Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver suffers Model 3 failure on 12/25, but car told them about it remotely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theres a fundamental difference in the reliability of Tesla vs German brands.

German cars will fail and it is planned and designed like this. Each parts meets rigorous failing standards to only last 5 to 10 years and 100k max.
Tesla engineers their cars to last 1 million miles , most of the problems are unforseen issues, not planned and mostly related to pushing forward new tech and being new in the field .

Which company would you want to go with ?

Agreed!! Not picking up the phone is not new for Tesla. Their inability to even have a voicemail in 2018 for model 3 (june 30thsh) forget answer the phone (as i remember the prompt would say our lines are busy etc) when I tried them multiple times, was one of the factors that cost me the lifetime premium connectivity. Subsequent tries to get them to fix a scratch was frustrating and I gave up finally and earlier this year i tried multiple times to talk to parts at the cleveland service center to buy/price spare wheels with no luck. Finally got hold of the service guys who took down my VIN, telephone, email etc and then never called me back. My philosophy with Tesla to other potential buyers is its a great car and amazing if you are a techy, but plan to have a second car and a lot of patience.

From whom?
Have you tried calling a Tesla Service Center lately, to ask about anything?
Their official policy is to NOT pick-up the phone anymore!
Talking to the 3rd party tow-tuck driver would not accomplish much.

Tesla forces you to use the app for everything, including scheduling SC visits.
My OTA software update a few versions ago had failed, disabling all safety features (TACC, AS, AP, speed limit info, etc). Rebooting didn't help. I was prompted to schedule an appointment. The next one available is in 30+ days.

Just peachy.

a

P.S.: When I take my BMW for service, I call ahead to schedule an appointment and secure a free loaner, then arrive and everything is ready for me. However, BMW and MB have full-time dealers to take care of their customers. Tesla doesn't.
P.P.S.: Cutting out dealers from the vehicle distribution model comes with unintended costs and consequences, and post-sales customer (dis-)service is one of those.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have had my Model 3 LR AWD for about 4 weeks now, and no issues. EXCEPT there are sometimes strange noises coming from somewhere at the front of the car while driving at highway speed. Some kind of rattle or something loose. Assuming that this rattle will only get worse over time...

First make sure it's not just the wheel well liner rattling. Easy to tape down to confirm.

Autopilot is a major selling point of Tesla (its so advanced, its so safe, look at the accident rates, etc etc etc).
Tesla markets it. Its owners tout it. It's heavily used.

So if it fails, excluding it from statistics with the disclaimer "but the manual says its beta!" is an attempt at skew...

Scenario A: An ICE engine fails. The user has to park the car and get the car towed and fixed.
Scenario B: The AP system fails on a Tesla (camera out etc). The user drives home normally without AP, and gets it fixed when he/she has time.

My point is that the CR methodology will group both A and B as major failures, even though they are fundamentally different. In scenario B the car "deteriorated" only to the point that it was functionally equal to the ICE car at its full function. Yet CR will count this as a major failure.

So you get an ICE car with X major engine failures and zero AP failures (because it doesnt have AP). And you get a Tesla with X major motor failures (the same as the ICE car) and Y AP failures. CR adds up X+0 for the ICE car, and X+Y for the Tesla, and reports it as one number for each car. Conclusion when you view the numbers? The Tesla breaks down more even though in actuality it had equal engine failures as the ICE car. This is a classic example of statistical skew (categorization bias).

I didn't say AP should be excluded from statistics, I said the classification of AP and similar systems (EV or ICE, it doesnt matter) hasn't been properly tackled yet by CR. I dont pretend to know how they should do it, but they certainly dont do a good job atm. I'm not even saying Teslas are reliable, I'm saying we don't know based on the methodology CR use.

Consumer reports is wacky for sure. They completely lambaste the X and say the Model 3 has above average/average reliability. They also say the Model S reliability isn't great so that doesn't help. I can't figure out why they are bottom 3rd when most of their cars sold are 3s. I'm just reporting on what I read.

I haven't seen anything where CR says the model 3 is "above" average quality. Still, keep in mind they have sold a lot of model S cars. Also, the rating of quality is based on what they see in more recent cars and the early model 3s were not rated all that great. It helps if you read about how they come up with their ratings. It's not an easy process.

I'm glad Tesla is improving. I don't think there is much chance the model X issues will ever be addressed. Tesla seems to have a laser focus on the model 3 and Y at the moment. Their future is hanging on these two cars and they know they need to sustain demand. If model 3 demand had dropped off in Q4 the stock would have nose dived. Here on they should be good with Shenzhen ramping up now and the Y later in the year. No room anywhere in there to actually pay much attention to the S or X.

