Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver suffers Model 3 failure on 12/25, but car told them about it remotely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of the 55k miles I've drive my Tesla Model 3 Performance, I've had several autopilot cameras go out, autopilot computer failure, rear defroster failure, all fixed by Tesla and a loaner was given (old Model S, not really needed as the fixes were done in a few hours) and I'd still buy a Tesla again. In fact I already reserved a Tesla Cybertruck and pre-ordered a Model Y for my mother which will hopefully be arriving soon (she lost one eye and is having trouble driving in her old CRV, would be a great help and safer). The only issue I had was when I was rear-ended and had to be put in a loaner ICE vehicle for just over a month, but that was an authorized body shop. Was glad to get back into my Model 3, the best vehicle I've ever owned.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Out of the 55k miles I've drive my Tesla Model 3 Performance, I've had several autopilot cameras go out, autopilot computer failure, rear defroster failure, all fixed by Tesla and a loaner was given (old Model S, not really needed as the fixes were done in a few hours) and I'd still buy a Tesla again. In fact I already reserved a Tesla Cybertruck and pre-ordered a Model Y for my mother which will hopefully be arriving soon (she lost one eye and is having trouble driving in her old CRV, would be a great help and safer). The only issue I had was when I was rear-ended and had to be put in a loaner ICE vehicle for just over a month, but that was an authorized body shop. Was glad to get back into my Model 3, the best vehicle I've ever owned.

what build year was your car?

Another thing these reliability tests never get into is long long term reliability. 3 years is not long term. I would like J.D. to do an 8-10 year reliability survey. Many cars are driven 15-20 years so and 8-10 year test will let you know if you should buy a 5 year old vehicle used. Sorry a little off topic .

1/19/2020 Got a "12 Volt battery requires service" message today when I got into my car this morning (parked in the garage and connected to the mobile charger with the 14-50 adapter). This is starting to make me a little nervous. Picked up the car on 01/03/2020 from the dallas service center after it had shut down on me and wasn't drivable on Christmas Eve. Anyone else with a similar experience? It is a 2020 Tesla Model 3 performance stealth.

• Informative
A lead-acid battery should last 5 years.

One way to kill them is to overcharge, evaporating the electrolyte.
Of course the battery may have not enough electrolyte in the first place.

Are these sealed batteries ?
Interesting, I’ve only had my car for two months but I do leave it plugged in at night. I set it to charge to 85% though, hopefully that didn’t cause it. We’ll have to wait and see what Tesla says.

Tesla recommends leaving the car plugged in whenever practical. The way they charge the 12v aux battery is on them. I don't think your main battery charging or plugging in habits have much to do with how long the 12v aux battery will last.

Reactions: TomB985
My 07/2018 build LR RWD is at 45.5K and besides the glove compartment opening frequently due to a bad latch early on and a left rear axel nut clicking that needed to be tightened, I haven’t had any problem with my car (knock on wood). I’m sure I am bound to run into an issue somewhere down the line, but it’s been pretty reliable.

I have the car plugged in every night with my mobile charger set to 80-85%. Car is garaged and the SoCal weather is mild here. I supercharger every once in a while, but only for a quick 30min splash.

Great news, took the car into Tesla service center in dallas this morning and they had a 12V in stock and was able to get it switched out and back on the road! Didn't have time to ask for details since I was running a little late to work but I think that the thought process that many on here have suggested about the battery having run down last time was the reason for this issue, whatever the case, just glad to have the back and running. Also glad to have the dallas service center, couldn't be happier with the people there.