Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car in deep sleep (was HELP - Battery died in airport parking)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's left at airports unplugged seem to be a recurrent problem, but one I have not had. I recently (like a week ago) came back to the USA after 12 days in Europe, having left my S100D (unplugged) in the JFK long term parking lot. When I parked the car, it showed 268 rated miles range. When I came back, it showed 265 rated miles range, well less than 1% loss. Here is what I did:

1. Set always connected to OFF
2. Turn Energy Savings ON
3. Set Smart preconditioning to OFF
4. Set Cabin overheat protection to OFF
5. Make sure climate control is OFF
6. Unplug/turn off Dashcam
7. Cover car with a car cover (I use the EVANNEX cover, no affiliation)
8. Never checked on the car while gone, as it wakes the car up and uses power.

I actually have a "shut-down" check list to make sure I remember everything. I followed the same procedures prior to this latest trip and had similar results, loss of 11 rated miles over 14 days---I forgot to unplug the dashcam (thus the check list).

So, sorry I can't help this time, but maybe this will help next time.

I recently went to Asia and left my 100D at the airport for 10 days. All I did was turn cabin overheat off, left it at about 83% and when I returned 10 days later it was at 78%. I have had a decent amount of anxiety about this as I travel a lot, but I have owned my Tesla a couple months and have left it twice for over 10 days and have had no issues.

Reactions: J1mbo
RE: extended airport parking
I parked my Bolt in an uncovered parking lot before going on a 5 day trip to CA. When I parked it, the car said I had 117 miles of range. 5 days later when I picked it up, I powered on the car and it said I had 116 miles remaining. The app both before and after the trip said I had 44% charge remaining, so not even sure if I actually "lost" that 1 mile or if the computer lowered it 1 mile solely due to ambient temps. High temps where my Bolt was parked while I was gone ranged from the high 80's to low 90s. Crazy that Teslas can eat so much energy parked. I guess that is the price for all that extra tech. ;)

Reactions: gogogoducks
I recently went to Asia and left my 100D at the airport for 10 days. All I did was turn cabin overheat off, left it at about 83% and when I returned 10 days later it was at 78%. I have had a decent amount of anxiety about this as I travel a lot, but I have owned my Tesla a couple months and have left it twice for over 10 days and have had no issues.

Similar story. Left my 90D at the airport in the winter (approx -2C to +5C every day) for 2 weeks with minimal loss. Probably used more power heating the battery on the way home than it lost in the car park.

IMO no need for a big checklist. Just stop using (or pause) any apps that remotely poll the car, and let it go into deep sleep mode.

Seems like no one uses the Power Off button in these situations. Haven't tried it myself since I'm happy with my normal vampire drain. But that should be the "one button" solution to this problem.

I haven't seen the 0% battery reporting problem. I do use TeslaFi to log the car's data, which might be a nice workaround. With that I have found that checking the car with the Tesla app did indeed wake the car out of sleep, but only for one to two minutes before it went back to sleep. Which would depend on your TeslaFi settings as well. I don't think checking with the app causes significant power loss.