Reactions: afadeev
The basic problem imho is CR hasn't really adjusted their testing/reporting methodology to account for EVs, and in particular software-heavy EVs like the Tesla (I know, I've been filing annual CR reliability surveys for decades). The result is that many minor issues with the Model 3 get classified as major in the survey, which skews the results downward. An example is how to classify AP? Its beta, so should it even be included? How does the average Tesla driver classify an AP failure? Major? Minor? CR gives no guidance on this, and so its GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) for some of their reported findings. I dont think they are being deliberately biased, but they are perhaps rather out of date.

You think the Beta issues of the autopilot are factored into the CR reliability results? I would expect not. They aren't including horsepower or ride quality either. If the AP breaks, that will be included.

You think AP failure should be considered minor? In my opinion major/minor should relate to cost of repair. There's no question that out of warranty repairs on the AP are most likely going to be major expenses but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, AP is not a matter of the Teslas being EVs, so it isn't about updating their methodology to account for EVs.

I'm not making excuses for Tesla .. I think Tesla should (and in fact MUST) continue to push for more reliability, better build quality, and better customer service. [...] What I AM saying, is that the methodology by which CR gather the customer data needs revising given the significant differences between traditional ICE cars and newer EVs.

Like what?
A car works, or it doesn't.
It successfully converts potential energy (stored in any of its forms) into kinetic energy, on demand, or it doesn't.

You are making much ado about Tesla selling EVs. So do many other automakers.
CR judges them all based on reliability and safety. Tesla delivers on the latter, but leaves much to be desired on the former.

No revisions or EV indulgences are required.

I dont doubt that the statistics are professionally handled and accurate, but have you seen the CR survey? It basically lets users decide what is major and minor its very ambiguous. And by your very post, which classifies an early beta of a feature as major, you are skewing the statistics. Basically, you are saying that a car WITHOUT autopilot is better than a car WITH it .. is that your intent?

You are making excuses for Tesla based on its marketing people pre-pending word "Beta" to its features.
Tesla's labeling AP, auto-wipe, Dashcam, TACC, Autosteer, NOA, Summon as "Beta" is 100% shameless marketing BS.

My bottom line is very simple, and is properly measured by CR surveys (which I do fill out annually) - if an Automaker sells a feature, it has to work. It has to work well, and work reliably.

(Car with a functional AP) >> (Car without AP) >> (Car with a broken AP).
Broken means it used to work, but now it doesn't, and requires service visit to the SC to remedy (BTDT).

Calling half of car's features "Beta" does not excuse Tesla from the obligation to deliver them to market in a functional and reliable state.

My previous car was a BMW. How much notice did you have to give them to get a loaner?

I've also owned many BMWs, still have one. Here, in NY/NJ area, I can get a service appointment, with a loaner, 2-5 days in advance.
A service appointment w/o a loaner is readily available for the next business day, is the one after, at the latest.
If you have an error condition with your car (vs. regular service), appointments are prioritized and slotted for the next available time slot, including same day service.

Sadly, service has gone downhill at Tesla as sales have grown.
Tesla's earlier stated ambitions to "Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program" have simply not been their priority:
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

*sigh*

Last edited:
Reactions: onshi
You think the Beta issues of the autopilot are factored into the CR reliability results? I would expect not. They aren't including horsepower or ride quality either. If the AP breaks, that will be included.

You think AP failure should be considered minor? In my opinion major/minor should relate to cost of repair. There's no question that out of warranty repairs on the AP are most likely going to be major expenses but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, AP is not a matter of the Teslas being EVs, so it isn't about updating their methodology to account for EVs.

My posts before and after this make my position clear, and answer all your points.

Like what?

You are making excuses for Tesla based on its marketing people pre-pending word "Beta" to its features.
Tesla's labeling AP, auto-wipe, Dashcam, TACC, Autosteer, NOA, Summon as "Beta" is 100% shameless marketing BS.

Sadly, service has gone downhill at Tesla as sales have grown.
And you shamelessly post your personal perspective as fact every chance you get. In almost every single post, you make some absurd claim that Tesla has a huge quality problem, yet there's no evidence of it. If you want to cite CR surveys, that's your call but that's exactly what it is ... a CR survey. First, it's CR survey recipients only. That's already a limited, focused group. Second, it's self-selective in that people with an issue are disproportionately represented. Third, as others have pointed out there's no real distinction about a "major" versus a "minor" issue in those surveys. It's entirely subjective.

