Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot super charge my antique 2013 S (jan build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you posted that, saying it was a comment in another thread, I thought, "Oh, someone else who was having this problem got it resolved. That's nice of you to let @Lasttoy know about it in his thread here that he created for this problem." Oh--nevermind. That's him posting about it in an entirely different thread instead of here, where he brought up the issue. :confused:

I ran into this problem with my 2013 and it led to a whole HOST of communication errors with Tesla. First I called them about it and they said "oh its because your car can't supercharge at all, you need to take it in to get that enabled".

I told them that's impossible because it has always had supercharging (bought it used but the previous owner specifically said it did) and they said "don't know what to tell you, based on your configuration it cannot supercharge".

I waited weeks to get a SC appointment and when I did the guy said, "I don't know what to tell you, if your car can't supercharge now, it never will be able to, that upgrade program is too old to activate now"

He emails me a few days later "you should try supercharging again, it may work now"

I did, got red-ring 2 times, but on the third connect, it started working again. Big ol' confusing mess that was.

So is this issue fixed or not? I was at the Indio charger last week. A couple showed up in a 2015 S85 and could not charge at any stall. All the chargers previously worked on the cars that were before them and all continued to work on cars that used them after they left. They were on the phone with Tesla support for 30 minutes before being told they'd need to go back to palm springs to use the charger there.

I can't wait to see Audi's first ad for their EV. It will open showing Tesla owners frantically moving from one supercharger to another, only to get rejected. It will show Teslas being loaded onto flatbeds. Sad faces. Sad music.I can't wait for the competition to take advantage of all these self-induced Tesla wounds. Serves them right.

Tesla changes things constantly, then reverses itself on some things, then reverses itself five more times to the point where it's almost impossible to track anything including compatibility. You reap what you sow.

I had the same charging troubles at the Silverthorne SC a couple days ago. This was the first time my wifes car has been at a superchager since V9 update, several attempts to get it to charge as it would keep stopping and was not able to get more than 30kw of power after getting it working. Granted the SC was full with a line waiting so maybe charger issue but I seemed to be the only one having an issue there and the only older car.

Oct. 2013 build SW 2019.24.1.5

I had the same charging troubles at the Silverthorne SC a couple days ago. This was the first time my wifes car has been at a superchager since V9 update, several attempts to get it to charge as it would keep stopping and was not able to get more than 30kw of power after getting it working. Granted the SC was full with a line waiting so maybe charger issue but I seemed to be the only one having an issue there and the only older car.

Oct. 2013 build SW 2019.24.1.5

I am 99% sure that "supercharger stopping before reaching desired charge" and "supercharger delivering 30kw/h" are totally different problems.

Slow supercharging at a full supercharger station is a result of load-sharing with another car that's consuming the bulk of that charger's available power. At any given station there are pairs of chargers that share a feed and if one car is consuming 100kw/h your car will be throttled to substantially less than your car's maximum charge rate. This will continue until the other car tapers down.

I presume if your car is throwing an error and aborting the supercharger process, there will be a log that can (hopefully) be examined remotely.

The next challenge would be to try to talk to someone at tesla; maybe open a service center request from the app or tesla account web page explaining the problem.

I am 99% sure that "supercharger stopping before reaching desired charge" and "supercharger delivering 30kw/h" are totally different problems.

Slow supercharging at a full supercharger station is a result of load-sharing with another car that's consuming the bulk of that charger's available power. At any given station there are pairs of chargers that share a feed and if one car is consuming 100kw/h your car will be throttled to substantially less than your car's maximum charge rate. This will continue until the other car tapers down.

I presume if your car is throwing an error and aborting the supercharger process, there will be a log that can (hopefully) be examined remotely.

The next challenge would be to try to talk to someone at tesla; maybe open a service center request from the app or tesla account web page explaining the problem.

Agree 2 diff issues but getting red ring and 'unable to charge' error with several attempts seems the same. Eventually getting it to charge but only at 30kwh on a full SC rated at 150kw seems disappointingly normal.

Agree 2 diff issues but getting red ring and 'unable to charge' error with several attempts seems the same. Eventually getting it to charge but only at 30kwh on a full SC rated at 150kw seems disappointingly normal.

Wait for whoever is charging to start to taper and your charge rate will go up.

The good news is that if your "peer" is a 3 or newer S they'll soak up a full charge quickly. Or as tesla rolls out the V3 chargers you'll get max rate quickly as they don't load share.

I'm experiencing a similar issue with slow V2 SuC speeds on our 2013 S85. We don't SuC very often but I gave it a try in Redondo Beach where 2 stalls were out of order and had to wait about 10 min for an available stall. I plugged in and it slowly ticked its way up to 32kW then stabilized at 30kW with a 18% SOC. My cabinet buddy (S100D) was there for over an hour so I figured something was very wrong with the entire SuC. I ended up going to the "urban SuC" in Manhattan Beach and got the full 72kW rate.

Last night my wife forgot to charge the car overnight so I drove to our nearest V2 SuC in Fountain Valley. I plugged in with 30% SOC and the fastest I got was 30kW. 20 minutes later it eventually got up to 40kW, but I don't recall it going any higher. The lot was maybe 20% utilized and I was not sharing the cabinet potential with anyone. I'm going to chat with Tesla Service to see if they can diagnose the car remotely and look at the charging history. Charging probably took an extra 30 minutes at the reduced speed, and I would want this resolved before we take another road trip.

These slower V2 speeds coincide with the 2019.20.X update. I'll check with Tesla if there's something wrong with my hardware though AC charging and Urban charging seems to be fine.

So is the original issue fixed?

Yes, it was fixed back in March according to this poster:

Your service center seems to be run by a jerk. All sw issues are tested free at my sc.
I got a call yesterday from my sc telling new sw has been loaded on all old gen 1 super chagrs and to go test it. I went to the super chargers, low and behold i could charge again.
My service center is in state of turmoil. Everytime i go i meet new faces.