Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car location freezes - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been having this issue and it’ll be about a year next month where my car location is frozen on the map.

I’ve brought my car in 3 times to be looked at and they’ve said it’s a software problem. Update after update and still my GPS is useless occasionally.

I’ve had this problem ever since I received my 2 week trial of AP. AP was useless if my card position locked at home (residential speed limit was 40km/h and car wouldn’t let me exceed 70 when our highways are 100km/h).

Anyone have this issue and had it fixed. Getting frustrated not being able to use my GPS. I also wanted to pay for AP/FSD but what’s the point if my maps won’t work due to a frozen position. I’ve tried resetting my screen. I’ve powered off. Nothing seems to work. I’m rolling the dice every time I drive in hopes that my location moves with my maps

If it's what happened to me, it is a software problem. I thought it was long since fixed via a firmware update, though. Are you running the latest firmware? If not, it's possible that you have a failed update that's stuck and is preventing further updates.

When I had this problem, the temporary workaround was to completely power down the car via the touchscreen and leave it like that for an hour or so. Repeating the process may be required. The car needs to stay asleep for the entire time so be careful that the car doesn't wake up when you exit the vehicle.

All in all I believe this happened to me three times before a subsequent firmware update fixed it. Each time, though, the workaround described above got things working again.

Reactions: papapodcasts
If it's what happened to me, it is a software problem. I thought it was long since fixed via a firmware update, though. Are you running the latest firmware? If not, it's possible that you have a failed update that's stuck and is preventing further updates.

When I had this problem, the temporary workaround was to completely power down the car via the touchscreen and leave it like that for an hour or so. Repeating the process may be required. The car needs to stay asleep for the entire time so be careful that the car doesn't wake up when you exit the vehicle.

All in all I believe this happened to me three times before a subsequent firmware update fixed it. Each time, though, the workaround described above got things working again.

My firmware is the latest. I will definitely try your method. Thank you for sharing.