Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Florida Farm Bureau quoted me an additional $614/yr to replace our 2015 Honda Odyssey with a loaded 90D. If you haven't ever looked at Farm Bureau Insurance, it's fantastic. It's not Farmer's Insurance on TV. Each state would have it's own version.

State Farm just quoted me over $2000+ on my Tesla and I'm wondering what you guys are paying.
I've got a clean record and was surprise that price got that high. What insurance company
are you using? Any good deals out there? Suggestions?

I'm with AAA. The following is for 1 year:

Bodily Injury
500,000 person
500,000 accident $103.00

Property Damage
100,000 accident $95.00

Uninsured Motorist - Bodily Injury
500,000 person
500,000 accident $12.00

Underinsured Motorist - Bodily Injury
500,000 person
500,000 accident $26.00

Medical Payments
5,000 person $26.00

Comprehensive (Less Deductible)
100 $78.00

Collision (Less Deductible)
500 $325.00

Enhanced Transportation Expense
25 per day
750 maximum $28.00

All Risk Coverage
No Coverage

Premium for 2014 Tesla Model S : $693.00

After calling some of the top 5 nationwide insurance carriers, the best I was able to get was $89/month for an annual contract with $250k/$500k/$100 coverage on a nearly-fully-loaded 2016 Model X P90DL. This is with $500 and $1k deductibles for comprehensive and collision respectively for zip code 95014 (Cupertino, CA) from Hartford Insurance. The next best quote was for $102/month for a 6 month contract from Geico. The highest quote I got was for $200/month for a 6 month contract from Allstate! YMMV and this was all researched the week of this post.

It took a few hours to get all of the quotes so I hope this helps someone. Good luck!

PS: Hartford won't let me "post-date" the start of my policy for when my MX arrives next month (June '16), but it's not a biggie since I'm already in their system.

I have Amica too and ran the numbers... they seem to be about 500.00 over everyone else (at least here in California).

Wow both of you still got a better quote than me from amica.

I have a homeowners policy with them and my 4Runner. I'm going to sell the 4Runner and have a single car. Great driving record, single, longtime customer due to their customer support...and still got quoted $3400/yr w/ a 1k deductible! $4100 with a 500 deductible. I find it hard to believe that Oakland/Bay Area would make it that much more expensive. Progressive gave me ~$2100/yr, but I'm still hearing people getting ~1000/yr with the same coverage.

Any other Bay Area people have better luck? I did post a question on the Facebook club as well, but checking this spot out as well...

I just ran across this thread... Wow! I'm one of the many that stood in line on March 31st to put down my $1k deposit (thinking it was going to make a difference with the eventual delivery date que). I was surprised to hear how high the insurance rates are, many higher than I'm paying for my new Corvette ($580/yr). Hopefully the Model 3 insurance rates will fair better. I'll definitely be checking with my insurance company (USAA) before making a final decision to complete my Model 3 order. I keep running the comparison numbers between a Model 3 and purchasing another Prius, for our run-around-town vehicle. If I'm quoted a high insurance rate for my Model 3 it will certainly will take a bite out of my Tesla enthusiasm.

I just ran across this thread... Wow! I'm one of the many that stood in line on March 31st to put down my $1k deposit (thinking it was going to make a difference with the eventual delivery date que). I was surprised to hear how high the insurance rates are, many higher than I'm paying for my new Corvette ($580/yr). Hopefully the Model 3 insurance rates will fair better. I'll definitely be checking with my insurance company (USAA) before making a final decision to complete my Model 3 order. I keep running the comparison numbers between a Model 3 and purchasing another Prius, for our run-around-town vehicle. If I'm quoted a high insurance rate for my Model 3 it will certainly will take a bite out of my Tesla enthusiasm.
These are quotes for the Model X which is a much higher cost car than the Model3 (the X starts at about $80k) so I would hope the M3 is lower insurance cost when it finally arrives. One of the things I looked for in insurance was full replacement value coverage, which AAA included for the first year. Not sure what I will do after the year is up.

With Liberty Mutual, we currently have a 2014 Honda Odyssey. Replacing the Odyssey with the X 90D will cost $16/month more (for same coverage), which is a GREAT deal in my opinion.

So the annual cost is now $629/year with Odyssey and $829/year with X.
This is incredibly low! A few of the insurance companies actually won't insure my Model S when I was shopping around last year as it was considered an exotic due to the aluminum construction. It is probably 3-4x more expensive to fix any bodywork with the Tesla compares to the Odyssey. (I know because we needed some minor repairs and every time the bill completely shocked me and probably my insurance company too.)

My original quote from the Hartford was $16/month more than my vintage 2007 Audi Q7 -- or $657 a year (correct). The final amount was actually less by a few bucks. So no change in my insurance by getting the X. I am amazed at the difference by Geo. My three cars are $1997 a YEAR -- 2013 Toyota Avalon, 2012 Fisker Karma and the 2016 Model X P90D. It appears there are a lot of variables to make up a rate depending on driving history, ages of drivers, location, miles to and from work, and vehicles.
The extremes bare out how individual rates vary.

Perfect driving record for both wife and I. No kids on coverage (yet). We live out in the suburbs of north dallas. Local law enforcement/city like to tout that we have "top 10" lowest crime rate in the country. Maybe that makes a difference? Who knows, those insurance calculations are horribly complex.

I also live in the suburbs of Dallas, with a perfect driving record for wife and I, and am paying $1006/6 months on my MX-90D

I am picking up my Model X on 6/10. Got the Insurance from Liberty Mutual with GAP insurance costing me 1064/year after clubing my two other cars. Just for Tesla they quoted 134/month with GAP insurance with my credit union discount

Go Esurance. I shopped around and it was almost half the cost for my cars. Esurance costs $1800 a year total for BOTH our 2015 Dodge Challenger and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Covers whole family, 2 kids 21- included.

Yea I had esurance since 2012 until they told me they don't insure Model X in the state of WA. I switched to progressive, with the new customer and other discounts I paid $792/6 months for my X and the 2015 Leaf SL. I expect this price to go up at renewal because there wont be the new customer discount.