Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car needs more love

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me who feels that the car (mine is a M3SR+) is a bit starved of love? Or am I being uncharitable?

Since buying the car two years ago, I've had many software updates, the most interesting ones having been the earlier ones, as I recall. The more recent ones have been fairly spartan - some restrained help with traffic lights, in-car entertainment, car wash mode, capacity as distance or %, etc. I've tried really hard but failed to get excited about any of the recent updates, most of them being of limited practical use.

Is there anything on the near horizon that looks exciting? I'm aware of beta 9, but that seems a long way off for us, if it ever gets out beta. Is there anything else?

I'm sure Elon's attention is fully invested in his rockets - perhaps they are the "sexy" part of the business. But, as a Tesla owner, I can't help feeling somewhat sidelined.

Well, I think there have been improvements that have largely gone unnoticed. Like, P2D. For a while it took perhaps five or even ten seconds before the screen reached a point where you could punch it in. Now it’s straight away. The app controls work straight away pretty much. Pin to unlock the glove box. Side cameras when reversing. There’s a long way to go but lots of little things have happened!

Last edited:
The last car you owned, what changed on it during your ownership?

I think it’s easy to get a bit spoiled to be honest, by updates on other tech stuff like phones, computers, etc. I’m guilty of it as anyone, with new updates bringing nothing but minor changes, but none of the previous cars I had changed in any measurable way, if at all, in the many years I owned them.

So, couple of years ago, those of us that were not a shiny new Tesla product such as a Model 3, felt like you do now. We too felt ignored and all the fancy stuff was going to Model 3's. And that's ignoring the fact that our purchases of nearly twice what a Model 3 is sold for paved the way for the Model 3.

However, our older, less fancy cars than some Model 3's or Y's are not staved for love. We love them (it seems) more than you love yours.

Yes, I agree with you. Much of Elon's time is likely going to Starbase and stuff. But stuff also includes FSD. By the way, it will never get out of Beta. It will be called Beta long after its matured. Best to you. :)

(This is a fun thread.)

Reactions: Durzel
Level 4 autonomy ...

Yes this story has gone very quiet, and government statements of 'this year' are perhaps less reliable than Elon's timeframes, but surely Tesla are obliged to be part of it having sold us FSD. Super limited applicability (motorway traffic jams) but no hands on the wheel. The regs also require that the car provides things to entertain the drivers to stop them falling asleep. They also require the use of some kind of detection if someone is asleep, which I see Tesla is now testing with the internal camera.

The last car you owned, what changed on it during your ownership?
Nothing. but then no one said it would and it didn't come with basic features missing like working windscreen wipers. The ability to connect one BT device for music and another for phone calls and waypoints on the satnav.
And the updates it'didnt get never broke stuff that worked which needed fixing at the next update.
So I see the ops point. If you are going to sell the cars with beta software updates are kinda part of the deal.

I can count on one finger the "useful" additions, the rest have been either bug fixes or half hearted implementations or gimmicks. Perhaps I'm too old for fart cushions and I find my phone has a better variety of games that don't scrub my front tyres while playing them.

I think soiftware updates are just a novelty that wear off and an excuse for delivering incomplete functions to the car by Tesla. The big potential one around the corner is a significant step change in autopilot performance (not necessarily features, just doing what it currently does only better would be a start) but for however pretty some of the screens look on the youtube videos, do they matter when your eyes should be on the road? I've never been easy to iimpress with tech, and that doesn't make me a ludite, its actually given me a successful career using it and ignore the hype.

As an aside, I believe other makes do roll out software updates and new features.

Reactions: Type2 and Yachtsman
I've tried really hard but failed to get excited about any of the recent updates, most of them being of limited practical use.
I've found that achieving 'Insane' level on Stage four of Skyforce Reloaded has been one of the highlights of my ownership. As far as being 'practical'...well, it gets me out of the house...

I’d settle for the ability to tell it you want to arrive at your destination with a specific charge level remaining 😂
Yeah, you have to use ABRP for that. I'm resigned to the simple truth that the updates are fluff instead of substance and I've been ripped off on FSD - less stressful to turn the automation off. I get in my S and the first thing I do is turn the headlights off because short of blinding sunlight they stay on on auto. If it gets dark I turn them on and use the stalk to dip/full. Washers may well get turned off as well. I don't need more stress with phantom braking events - enough was enough with a couple of close calls and I have almost zero interest in in-car entertainment, preferring to concentrate on the driving and the idiocy of other road users.

Reactions: Beady3647
Elon’s eye might be elsewhere, but I’m pretty sure he has some other developers working for him.

