Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't force a charge at 94%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car charged to 95% in the Octopus Go off peak time overnight and I'm now trying to get it to 100% before I drive 200 miles. I have changed the limit to 100%, the car shows as 94% (95% on Teslafi) but the car just says "charge complete" and won't start charging again.

Is this just a feature of the car as it is close to 100% or does somebody know a way around it?

Definitely not a feature, you should be able to charge to 100%. Have you tried a reboot of the screen? That's always worth trying when you get something that doesn't seem right.

Just restarted the screen and still say charge complete. Looks like it started pulling power for the heater though.

IMG-0337.jpg

My car does the same. I charged up to 95% for a long trip the other day - keeping the last 5% to warm the battery and car in the morning. Despite unplugging and reconnecting and attempted resets it would not let me charge further to the 100%. It however will charge to 100% if I set it at that level when starting in the “daily” zone. I concluded that perhaps it is a “feature” to stop regular small top-ups in the”trip” zone, which I understand can reduce battery life.

My car does the same. I charged up to 95% for a long trip the other day - keeping the last 5% to warm the battery and car in the morning. Despite unplugging and reconnecting and attempted resets it would not let me charge further to the 100%. It however will charge to 100% if I set it at that level when starting in the “daily” zone. I concluded that perhaps it is a “feature” to stop regular small top-ups in the”trip” zone, which I understand can reduce battery life.

Sounds more like a bug to me. I really can’t see that being a ‘feature’, If you regularly set the charge to 100% the car tells you it’s not a brilliant idea.

it’s effectively capping the battery, that’s only be done by a software update on older car, 85’s mainly. Currently subject of a class action in the States. o_O

My car charged to 95% in the Octopus Go off peak time overnight and I'm now trying to get it to 100% before I drive 200 miles. I have changed the limit to 100%, the car shows as 94% (95% on Teslafi) but the car just says "charge complete" and won't start charging again.

Is this just a feature of the car as it is close to 100% or does somebody know a way around it?

Most likely it's the miscalculation of the Battery Management System-BMS. It's accuracy keeps drifting down with time.

By the way, do you faithfully charge daily at 90%?

If not, the calculation drift might be worse and quicker.

The system now will have to learn that at maximum setting and when the charge is complete, it should be 100% and not the old erroneous 94%.

I wouldn't worry about it. As you will take your long road trip, the system will reset the calculation and it will assign "charge complete" as the new 100% and not the old erroneous 94%.

Most likely it's the miscalculation of the Battery Management System-BMS. It's accuracy keeps drifting down with time.

By the way, do you faithfully charge daily at 90%?

If not, the calculation drift might be worse and quicker.

The system now will have to learn that at maximum setting and when the charge is complete, it should be 100% and not the old erroneous 94%.

I wouldn't worry about it. As you will take your long road trip, the system will reset the calculation and it will assign "charge complete" as the new 100% and not the old erroneous 94%.

Some days I only take it down a few % and then charge it back up to 90% but I didn’t charge it a few days last week just to let it go down a bit further. Probably 60-90 on Friday night, 20-65 Saturday night and then 60-95 Sunday (last) night

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Some days I only take it down a few % and then charge it back up to 90% but I didn’t charge it a few days last week just to let it go down a bit further. Probably 60-90 on Friday night, 20-65 Saturday night and then 60-95 Sunday (last) night

No big deal. Nothing is wrong with your battery. Service Center recommends 90% faithfully to keep your battery gauge more accurate so you don't get into seeing "charge complete" at 94%.

Charged the car yesterday with the limit set to 100%. Teslafi says 100% with a range of 307.89 and the car said 99% with 308. Temperature was 7.5C outside and 8.0C inside by the end of the charge. I would say the battery is fine and there was just something strange happening that morning when it wouldn't start charging again

Reactions: Tam
I wonder if it's a starting charging above X rule? If you do one big run up to 100% then that last slow trickle is into a warm battery. If you pause for a bit to 'save' the battery then perhaps it doesn't want to force current into a v full and cold battery?

I am having the same issue. I am no longer able to "top-off" the battery any longer. This problem started sometime after mid August 2019.

I can charge to ANY level I want... 95%, 97%, or even 100% but ONLY if I set that charge level the first time. If the car charges to something around 95% or higher and completes successfully, then no further charges are permitted. Unplugging doesn't help. Waiting 15 hours doesn't help. Even switching from HPWC to UMC doesn't help. The only thing that fixes it is going somewhere else to charge or driving around for a certain amount of time/distance. Upon returning home, I am then able to charge again to any level I want.

This problem doesn't happen at lower levels... for example, you could charge to 80%, then 83%, then 86% and each time it will charge to the higher level as expected. The problem seems to be triggered around >95%.

If you have this issue, please call Tesla and say this is a new bug. You can tell them you have the same issue as my VIN 099677 and I have an open case assigned to "Alex". Tell Tesla we need them to recognize this is a bug that needs to be addressed.