Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car accident and now I can't open doors to the car? any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got into an accident today and front end was smashed in. I went by wrecking yard and door handles are out but there is no power to open the doors. I called Tesla and they said to hook up a jumper to the front end- problem is there is not much left as the bumper is smashed into car and cant access anything. Im guessing the 12v got removed. I cant get into vehicle to get my stuff out... any ideas how to open doors manually?

If the window is rolled down (or smashed), the front doors can be opened from the inside.

The rear doors have a mechanical latch release that you need to locate. It's "below" the seat (hard to describe, there's a photo in the manual).

At least it works both ways. Your car is secure.
I recall many years ago when my car was totaled and dragged to a wrecking yard.
I got to it the following morning, and anything and everything of value (sunglasses, flashlight, umbrella, the parking meter spare change) had already vanished.

-- Ardie
Even the maps were gone!

If you can get the frunk open and gain access to the 12 volt battery, you should be able to get the power back on. It sounds like the damage took our the jump start terminals that are in the nose cone.

I hope your wife is alright.

yeah she is doing fine... The nose cone cover is off but the wires and cables are all broken and separated. I am guessing some wire connected to battery is gone. I also found out Texas has a law that I can't take car seat after an accident, so that stays with the car..... pretty crazy but they consider it damaged now.

yeah she is doing fine... The nose cone cover is off but the wires and cables are all broken and separated. I am guessing some wire connected to battery is gone. I also found out Texas has a law that I can't take car seat after an accident, so that stays with the car..... pretty crazy but they consider it damaged now.

That makes more sense to me than car seats "expiring".