Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car put itself in neutral in traffic jam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new one on me. I was stuck at a slow road works for 20+ mins and my S put itself into neutral, put on the courtesy lights and reduced a/c fan speed. Put back in drive when needed and it was back to usual..
Yeah, if you accidentally hit the button my moving your arms...sometimes it can intentionally set your mode to Neutral. This happened to me when I accidentally thought the wipers were on the other side. And, when I bumped it while getting my phone.

A new one on me. I was stuck at a slow road works for 20+ mins and my S put itself into neutral, put on the courtesy lights and reduced a/c fan speed. Put back in drive when needed and it was back to usual..
As in your stopped with brakes on hold? Eventually yes the car will just shift itself into park and apply the park brake. You have to shift it back into drive to carry on.

Reactions: boombap and cryo
I've been having this problem for almost two years and have posted it on this Forum. 5 trips to the Service Center have not been able to solve it as the car doesn't log any specific fault codes. It wasn't a big deal when the car would shift back into Drive, but the problem evolved to where it wouldn't shift out of neutral. A real problem if I was stopped on an incline because I couldn't take my foot off the brake or the car would start rolling. The only way to get it to move on it's own again was to disconnect the 12V battery and the fireman's disconnect for the HV battery. Until I discovered the remote release for the Frunk, even this wasn't an option as the Frunk doesn't open in neutral. The car is basically useless now, as I don't consider it safe to drive on the road and don't trust the SC to fix it. I'm towing it 500 miles to EVs republic tomorrow because they actually know how to troubleshoot beyond downloading fault codes. I hope that the same thing doesn't happen to you, pgkevet.

I've been having this problem for almost two years and have posted it on this Forum. 5 trips to the Service Center have not been able to solve it as the car doesn't log any specific fault codes. It wasn't a big deal when the car would shift back into Drive, but the problem evolved to where it wouldn't shift out of neutral. A real problem if I was stopped on an incline because I couldn't take my foot off the brake or the car would start rolling. The only way to get it to move on it's own again was to disconnect the 12V battery and the fireman's disconnect for the HV battery. Until I discovered the remote release for the Frunk, even this wasn't an option as the Frunk doesn't open in neutral. The car is basically useless now, as I don't consider it safe to drive on the road and don't trust the SC to fix it. I'm towing it 500 miles to EVs republic tomorrow because they actually know how to troubleshoot beyond downloading fault codes. I hope that the same thing doesn't happen to you, pgkevet.
Any news about what was wrong? I am having the exact same problem for months - stuck in neutral once in a while, lots of error codes. And suddenly being able to drive again not knowing when it will happen again... Would really appriciate a solution.