Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Shutting Down At Rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like ever since 9.0, my M3P seems to be shutting down a lot when I park it.

When I return to it from work, say (or sometimes just shopping in a store), the car is "all the way down."

Hitting the brakes is dead feeling and the car takes about 60 seconds for the T on the screen to appear and then the system comes up and car prepares to drive.

This never used to happen on the car unless I literally hit the Power Down button to shut it down.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm wondering if it's time to contact service...

(Note: this is not happening with our other M3...)

Seems like ever since 9.0, my M3P seems to be shutting down a lot when I park it.

When I return to it from work, say (or sometimes just shopping in a store), the car is "all the way down."

Hitting the brakes is dead feeling and the car takes about 60 seconds for the T on the screen to appear and then the system comes up and car prepares to drive.

This never used to happen on the car unless I literally hit the Power Down button to shut it down.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm wondering if it's time to contact service...

I think it's worth having the SC checking it out. The situation you describe has never happened to me.

Reactions: Dana1
Mine is almost doing the opposite. If I do a shutdown on the service menu it will be back "up" before I can even get out of the car.
I've never seen it as "Off" as you say. 3 months, 3000 miles P3D-.

Lot's of weird stuff going on and I'd wait a couple updates before letting them mess with it.

Someone else was complaining about this in a idle or vampire drain thread. However, it is unrelated to vampire/phantom drain. It sounds like your computer is rebooting frequently for some reason, which is not normal.

It happens to me all the time. I don’t complain as I also hate vampire losses.

Fast startup and low vampire losses can coexist as far as I can tell.

Being in sleep mode (the lowest power state which results in less than a mile per day of drain), which helps vampire losses, doesn't impact start up time significantly. Vampire losses are dominated by excessive idle mode state, which I think is what you're referring to here. Being in idle mode will improve the speed at which you can drive your car from opening the door by perhaps 1-2 seconds at most, so that is not the reason why the car stays in idle mode (at normal temperatures, there is no good reason to be in idle mode, as far as I can tell - it's generally stuck in that idle state to help Tesla with uploading driving data - very slowly, for some reason). In general you can start driving from sleep mode in about 5 seconds; I've been experimenting with this recently. So I think the OP has a problem distinct from being in sleep mode - the car is NOT slow to recover from sleep mode, which is a great mode for the car to be in when you're not in it (for vampire loss reasons, as you say).

You can determine sleep/idle state using the iOS widget, usually. However, it's not 100%, and isn't always updated on every drive cycle, for some reason. I think a more definitive way of telling what mode the car was in is: do you hear the contactors "clunk" shortly after opening the doors, or even on approach to the vehicle (sometimes?)?

Today I got in the car very quickly, tried to drive, it told me to "wait" on the screen, contactors clunked on, then I was good to go (whole process took less than about 5 seconds).

I think this could be related to what is happening to some of us on the M3OC thread called "Audio bug" or "audio issues". Occasionally i will get in, the screen will be black for 30 seconds even when pressing brake, needing a reset, and i lose all audio (even blinkers) until i go to the menu and force a total shutdown (reset, including with the pedal, makes the screen come on, but no audio). There are literally dozens of us. Dozens! (obligatory arrested development reference). Only happened 3 times, so, hard to pin down. I emailed [email protected], and they waited 2 weeks to respond to tell me to email [email protected] instead, or call the number and wait on hold for 90 minutes. No thanks. I'll just reboot.

Let's get the terminology right. The car is NOT "all the way down". You got in it, that means that at least some of the computers were working well.
I HIGHLY suspect that the car is a LOT more functional than you think. I believe that you will find that you can move it into drive and the car will actually move, the autopilot will probably also work.

What you are seeing is that the display CPU is rebooting. No, it is not correct, but it happens. Yes, yours sounds as if it is happening more than anticipated.

Knowing how to report the problem will definitely help it get fixed easier.

O
I think this could be related to what is happening to some of us on the M3OC thread called "Audio bug" or "audio issues". Occasionally i will get in, the screen will be black for 30 seconds even when pressing brake, needing a reset, and i lose all audio (even blinkers) until i go to the menu and force a total shutdown (reset, including with the pedal, makes the screen come on, but no audio). There are literally dozens of us. Dozens! (obligatory arrested development reference). Only happened 3 times, so, hard to pin down. I emailed [email protected], and they waited 2 weeks to respond to tell me to email [email protected] instead, or call the number and wait on hold for 90 minutes. No thanks. I'll just reboot.

Something similar is also covered on this forum, of course...haven't encountered this particular issue myself but definitely rebooting results in no audio, even for the blinkers.

No audio bug in Model 3

In any case one thing that seems different is the OP talks about a "dead feeling" on the brakes. I didn't see any reference to that elsewhere. Could be the brake booster or something isn't operating due to system reboot, I guess, but not sure if that would affect the brake travel (which is the only reason I would think someone would complain about the brake when they are stationary). Also that would be pretty dangerous, as power assisted brakes are very important (and I believe should be unaffected by rebooting). So I worry about that particular aspect of the OP's comment. But, aside from that, it just sounds like uncommanded rebooting...

I have been getting the audio issue as well, so some correlation there (though it hasn't happened since the last update for me, but these shutdowns continue.

Let's get the terminology right. The car is NOT "all the way down". You got in it, that means that at least some of the computers were working well.
I HIGHLY suspect that the car is a LOT more functional than you think. I believe that you will find that you can move it into drive and the car will actually move, the autopilot will probably also work.

What you are seeing is that the display CPU is rebooting. No, it is not correct, but it happens. Yes, yours sounds as if it is happening more than anticipated.

Knowing how to report the problem will definitely help it get fixed easier.

Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about. The brakes are dead just like when the car is in a power-down situation. But after a tap on these dead brakes, the car will power up.

I'm not sure how much farther down the car could go without never coming back up. This state is indistinguishable from a power off situation. In fact, when it comes up like this and audio isn't there (easiest way for me to test it on one of these cold boots is to hit the turn signal and see if it makes a clicking sound), I just power it down from the safety menu and then hit the brake again to bring it back up. Usually works (like 90% of the time), and pretty much always does by the second power down and back up.

@gizmoboy What do you mean the brakes are dead? Do they feel different initially or “come up” after you first press it? If so, how long does that process take? I have never felt that in my car, and I don’t think it is normal. However maybe I need to pay closer attention.

There's no "play" in them at first (like the mechanism isn't charged), but they come up when the system powers back up.

Takes ~60 seconds.

If you power down your car sitting in it and wait until it powers all the way down, you should be able to reproduce this sensation. (At least I can...)

I have been getting the audio issue as well, so some correlation there (though it hasn't happened since the last update for me, but these shutdowns continue.

Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about. The brakes are dead just like when the car is in a power-down situation. But after a tap on these dead brakes, the car will power up.

I'm not sure how much farther down the car could go without never coming back up. This state is indistinguishable from a power off situation. In fact, when it comes up like this and audio isn't there (easiest way for me to test it on one of these cold boots is to hit the turn signal and see if it makes a clicking sound), I just power it down from the safety menu and then hit the brake again to bring it back up. Usually works (like 90% of the time), and pretty much always does by the second power down and back up.

Have you tried to put the car in drive and move? I have had the same thing, I get in the car, display is dead, but I can still put the car in drive/reverse and be on my way and the screen will come up when it comes up. Turn signal sound won't work but the signals are still working too.

Its happening to me quite often as well. It starts up pretty quickly, however its annoying.

I've been having the same issue for months now. I have been in contact with the SC and had an appointment setup. They asked me for the times it happens, they told me that after looking at the logs, it is a known issue that they don't have fix for yet and there was no reason to bring the car in yet. There have been a few updates out since then but still no fix. It is pretty annoying at times but not a real problem just yet.

I have the same issue. The SC has pulled my logs, and so far they do not know what was causing it. They told me at one point that they thought it was caused by the USB drive that I was using for the dashcam, but I changed the USB drive and it did not fix the issue. Hopefully they will find a fix as it is pretty annoying.

Have you tried to put the car in drive and move? I have had the same thing, I get in the car, display is dead, but I can still put the car in drive/reverse and be on my way and the screen will come up when it comes up. Turn signal sound won't work but the signals are still working too.

Yes, I can drive the car but no audio and have to manually engage the seat settings.