We get it, you have had some issue(s) with Tesla quality or service. But we have plenty of equivalent examples of people not having issues (or having what they consider minor issues). I've had cars from many other manufactures. From the same manufacturer, some have had issues and some have not. I don't get to make wild, brand-wide claims about it.

I haven't seen anything where CR says the model 3 is "above" average quality. Still, keep in mind they have sold a lot of model S cars. Also, the rating of quality is based on what they see in more recent cars and the early model 3s were not rated all that great. It helps if you read about how they come up with their ratings. It's not an easy process.

I'm glad Tesla is improving. I don't think there is much chance the model X issues will ever be addressed. Tesla seems to have a laser focus on the model 3 and Y at the moment. Their future is hanging on these two cars and they know they need to sustain demand. If model 3 demand had dropped off in Q4 the stock would have nose dived. Here on they should be good with Shenzhen ramping up now and the Y later in the year. No room anywhere in there to actually pay much attention to the S or X.

I heard it on the Tesla Daily podcast which had an in depth interview with the director of auto at Consumer Reports. He was commenting how the Model 3 reliability was much better (it placed 5 out of 12 in the reliability rankings in its class). It was very recent when the new Consumer Reports dropped.

Of course they remarked there were still tons of issues with the X and it’s doors. It is what it is.

Tesla engineers their cars to last 1 million miles , most of the problems are unforseen issues, not planned and mostly related to pushing forward new tech and being new in the field .
I guess you drank the kool aid like keydiver in the thread I pointed to and many others.

If you think they're unforseen, well, then it's a case of they (Tesla) don't know what they don't know and is a significant barrier to reaching your claim. I highly doubt the rest of any currently shipping or previously shipped Tesla will have major subsystems still working w/their original parts even at the 500K mark.

Just look at the 3+ folks here on TMC who on their 7th+ drive unit on their S (Drive Unit Replacement Poll, 6th drive unit replacement and more, Drive Unit Replacement Poll), the disastrous FWDs on the X, the MCU problems on the S (e.g. eMMC wearing out, LCDs leaking, bubbling and yellowing), door handles failing on S, half shafts on S (Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty), half shafts replaced over and over on numerous X (Acceleration Shudder), and control arm failures on S (Cracked forelink? and Another front suspension control arm failure).

And, every single year Consumer Reports has reliability data, the Model X ends up in the bottom 10 for reliability, including at least 1 showing at dead last.

Some folks who've been here much longer than you had these reactions to "goal of 1 million mile powertrain" before.
Low Speed, High Pitch Whine
I'd say what I posted at Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 348 - My Nissan Leaf Forum is still true, despite the tweet. Judging by the DU failures we've seen on the 3, I doubt very many real customer Model 3 DU's will reach 500K miles, for various reasons (e.g. requires replacement, accidents or car becomes non-longer economical to keep running due to repairs).

It's funny that automotive reliability and durability testing is crickets still.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TomB985
I guess you drank the kool aid like keydiver in the thread I pointed to and many others.

If you think they're unforseen, well, then it's a case of they (Tesla) don't know what they don't know and is a significant barrier to reaching your claim. I highly doubt the rest of any currently shipping or previously shipped Tesla will have major subsystems still working w/their original parts even at the 500K mark.

Just look at the 3+ folks here on TMC who on their 7th+ drive unit on their S (Drive Unit Replacement Poll, 6th drive unit replacement and more, Drive Unit Replacement Poll), the disastrous FWDs on the X, the MCU problems on the S (e.g. eMMC wearing out, LCDs leaking, bubbling and yellowing), door handles failing on S, half shafts on S (Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty), half shafts replaced over and over on numerous X (Acceleration Shudder), and control arm failures on S (Cracked forelink? and Another front suspension control arm failure).

And, every single year Consumer Reports has reliability data, the Model X ends up in the bottom 10 for reliability, including at least 1 showing at dead last.

Some folks who've been here much longer than you had these reactions to "goal of 1 million mile powertrain" before.

I'd say what I posted at Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 348 - My Nissan Leaf Forum is still true, despite the tweet. Judging by the DU failures we've seen on the 3, I doubt very many real customer Model 3 DU's will reach 500K miles, for various reasons (e.g. requires replacement, accidents or car becomes non-longer economical to keep running due to repairs).

It's funny that automotive reliability and durability testing is crickets still.

You also missed the point that I made saying this is new tech and it is a new company working out some things. You will also notice the continual improvement. Likewise the German brands continue to fall apart after 5 years by design. It shouldn't be this bad after 10 generations of cars. We all know Tesla needs to improve but they are continuing to do better especially with the 3. What I'm trying to point out is the philosophies of the car manufacturers.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna