Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I glared my blue MS 5 days ago. I parked at the Century City Tesla charging spots right next to another blue test drive vehicle. Theirs one was reasonably clean. Mine wasn't washed in 5 days. The comparison between the 2 vehicles was astonishing. Check this out (taken with my iPhone):

IMG_1469.jpg

As the Glare shine fades within a two week period do you use any detailer to help boost it? I have just detailed my A5 and my son's MX5 and the current finish is outstanding.

- - - Updated - - -

With glare do you use a wax free shampoo? Glare shampoo isn't available in the UK.

As the Glare shine fades within a two week period do you use any detailer to help boost it? I have just detailed my A5 and my son's MX5 and the current finish is outstanding.

- - - Updated - - -

With glare do you use a wax free shampoo? Glare shampoo isn't available in the UK.

The Glare shine comes right back when you wash your car. I use Optimum No Rinse for washing - uses minimal water and can be done in a closed garage. Amazon.com: 32oz. Optimum No Rinse Wash Shine: Automotive

As the Glare shine fades within a two week period do you use any detailer to help boost it?

Is it possible you are washing with something that is stripping the Glare off?

Artsi, what should people use to wash their car regularly after applying Glare Professional Polish? Going to polish mine in the next week. I just ordered Glare (along with a ton of other things, Griot's Garage 6" DA , Lake Country orange white & black 5.5" pads, Meguires 5" backing plate, Automotive Performance Masking Tape, Brinkman dual Xenon spotlight. I have both griot's garage clay and mothers clay bars. I already have a ton of microfiber cloths, microfiber wash mit, and other car washing stuff.

So a few related questions.

1) what to use to wash the car after Glare. Right now I am using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II (applied with the spray gun of course), but I also ordered 'Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine'. What do you think about that?

also, whats is your opinions on Maxi Suds II vs 'Chemical Guys (CWS_302_CLEAR) Citrus Based pH Neutral Hyper Concentrated Shampoo with Extreme Suds II'

as well as 'Chemical Guys CWS_301 Citrus Wash and Gloss Citrus Based Hyper-Concentrated Wash+Gloss' does this one strip waxes and finishes off for prepping for polishing?? should this one not be used regularly? I dont have it but just curious.

2) Griot's Garage 11078 Micro Fiber and Foam Pad Cleaner. Do you use this on your micro fiber cloths and foam pads? Are polishing pads reusable? I thought they were throw away after use.

3) I also picked up a bottle of Glare Sahara. supposedly this is good to use after washing to keep up the Glare shine? opinions?

My understanding is that if correctly applied Glare wax will protect your paintwork for approx 5 years. I also understand from the tests recorded on this forum that the additional gloss shine provided by the product will be almost non existent within a couple of weeks - depending on the weather. you should be able to get round this by using Glare wash which will boost the 'glass content' back to when you waxed it. Unfortunately Youcan't buy it in the UK but from the reply above you can use a wax free wash.
Very many thanks for the reply - I have never seen a shine like this ever - absolutely amazing!
A very happy punter
TheMac

My understanding is that if correctly applied Glare wax will protect your paintwork for approx 5 years. I also understand from the tests recorded on this forum that the additional gloss shine provided by the product will be almost non existent within a couple of weeks - depending on the weather. you should be able to get round this by using Glare wash which will boost the 'glass content' back to when you waxed it. Unfortunately Youcan't buy it in the UK but from the reply above you can use a wax free wash.
Very many thanks for the reply - I have never seen a shine like this ever - absolutely amazing!
A very happy punter
TheMac

Right, I just re-read the thread and looked at the spreadsheets. It seems as if Glare should be re-applied every 3 months to keep the shine. I guess that's not too bad. I was hoping it'd last a lot longer though...at least 6 months. Oh well. :( On the bright side I guess after the initial paint correction to remove swirls, the re-apply would be fairly quick using a DA polisher and black or blue finishing pad. I'm glad I bought the equipment to do this myself bc I'd be pretty PO'd if I paid someone $500 to apply this to my car only to find out that the shine will go away in 3 months.

Right, I just re-read the thread and looked at the spreadsheets. It seems as if Glare should be re-applied every 3 months to keep the shine. I guess that's not too bad. I was hoping it'd last a lot longer though...at least 6 months. Oh well. :( On the bright side I guess after the initial paint correction to remove swirls, the re-apply would be fairly quick using a DA polisher and black or blue finishing pad. I'm glad I bought the equipment to do this myself bc I'd be pretty PO'd if I paid someone $500 to apply this to my car only to find out that the shine will go away in 3 months.

We had our car professionally Glared and the shine comes back right after washing and with some detailing spray. It's been about 4 months since the application ...

Yo,

I would stick with the maxi suds. In too high of a concentration, I've read that the citrus wash and gloss can be used to strip your LSP.

The GG should suit you well, but I upgraded to the Rupes because of the amount of vibration and noise of the GG.

I don't use GG microfiber cleaner. I've had good success with Micro-restore for cleaning my microfibers and Wolfgang Pad Werks (yes, "Werks" ) cleaner. Polishing pads are reusable, but this is dependent upon what type of pad and what you're doing with it. Pads without cut (jeweling or sealant/wax pads) should last a very long time. Pads used for compounding and polishing can be obliterated in less than one session if they overheat or get applied with too much product. You can avoid this by using one pad per panel and switching to a fresher pad for the next panel. Also make sure to get a pad brush to freshen up your pad when using it.

I know a lot of you guys tend to like Glare, but they seem to have just a shady business model. Go with GTechniq, C. Quartz or Opticoat. :)

We had our car professionally Glared and the shine comes back right after washing and with some detailing spray. It's been about 4 months since the application ...

what detailing spray are you using?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless I have misunderstood the spreadsheets it seems that whatever product tested the additional shine would be almost non existent after 2 weeks not 3 months. The key will be in the ability to boost the shine to the post wax stage if that is possible to do with a quick detailer.
TheMac

what detailing spray are you using?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless I have misunderstood the spreadsheets it seems that whatever product tested the additional shine would be almost non existent after 2 weeks not 3 months. The key will be in the ability to boost the shine to the post wax stage if that is possible to do with a quick detailer.
TheMac

Well AFAIK Artsci was just leaving these panels outside exposed to the weather. I don't think he was washing them and then using detailing spray and re-measuring, right? It's possible after washing those numbers would jump right up to the bright shine levels...