Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot super charge my antique 2013 S (jan build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swegman, none of old sites work in Fl. confirmed by Tesla . Good luck.
All brand new ones work here on 210, and one in east jax, number 4.

Tesla charged my car at the Rivera Beach FL superchargers next to the service center (original location, not the new superchargers that recently opened nearby) without issue on January 14. Those superchargers have been there for a couple of years. Car charged without issue.

I charged at St. Augustine FL on January 12 without issue and those superchargers have been there for years.

Also, I do NOT think the issue is related to v9 being installed on our “old” cars because I have NOT installed v9 on my car. I am still running v8.1 (2018.34) on my car. As I indicated above, Tesla service said the issue was with respect to a recent firmware upload to the superchargers and that the bug was being addressed with an update of the supercharger firmware.

I actually am puzzled that Tesla says its the charger. Which comes first the chicken or the egg?
Our cars were fine till v9. My SC blamed the charger. I said NO. Its the new os they installed.
The old chargers work fine with the NEW cars? So, what changed? Lets say both, the new Gen 5 charger has sw looking for v9. New cars have the handshake sw needed for v9?
Either way, Tesla needs to install a patch in All Gen 1 thru 4 chargers,
AND, a patch in our old cars.

Any way you look at it, it was a MAJOR screwup by software engineering team (both charger and car teams).not to test on the old cars.
I worked IT in Army for 20 yrs, moto, test, test, test with E1 private and O6 , then deploy. This did not happen at Tesla.
Not to say any of us are happy with other things changed. No one asked us what we wanted changed, ie, music screen pop up.
I wanted close windows added to my app. And the STUPID chg, we cant close our sunroof over 70mph. That was insane change. I jump on interstate and hit it well over 70 , forget to close roof, have to pull over 3 lanes to get down to 70.
Can you tell i am mad as hech over this v9.

It doesn't necessarily have to be fixed on the side that broke it. Somebody changed something in the charging protocol on one or both sides which broke it on some cars. It may even be a timing thing where only SOME older cars miss a response window by a tiny bit. A fix for something like that could come from either side, depending on which side the engineers prefer to fix it from.

Last edited:
It doesn't necessarily have to be fixed on the side that broke it. Somebody either changed something in the charging protocol on one or both sides which broke it on some cars. It may even be a timing thing where only SOME older cars miss a response window by a tiny bit. A fix for something like that could come from either side, depending on which side the engineers prefer to fix it from.

Although you can't necessarily force a fix on the cars. Some people will not upgrade to V9, and the update to the Superchargers broke functionality that they paid for. So it likely has to be fixed on the Supercharger side.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Although you can't necessarily force a fix on the cars. Some people will not upgrade to V9, and the update to the Superchargers broke functionality that they paid for. So it likely has to be fixed on the Supercharger side.
You CAN tell customers that it will only be fixed if they allow their car to update. I agree that fixing it on the charger side has advantages, but if it's a real bug on the car side, they might not want to do it as a workaround on the charger side.

UPDATE, 915am Wed
jax service center says waiting on Tesla to write new software for super chargers?
He says he is waiting, nothing left for service center .
How do we elevate this to Elon?

Did you try the potential solution Araman0 suggested (see below)? Also is there any way they can restore the older software version on your car?

...When you see the red ring, press the button on the charger handle (the one that normally opens the charge port door). Keep the charger fully inserted while pressing the button and for this whole process. After about 1 second of pressing the button, let go of the button. Doing this causes the latch mechanism to disengage and re-engage, the red light turns white and then blinks blue. After 5 seconds or so the light blinks green and charging begins.

I'm hoping this is your issue since this action might fix it. Good luck!

I’ll add to the list of people having problems. I have a Feb. 2013 car and had lots of supercharging difficulties on our road trip from NJ to FL and back over Christmas. Absolutely could not get the car to charge at Glen Allen supercharger on the way down, tried multiple stalls multiple times. Tesla Service directed us to the service center that was 8 miles away (we only had 19 miles left). They replaced my charge port and we continued our trip.

Continued to experience problems for the rest of our trip, lots of plugging and unplugging to get the charge to initiate. Even had my supercharge stop completely after about 10 minutes, had to go back out and replug to start again. Another time I got the “charging completed” notification on my phone, but the car was only at about 70%, somehow the charge limit changed itself and I had to change it back to 90% to resume charging.

I’m the original owner of this car and have done lots of road trips and this is the first time I’ve had any issues supercharging. Charging at home on 240v seems to be no problem. Hope they can fix this quickly.

Richmond Service Center is changing ports that are good. I installed a new one the night before i went.
They didn't even plug car in. They changed port then told me it didnt fix it. They sent me home with loaner after 5 hours. Next day at noon, i got my car. Papwork said modified sw.
It is NOT the port.
Email [email protected] get a reply so u know they are aware.

When on a trip u cant tell old from new.
For us on I95, we know. St Augustine is 5 yrs old. Florence is new. There are several south of here that are old and dont work.
The charger repair man blames v9. HQ blames charger guys.
We cant seem to get anyone at HQ to reach out to all service centers with a EMERGENCY TSB.
We are stuck at home. Or folks not on here will get stuck somewhere. Or go to Richmond and pay for new port which is not the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Rocky_H
I’ll add to the list of people having problems. I have a Feb. 2013 car and had lots of supercharging difficulties on our road trip from NJ to FL and back over Christmas. Absolutely could not get the car to charge at Glen Allen supercharger on the way down, tried multiple stalls multiple times. Tesla Service directed us to the service center that was 8 miles away (we only had 19 miles left). They replaced my charge port and we continued our trip.

Continued to experience problems for the rest of our trip, lots of plugging and unplugging to get the charge to initiate. Even had my supercharge stop completely after about 10 minutes, had to go back out and replug to start again. Another time I got the “charging completed” notification on my phone, but the car was only at about 70%, somehow the charge limit changed itself and I had to change it back to 90% to resume charging.

I’m the original owner of this car and have done lots of road trips and this is the first time I’ve had any issues supercharging. Charging at home on 240v seems to be no problem. Hope they can fix this quickly.

Yikes.

This development is not a complete surprise. Software updates can sometimes inadvertently break functionality in older hardware, or as appears to be the issue here, new hardware isn't compatible with older/earlier versions of the tech. But Tesla needs to fix this, and sooner rather than later.

• Love
I have a 7XXX 2013 that often gets red when super charging, sometimes it takes a couple of attempts then it will charge. I don't move the car, I just keep trying and it does not take too many trys and starts. I thought something might be wrong with the car, but then found this thread. The late 2013 2xxxx has no issues that I have noticed....

Both cars are on 48.12.1

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
2013 Model S 85
In December I updated the software in the car on 12/20/18 and left for a 4,000 mile trip on the 21st. I had the red ring problem at every charge stop (did not have the problem prior to sw update). What I had to do the entire trip was once I got the red ring, I’d pull the charge cable out, put it back in and apply pressure down on the handle. Sometimes it took a few tries but it would charge after doing this. I know this problem is related to the latest software update. Let me tell you, sure made me nervous at each stop...

Also note, I did not have a problem with my mobile charger on trip, so I know this is a communication problem at Superchargers

Gadget, did you go to Service Center and make formal work order,
Did you call the 8777983752 and make sure its in the data base your is having the problem?
I called a dozen times.
BUT, what makes me mad, they are not doing anything to tell us they admit their failure and are fixing it today.
We are trapped at home.
Elon wants to cut 7% of emplyees, he needs to add professional service managers, not cut cost managers.
My service center is packed now. 3s are everywhere. Takes months to get normal appointment.

Tesla charged my car at the Rivera Beach FL superchargers next to the service center (original location, not the new superchargers that recently opened nearby) without issue on January 14. Those superchargers have been there for a couple of years. Car charged without issue.

I charged at St. Augustine FL on January 12 without issue and those superchargers have been there for years.

Also, I do NOT think the issue is related to v9 being installed on our “old” cars because I have NOT installed v9 on my car. I am still running v8.1 (2018.34) on my car. As I indicated above, Tesla service said the issue was with respect to a recent firmware upload to the superchargers and that the bug was being addressed with an update of the supercharger firmware.
Whereas its possible that this problem is caused by an update to the Supercharger firmware, if your car charges at an old Supercharger Station without incident and you have not upgraded to V9, then your experience also happens to reinforce the point that Lasttoy is making, which is that the new version of the car firmware may be the cause of the problem on old Teslas.

Larry

I was on phone to Tesla today for 49 minutes. The boy on the phone said so many incorrect things.
One shock was ""no one else has called in a complaint"", if you r having this problem , please make sure you call the 877 7983752 and file work order.
He was so young he could not understand any computer terms i was using. He kept repeating " your car is equiped correctly and has proper sw".
I asked to speak to his supervisor for which he refused. He finally said "we are working on the problem". I just gave up.
I called my service center and talked to my contact. He read me all of the entries in my Vin. The kid had lied repeatedly.
BUT, they working on a sw fix. God is the only one who knows how long this will take.
I have a suggestion, if you get to a super charger and cant charge, call Tesla, make them send a roll back to take your car in. The boy offered that to me. Idiot. When it gets to SC, they will have to admit its their fault, not your car.
Can you tell I'm mad as hell?
This will take a lot of us complaining, it took 5 minutes to break my car. It should take 5 minutes to fix it. Take me back to v8.

Someone asked my version, here is pic
I am also getting this stupid dont regen marker everyday now. Note i am not anywhere my full battery charge.
20190123_152737_HDR.jpg
20190122_065834.jpg

I'll add my car to the list showing the red ring on first insertion at a Supercharger. Mine is a Nov 2012 car.

I'll also add that I have managed to have my car charge at every single supercharger I've seen this on a number of my roadtrips over the last month(upwards of 20+ superchargers at different locations), both on my current version of 2018.48.12.1 and the previous version of 2018.46.2.

Lasttoy: It sounds like you are the only one seeing the problem you are describing. Everyone else here, with cars both older and newer than yours, has found that by unplugging and then immediately replugging in the supercharger they can charge. Are you absolutely sure that you can't work around this issue in the same way? --Peter

I am also getting this stupid dont regen marker everyday now. Note i am not anywhere my full battery charge.
I was with you on the troubles with Supercharger, but this?! You have got to be f__in' kidding me. You've had this car for 5 or 6 years. This is all day every day throughout the winter. This is nothing new. Cold limits regen--always has, always will. Are you seriously saying you've never noticed this before?

(*Edit* Oh--St. Augustine Florida. I'm still surprised you haven't experienced any cold there in the past 5+ years.)