Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car says key not present, when key is in my pocket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine did the same thing.

At first, I thought it's the battery and so I put in a brand new one and yet it still indicated that the key's not present.
And then it worked again.
It happened a few times now so I think it may have something to do with the key fob.

I've had this issue before. I usually carry the fob and my phone in the same pocket. Every now and then the car says the fob isn't present. If I pull it out of my pocket the car sees the fob. Or if I pull the phone out of my pocket the car suddenly sees the fob. So your cell phone could be blocking/interfering with the signal.
I always carry mine in opposite pockets but still saw the issue from time to time. I just couldn't figure out why it would come and go over a several month period. Eventually, I swapped out the battery.

My X has started sometimes saying the key is not present. But I have the key in my pocket. Anyone experience this before?

Maybe it is time for a new battery? if so, is this something I can change? I believe the battery is common type.

If I carry the fob in the same pocket with my metallic house and business keys, sometimes it get shielded from the center console where the detector is located. I just shuffle the stuff in my pocket and it is ok.

I've had this issue before. I usually carry the fob and my phone in the same pocket. Every now and then the car says the fob isn't present. If I pull it out of my pocket the car sees the fob. Or if I pull the phone out of my pocket the car suddenly sees the fob. So your cell phone could be blocking/interfering with the signal.

I never carry the phone in a pocket with keys or change. I cracked a phone screen once and it ran a few hundred to fix it. Learned my lesson.

BTW, anyone try to source the CR2354 battery? Amazon has some sellers with them, but the feedback is really bad on most. Local Target, grocery stores, and drug stores do not carry them.

I never carry the phone in a pocket with keys or change. I cracked a phone screen once and it ran a few hundred to fix it. Learned my lesson.

BTW, anyone try to source the CR2354 battery? Amazon has some sellers with them, but the feedback is really bad on most. Local Target, grocery stores, and drug stores do not carry them.
Hi J, I didn't have very good luck finding those batteries up here either. So I bought some off Amazon.
In my three years, I have had to replace the battery on average every year. A ranger was here recently for a routine service check and said the batteries should last 4-5 years. No way, I believe that time based on my experience. Maybe some folks are having better luck. When my battery started to die, I noticed a similar symptom as you mention, yet as other people say, could be interaction with other items in the pocket. I also noticed that the charger door wouldn't open unless I held the fob higher up on the back window, and the fob operating the door was needing to be closer to the car, so that was a hint to me to replace the battery.

My X has started sometimes saying the key is not present. But I have the key in my pocket. Anyone experience this before?

Maybe it is time for a new battery? if so, is this something I can change? I believe the battery is common type.

I had a fob fail on me even after replacing the battery. Tesla mobile service can come out and replace the fob for free. It's a five minute fix.