC sites have, supposedly, been deemed as such?

• Informative
Sorry, kw an amps get mixed up. The Service Center said all new chargers have been put back to 120kw.

I tried today at charger, same red ring. I called service center, my sw guy is out sick.

It seems the older the car the worse the problem , mine jan 2013 but parts were made in 2012.
I talked a Microsoft engineer, he agreed with me. There is no way they would load a new os onto a 5 yr old chip set.
But evidently the programmers at Tesla tried without testing some real old cars.

I didnt mean to equate super charging with dual chargers. I just thought you all would laugh at a smoking hotel charger. Sorry.

I will call tomorrow and see if my guy can get the so called patch. But Fremont is 3 hours behind us.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and GSP
I had this issue at the Knoxville TN superchargers recently. Would plug in and charge port ring would turn red. Would have to unplug and then replug the supercharger cable into the car for the charging to start. Called Tesla thinking there was an issue with my car and was told the problem is with the Knoxville superchargers themselves.

On January 12 I used the Savannah GA and Port Orange FL superchargers and experienced the same problem. Called local Tesla service center and they told me to stop by and they would check the car. When I arrived they checked my car and told me the car has no issue but that there is a software bug between the supercharger software and my 2013 P85. Was told they are working on the issue and it may be resolved soon.

I subsequently stopped at another supercharger that opened recently and had no issue. So maybe Tesla fixed the matter already.

BTW, I’m still running on FW 8.1 in the car. When I asked whether the software update would be for the car, Tesla service people said no, it is the superchargers that will have their software updated to fix the problem.

• Informative
I actually am puzzled that Tesla says its the charger. Which comes first the chicken or the egg?
Our cars were fine till v9. My SC blamed the charger. I said NO. Its the new os they installed.
The old chargers work fine with the NEW cars? So, what changed? Lets say both, the new Gen 5 charger has sw looking for v9. New cars have the handshake sw needed for v9?
Either way, Tesla needs to install a patch in All Gen 1 thru 4 chargers,
AND, a patch in our old cars.

Any way you look at it, it was a MAJOR screwup by software engineering team (both charger and car teams).not to test on the old cars.
I worked IT in Army for 20 yrs, moto, test, test, test with E1 private and O6 , then deploy. This did not happen at Tesla.
Not to say any of us are happy with other things changed. No one asked us what we wanted changed, ie, music screen pop up.
I wanted close windows added to my app. And the STUPID chg, we cant close our sunroof over 70mph. That was insane change. I jump on interstate and hit it well over 70 , forget to close roof, have to pull over 3 lanes to get down to 70.
Can you tell i am mad as hech over this v9.

• Love