Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car drying options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: masamitsu
You can reduce the water that's left on the car by removing the high pressure nozzle and turning the water on to just a trickle then rising the car off one last time. The properties of the water's cohesion will pull the droplet together and they will sheen and run off the car. Its simply using water to rise water off the car - crazy as it sounds - it helps. Once done, you are left with less water to wipe off with microfiber or your electric blower.

Trying to think if this is overkill. Planned on doing ONR so it probably will be.
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is indeed the safest way to wash your car. No need to rinse as the name says. There are actually polymers left in the water drops on the car that help to prevent scratching. Try Opti Seal or Hyper Seal, just a squirt per panel, as a drying aid. Tht is exactly how I wash my own car!

Dann... I use ONR for touch up cleaning during the week, when the car is basically still clean but has a little bit of stuff on it.

However, when the car is really dirty, how is ONR the "safest way to wash your car"? That sounds more like marketing. Getting the large particles and grime and dirt off the car with a pre-rinse, and then a 2 bucket wash is certainly safer if what you mean by "safe" is the best way to avoid scratching and swirls. Right?

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is indeed the safest way to wash your car. No need to rinse as the name says. There are actually polymers left in the water drops on the car that help to prevent scratching. Try Opti Seal or Hyper Seal, just a squirt per panel, as a drying aid. Tht is exactly how I wash my own car!

Dann... I use ONR for touch up cleaning during the week, when the car is basically still clean but has a little bit of stuff on it.

However, when the car is really dirty, how is ONR the "safest way to wash your car"? That sounds more like marketing. Getting the large particles and grime and dirt off the car with a pre-rinse, and then a 2 bucket wash is certainly safer if what you mean by "safe" is the best way to avoid scratching and swirls. Right?

I get it! I used to be a distributor for Optimum while I owned a detailing business. I sold Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for almost a year before I could stomach using it on the cars I was washing. Once I started the pressure washer was history. I try to stay agnostic in my answers, but I really do believe in and use this product on all of my cars. If a car is really dirty, say with mud or sand from snowy roads, a pre rinse is not a bad idea. But you will be amazed at how much less marring is created in the paint by using Optimum No Rinse (Optimum No Rinse (ONR)), and how much dirt it can safely handle. Two buckets are fine if you put one on each side of the car for convenience, but only one is needed. Each time you dip your wash medium into the bucket, the polymers encapsulate the dirt and pull it down to the bottom of the bucket. A lot of marring of a cars paint happens when you dry the car. A traditional wash leaves only water on the car which has no lubricity. ONR still has the polymers left water drops left behind on the car. ONR also has so many other uses such as an interior cleaner, and window cleaner. Another great thing is you can wash the car right in the garage and make no run off! I could go on and on but I don't want to sound pushy or overbearing. I hope you can feel my sincerity come through in my answer.

Reactions: timvracer
Dann,
I tried what you said on my Ford Fusion and Honda Accord today. I keep both very clean, and detail (clay bar, polish, wax) every 6 months. What you say is true, I used ONR with a large sponge applicator, and microfibers for drying. It was quick, easy, and they both came out looking spectacular. It was much easier than I had anticipated. Both had been driven around recently in the rain, so they were definitely dirty.

Thanks for the tips!

I get it! I used to be a distributor for Optimum while I owned a detailing business. I sold Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for almost a year before I could stomach using it on the cars I was washing. Once I started the pressure washer was history. I try to stay agnostic in my answers, but I really do believe in and use this product on all of my cars. If a car is really dirty, say with mud or sand from snowy roads, a pre rinse is not a bad idea. But you will be amazed at how much less marring is created in the paint by using Optimum No Rinse (Optimum No Rinse (ONR)), and how much dirt it can safely handle. Two buckets are fine if you put one on each side of the car for convenience, but only one is needed. Each time you dip your wash medium into the bucket, the polymers encapsulate the dirt and pull it down to the bottom of the bucket. A lot of marring of a cars paint happens when you dry the car. A traditional wash leaves only water on the car which has no lubricity. ONR still has the polymers left water drops left behind on the car. ONR also has so many other uses such as an interior cleaner, and window cleaner. Another great thing is you can wash the car right in the garage and make no run off! I could go on and on but I don't want to sound pushy or overbearing. I hope you can feel my sincerity come through in my answer.

Reactions: OP Dann