Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car died and SC say must replace battery out of warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this 2013 MS P85 from the auction, no damages at all! clean carfax... but car was at 0% charge.
Boosted 12v from nose cone opened the car all is good till now, connected 12v battery to charger and connected the car to charge using mobile charger.
it took a couple of hours and I started to see some juice in the main pack...
next day I started the car all is good and I drove it for 5 minutes...
plugged it back on charger over the weekend when I came back to check the car it was maybe at 90% charge.
tried to run the car and got plenty of errors and the car is not moving now also would not charge if I open the charging port the lock pin is up and if I push it down it will turn red...

I checked with Tesla SC and they said main pack need to be replaced $30,000 Canadian dollars warranty ended 5 months ago!!!

I want to fix this myself! I appreciate every help or previous experiences.

mainly the fault is from BMS ...

BMS_f071 SM TransCon not met
BMS_w107 SW Cell Voltage sensor
BMS_w129 SW BMB VSH Connector

as you can see from the photos below, BMS status Fault, contractors open...

anyone knows what could be the root cause for these errors?

Attachments

• IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3308.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 375
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The average cost of getting an 85 pack replaced at 057 Tech has been around $5,500 including labor.

Tesla charges $16k to $23k for the same, and they still keep your core pack.

Obviously we retain the core pack as well, but our business model allows us to do this whole process cheaper than Tesla (or anyone else for that matter) by only charging the customer for what can't be salvaged (which is usually a few water-ingress-damaged modules on early 85s) and charging for the difference plus reasonable labor.

The Tesla packs are not generally repairable, contrary to popular belief... so don't fall for that type of stuff. This type of full replacement setup is almost always the best option for folks out of warranty since you get an unmodified fully tested replacement pack.

We can also arrange for shipping to and from our shop.

Contact my crew at 057tech.com/contact for more info!

The average cost of getting an 85 pack replaced at 057 Tech has been around $5,500 including labor.

Obviously we retain the core pack as well, but our business model allows us to do this whole process cheaper than Tesla (or anyone else for that matter) by only charging the customer for what can't be salvaged (which is usually a few water-ingress-damaged modules on early 85s) and charging for the difference plus reasonable labor.

The Tesla packs are not generally repairable, contrary to popular belief... so don't fall for that type of stuff. This type of full replacement setup is almost always the best option for folks out of warranty since you get an unmodified fully tested replacement pack.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I have sent you a message would gratefully if you can check it out. Thanks

Amazing and sad Tesla can't figure this out and do what your doing.

Amazing and sad Tesla can't figure this out and do what your doing.

They can obviously figure it out, but it's not in their business interest to charge so little. It's better for their bottom line to get you into a new Tesla than to fix your old Tesla.

^ This. 100% this.

It would be great to see a public debate between, not about, Gruber Motors and WK057 Tech.

Since there's no way to really debate the data and technical aspects of such things in their favor, I don't think they'd agree to such a debate. I'd kind of be for it, since I don't really like seeing people getting bamboozled, but, I honestly don't have time for such things at the moment.

Edit: Let's put it this way: I've done ~50+ battery replacements on customer Model S/X vehicles (either upgrades or failure replacements) and have processed thousands of Model S/X battery modules to-date. At least 4 of these customers went to other shall-remain-nameless EV shops before we took care of them properly. I even have had customers that live within a single charge of such shops and still end up shipping their vehicles to 057 for proper service. That should say a lot.

I think eventually I need a testimonials section on my site...

Last edited:
Sorry to see that Wamz. You should ask Tesla to repair the battery. Hopefully by now they have a much lower cost option (I am thinking lower than $2000 to fix it). They really need to do this as more people switch to EVs. As others have said, you could also contact another company such as Gruber Motors (they received excellent reviews) or as a last resort, trade your Tesla in for a new one.

Sorry to see that Wamz. You should ask Tesla to repair the battery. Hopefully by now they have a much lower cost option (I am thinking lower than $2000 to fix it). They really need to do this as more people switch to EVs. As others have said, you could also contact another company such as Gruber Motors (they received excellent reviews) or as a last resort, trade your Tesla in for a new one.
As of a few months ago, there is not a repair option through Tesla. There likely never will be.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Don’t get another Tesla, LOL. What a years-long headache, and ultimately, embarrassment. That’s like suggesting to repeat K-12 again. “I know better” “Lessons learned” “Sorry, I don’t hate myself”
Get yourself something nice instead!
These third-party companies can help and should be able to resolve main battery Tesla issues for close to or less than $5k:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

Did you try any of these? I have seen Tesla offer refurbished main batteries for about $10k too. The other option might be a trade-in with Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snerruc
I'm at that point. I will ship my car to Gruber in Phoenix. They said normally cost less than 5k. Watch Gruber video on you tube about battery repairs?.
I think you should talk to WK057. WK057 provided information in my thread but I think it would help his case if he fully disclosed what exactly his shop is doing.

From what I know with some educated guessing here is what I think WK057 does for a battery replacement. His shop is authorized to purchase the Tesla battery back brand new from Tesla including refurbished packs. The prices very but you are talking $10500 to over $20000 for the HV battery alone. There are lots of other expenses such as shipping these massive batteries and other parts and fluids that you also need. They swap in the legit Tesla pack and that is pretty much it for your vehicle. Next they dismantle the old pack and remove the modules and use their BMS modules to test and characterize what they took out. Any modules that pass some amount of testing and quality control they put up for sale for around $1k each, you can find them on their webpage. With an 85 pack having 20 modules they might get 18 good ones so they can recover quite a lot of money, though you have to consider the labor and shipping for all this.

This is all conjecture on my part.

From what I know with some educated guessing here is what I think WK057 does for a battery replacement. His shop is authorized to purchase the Tesla battery back brand new from Tesla including refurbished packs. The prices very but you are talking $10500 to over $20000 for the HV battery alone. There are lots of other expenses such as shipping these massive batteries and other parts and fluids that you also need. They swap in the legit Tesla pack and that is pretty much it for your vehicle. Next they dismantle the old pack and remove the modules and use their BMS modules to test and characterize what they took out. Any modules that pass some amount of testing and quality control they put up for sale for around $1k each, you can find them on their webpage. With an 85 pack having 20 modules they might get 18 good ones so they can recover quite a lot of money, though you have to consider the labor and shipping for all this.

This is all conjecture on my part.
A lot wrong there. He doesn't buy new packs, he buys totaled vehicles and harvests the packs from them. There are only 16 modules in a 85 pack. Finally depending on the failure he may just repair the pack.