Aren’t we ”soon” due navigation improvements (waypoints etc) and some mythical UI update?
Like many other things, it's been promised several times. I think it's when he promises it 3 times they start development and when he says "coming soon" twice does it enter test. We'll then get a week of map reading tests and only if we can navigate by looking at which side of a tree does moss grow wll will be allowed to have it :)

Is it me, but the drip feed of software updates barely get my attention: I've only had the car for 6 months and the one significant update has been the enhancement of the surround sound settings.. sorry M3SR users, you didn't get it.
I buy a car for what it is, not for what it might be, one day.
But then, as a happy Morgan Plus 8 owner with no software at all, other than the ABS and Engine/Transmission CPU I don't expect any changes.

One of the things I love about the M3 is the glass roof, the next best thing to an open top Roadster!

Reactions: GlynG
Ah yes, the 2013 Morgan Plus 8 has a BMW circa 2000 CANBUS system, N62 V8, Automatic gear box and LSD, plus ABS.
Oh yes, it has heated seats, LED lights and Airbags.
The looks and the ride are circa 1970, the electromechanical side is BMW circa 1998. It isn't a kit car, but a fully type approved car!
But as you say, the exact opposite of the M3 and that is why I love it!

One easy improvement would the satnav. It still miscounts roundabout exits (like where an exit/entry pair are separated by a small triangle, the entry is counted as an additional exit).

I can't set it to use miles instead of feet (I have no concept of one thousand feet).

Google Maps on my phone does a noticeably better job of routing. The car displays a Google map - why not use Google's routing? I'm sure they'd be happy to licence it. The tech is well established - just FGS put it in.

I'm sure Elon's attention is fully invested in his rockets - perhaps they are the "sexy" part of the business. But, as a Tesla owner, I can't help feeling somewhat sidelined.

Have a look at 'AI day' materials Tesla presented recently. If anything Tesla is currently spending more $$$$$$$ on FSD development they have ever done, infact it wouldn't surprise me if R&D resources from other departments have been cut to support the FSD team.

The fact IF Tesla can crack FSD with existing hardware and than push it to every car via a software update (yours included) is why Tesla stock continues to be outrageously high, and some predict it'll go even higher.

As a Tesla owner I cannot wait to see what can be achieved with FSD development, but I fully accept there is zero guarantee Tesla can 'solve' FSD. Throwing $$$$$$ at the problem alone isn't enough as Waymo has shone.

Its pretty clear now everyone can make a 'good EV' - Ionqi 5/Kia EV6 etc. But no other car manufacturer is close to what Tesla is trying to achieve with FSD.

Its pretty clear now everyone can make a 'good EV' - Ionqi 5/Kia EV6 etc. But no other car manufacturer is close to what Tesla is trying to achieve with FSD.
FSD may soon be the only reason for choosing a Tesla over another make of EV. The SuC network, which was perhaps the only other big persuader, will soon apparently be opened up to other makes.

Other manufacturers make better EVs than Tesla. My M3P is far too noisy and unrefined for a £60k car, the windscreen wipers are crap, the auto headlights are not fit for purpose and the front seats are not nearly supportive enough for a car of this performance. Sure, the M3 still wins on efficiency, but I’d sacrifice some efficiency and some performance for a more refined and comfortable car.

So we’re left with FSD. I’ve had my car for more than two years and what significant new features have I seen? Absolutely none. In fact many people (there is a specific thread on this) think phantom braking has got worse over the last couple of years. My incredibly advanced car can’t even read temporary speed signs on motorways? Really? That’s seriously pathetic.

We’re continually told that Tesla are hugely ahead in the autonomous driving game and no other manufacturer is even close. I’m not convinced Tesla are anywhere near achieving FSD (I.e. at least Level 4 autonomy). Its always going to be achieved with the next hardware, the latest software release, and now Dojo. Apparently the Cybertruck is going to be fitted with upgraded cameras and an “HW4” computer, so perhaps the current hardware isn’t up to the job. The only accurate thing the Musk has ever said about FSD is that it’s much more difficult than he imagined. FSD is still years away, especially in this country.

So why, today, would I buy a Tesla over any other make? No convincing reason that I can think of. Which is why my next car most definitely won’t be a Tesla.

Reactions: Hurricane
Other manufacturers make better EVs than Tesla. My M3P is far too noisy and unrefined for a £60k car, the windscreen wipers are crap, the auto headlights are not fit for purpose and the front seats are not nearly supportive enough for a car of this performance. Sure, the M3 still wins on efficiency, but I’d sacrifice some efficiency and some performance for a more refined and comfortable car.
It is however a very good £40K car though, as in the SR+. Almost nothing else out there in (direct) competition - other manufacturers seem to be concentrating on SUV's or Crossovers.