Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car jumping into park from reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mdh

VIN 2747 P4679
Jul 30, 2012
Saratoga,CA
The other day, I was very slowly backing out of my garage and the car jumped into park. This is not the first time this has happened to me... at first I thought I must have hit the shifter... but, this was not the case. I asked the service mgr and he was unaware of any related software problems.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

The other day, I was very slowly backing out of my garage and the car jumped into park. This is not the first time this has happened to me... at first I thought I must have hit the shifter... but, this was not the case. I asked the service mgr and he was unaware of any related software problems.

Thanks in advance.

This happened to me once before. My seatbelt was off and I lifted off the seat a little bit. There's a thread on the forum somewhere about it. Some kind of safety feature.

This happened to me once before. My seatbelt was off and I lifted off the seat a little bit. There's a thread on the forum somewhere about it. Some kind of safety feature.
Same 'safety feature' that allows you to simply get out of the car once positioned in a parking spot. It automatically puts it in park when it senses the driver is no longer there.

Thanks in advance.

I had something similar happen, but I see it as a feature not a problem.

In my case I was in my Model S without the seatbeat fastened and with the drivers door open. The car of course nagged me about the seatbelt then I started backing up. After I exceeded a couple of miles per hour the car automatically shifted into park because I was driving without a seatbelt and with the door open.

Larry

In my case I was in my Model S without the seatbeat fastened and with the drivers door open. The car of course nagged me about the seatbelt then I started backing up. After I exceeded a couple of miles per hour the car automatically shifted into park because I was driving without a seatbelt and with the door open.
I realize you live in year-round convertible weather but this is ridiculous. You Florida drivers are crazy. ;)

I realize you live in year-round convertible weather but this is ridiculous. You Florida drivers are crazy. ;)

For the record I consider the winter as convertible weather. While it is true that many Florida drivers are crazy, or at least not entirely lucid, in the unlikely event that you are serious, I was merely repositioning my car in the driveway, not heading out for a drive. :tongue:

Larry

Thanks in advance.

This happened to me today. I was backing into a tight spot, my seatbelt was OFF, I looked back because the camera wasn't giving me a sense of where the pillar was. I must have lifted off the seat. The car automatically went into park. It happened twice in a row and happened a few days ago. My car is less than 2 weeks old so has the latest software.

This happened to me today. I was backing into a tight spot, my seatbelt was OFF, I looked back because the camera wasn't giving me a sense of where the pillar was. I must have lifted off the seat. The car automatically went into park. It happened twice in a row and happened a few days ago. My car is less than 2 weeks old so has the latest software.

That's expected behaviour.

Backing through the garage door opening with your rear passenger door open is not advised. It leaves a mark. (Fortunately, I don't have first-hand experience of this).

Sometimes it leaves a mark on the garage door and not the car. I was once replacing the brake pads in my first car, and when I completed the job I forgot the all-important task of pumping the brakes to extend the piston and pad to the rotor surface. Put the car in reverse while holding the door slightly open and when I put my foot on the brake to stop the car, it went to the floor. Car kept going and the door contacted the 2x8 that framed the garage door. It popped off as the car kept going. No damage at all to the car, I got really lucky that the broad surface of the door was positioned perfectly to pop that frame out.