Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update failed, car won’t move, got loaner 3 days later, car fixed next day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is up with the random wheels on the front of the tow truck? Are those spare Tesla wheels/tires just ready to go for when folks blow tires?

Also, what did you mean by "had to use a hook to open window"? What do you mean by that? I know of the 12v to pop the frunk trick, but I have not heard of this window trick?

P.S. I assume the Frunk is totally insecure since anyone with a 12v battery laying around can pop it open without a key?
1. Yes they are spares
2. He has a little airbag he pumps up and has a hook extension that can open the door handle or he just presses the button.
3. Yes, he unlocked the frunk then unlocked the whole car. First with the little tow hook circle then the 12v battery. Dont leave anything valuable in frunk.

2. He has a little airbag he pumps up and has a hook extension that can open the door handle or he just presses the button.

I am still so confused... Where does this airbag go? Is it for breaking into the car? Like drivers door?

Oh, so then once window is open the hook is to pull the emergency release or press the door open button from inside if that is functional?

It slides between window and door frame and expands with a hand pump. Window comes out a little enough so he can stick some pole with a hook like thing at the end, but the button was not functional and we couldn't reach the emergency handle.
I am still so confused... Where does this airbag go? Is it for breaking into the car? Like drivers door?

Oh, so then once window is open the hook is to pull the emergency release or press the door open button from inside if that is functional?

Pumps up just like a little blood pressure cuff.

Had to get my BMW opened that way when it decided to lock up tight as a tick after I set my purse/key on the back seat and went around to open the opposite front door. Almost died when I heard the 'thunk' of it locking up tight--I was due at work in an hour and EVERYTHING was in the-car-that-is-supposed-to-be-too-smart-to-lock-with-the-key-inside.

AAA sent a dude in a pickup which seemed sketchy. He pried up the plastic around the door window a tiny bit, slipped the pressure bag thingy in, and pumped it up like a cuff. Then he snaked in a long hook to open it up. In under 30 seconds. Needless to say I complimented him on his car breaking skills and gave him a huge tip. Made it to work on time.

Pretty sure my car is mad at me for talking about buying a Tesla non-stop. She is an angry car.

Update on my vehicle: still in shop waiting for electronic fuse assembly

However, yesterday the Model S loaner they gave me did the same thing and needed to be towed.

I came back to the vehicle after it had been sitting all day and would not unlock as I approached the vehicle. I unlocked using the key fob however both screen on the car would not turn on. Called Tesla roadside and they were unable to do anything over the phone. Tow driver arrived and jumped the 12V battery which got the two screen to turn on however same errors as my Model 3, "Car Needs Service" "Cannot maintain vehicle power."

I am now on my second loaner car (Model S 75D) and fingers crossed I don't have any more issues.

Very strange that within the past 2 days both my Model 3 and Model S loaner had same problem.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Man that's more than bad luck.......way off topic, @wbhokie, peaceful looking dogs, I have a german pinscher sleeping dogs.jpg Happy dogs should make everyone feel better.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoL Rick
As I understand it, the wires in the tow port cannot open the frunk unless the 12V battery is dead. If the car is working normally and the 12V battery is alive, then those wires are disabled.

That is the way the original manual was written, but it never actually worked that way and the manual has since been revised. Normally the Frunk can be opened at any time with a 9v battery.

All the locksmiths open the car's door that way using the balloon method to create a gap in the car's window. I am guessing they will have to use the emergency release because the door open button probably won't work. That's why the emergency release is there when the car is dead and you have to get out.

Although the balloon method won't work with old BMW. I remember 20 years ago when my friend had a BMW 7's, he locked us inside the car when he went away to get something with his remote. None of us could get out of the car. There was no manual unlock door button and pushing the unlock does nothing from the inside.

They can not get me a loaner sent to my house. I have no way of getting there right now and I am really busy. They are also being rude about it so soon ill start giving a little bit of attitude since I was too nice. They did it before with my old Model X

Besides the point,
It is really weird that you can just open the frunk like that and unlock your car if someone has jumper cables. That to me is really strange.

• Informative
Reactions: TigaFF