Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide on a color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my MCRed. LOVE IT! However, scraped the left bumper on a parking lot concrete stop and got about a two inch scrape that went through the paint. Not is a highly visible place, but still. Lowest estimate for repair is $975.00. The multi-colors are a lot more expensive to repair than standard colors. Of course, they're taking off the whole bumper and repainting it. Don't think I want to try a touch up myself and other body shops (non-Tesla approved) tell me they don't work on Teslas. Don't know about other scratches--this is the only I got, and hopefully the last. You save a lot on maintenance, but you'll pay plenty for cosmetic repairs unless you have low-deductible collision coverage.

I think white is crazy. Everything shows on white so its the least practical colour you can get. Unless you are OCD freak then I would look for other options. :)

How does the Tesla red handle scratches and chips? Do they stand out like a dark color? Or because it's multi-coat is the primer under also red so you can't really see them?

At this point I'm leaning toward either White or Red. They seem like the easiest to maintain out of the available options.

I have blue & my wife has red. Both look amazing when clean. The red is the better of the two. Both just look like a regular car when dirty. The rock pits on mine are only noticeable up close. I haven't looked closely at my wife's for rock pits. But, if they were bad, I would have noticed.

IMO, you should just get the color you like the best. The pros and cons that you asked about will probably be similar & you'll be happiest with your favorite color.

White, silver and red are the most noticeable and are the most pulled over. I have had 6 black cars in 13 years and have only had a single ticket. I do 80 on the highway regularly, drive fast, but smart and safe. My black cars:

2000 911
2006 C class
2009 335i
1999 Jeep Wrangler (2nd car for a bit)
2013 S4
2017 S3 (lease ends 11/19)
Soon 2019 M3P

Yes, I’ll be getting yet another black car. I wanted to be cheap and get the new free white option... but I decided on black.

Black is too hard to keep clean. I'm lazy. I only wash my car a few times a year, and pretty much never in the winter.

I went for a test drive today. Looked at all the colors. It's down to red and blue. The blue is almost the same color as my BMW. Biggest gripe I have about it is it gets HOT in the summer. Like seats burn you, can’t touch the steering wheel, can barely breath it's so hot. I know Tesla has the ability to switch on the AC ahead of time but I'm not sure how much that helps with things like the seat and steering wheel getting hot.

Now getting the white interior would help with the seats, but man does that look like it'll be hard to keep clean. Like I said above I'm lazy and not the kind of person who likes spending time keeping a car clean.

free white multicoat paint is the way to go. White reflects the sun, does not show swirls, and does not get dirty looking as fast as other colors with the exception or when it gets wet, and then it's mostly on the back. You can wipe it off with quick detailer and a rag if it bothers you. Also the body on the car is primed white. And white was a $2000 option not long ago. Easy decision!

The older silver 3's look good and will how dirt the least IMO, but that is not an option anymore. Any car will be dirty after a month no matter what color you get!.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Glamisduner, post: 3912294, member: 63458]Any car will be dirty after a month no matter what color you get!.[/QUOTE]

...a month! :eek:

I wish it didn’t rain every few days throughout the year... Can have a beautifully clean shiny car for about half an hour once I start driving it. Usually wash twice a week.

My Model 3 is still not here yet, I’ve chosen dark blue, but regret it whenever I see a red one in a video. Or dark metallic grey. Seeing red in real life, I didn’t think it was worth the premium over blue, as the pearl effect is very subtle and just looks flat most of the time. I think the dark grey has the most metallic sparkle of the options.

-Alex

Reactions: Glamisduner
[QUOTE="Glamisduner, post: 3912294, member: 63458]Any car will be dirty after a month no matter what color you get!.

...a month! :eek:

I wish it didn’t rain every few days throughout the year... Can have a beautifully clean shiny car for about half an hour once I start driving it. Usually wash twice a week.

My Model 3 is still not here yet, I’ve chosen dark blue, but regret it whenever I see a red one in a video. Or dark metallic grey. Seeing red in real life, I didn’t think it was worth the premium over blue, as the pearl effect is very subtle and just looks flat most of the time. I think the dark grey has the most metallic sparkle of the options.

-Alex[/QUOTE]
I'm finally backing off to every two weeks when it's not raining. If I can find a way to hook my power washer to my ro water tank, then id give it a quick touchless blast more often.

I initially left the choice of color to my 4 year old daughter and she said RED RED RED! Now that white is much cheaper and my preferred option I switched color. Now she is not happy! I've tried to reason that we already have a red 7 seater SUV and we don't really need two red cars. My other daughter wants blue.

I'm still waiting for delivery and feeling guilty that I should switch back. She is infatuated with model 3.

I love my MCRed. LOVE IT! However, scraped the left bumper on a parking lot concrete stop and got about a two inch scrape that went through the paint. Not is a highly visible place, but still. Lowest estimate for repair is $975.00. The multi-colors are a lot more expensive to repair than standard colors. Of course, they're taking off the whole bumper and repainting it. Don't think I want to try a touch up myself and other body shops (non-Tesla approved) tell me they don't work on Teslas. Don't know about other scratches--this is the only I got, and hopefully the last. You save a lot on maintenance, but you'll pay plenty for cosmetic repairs unless you have low-deductible collision coverage.
It’s not “multi-color”, it’s multi-coat.