Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car slept for 4 days, upon wake up screen is black, vents off, cant drive. Reboot recovered it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone experiences this before? Waking car up after its been asleep for a while (app said 4 days asleep) but plugged in, I couldnt flash lights or honk through the app, but lock/unlock worked. I waited a bit but the screen never turned on, fans never turned on.

After waiting a few minutes I did a reboot (scroll wheels and brake), it rebooted and everything started working fine.

Has anyone experienced anything like that? Im on 2024.20.1 software.

Ive seen similar before, where screen doesnt wake up right away, but its usually back up (after showing a Tesla logo) in about 30 sec to a minute.

99% of the time its awake and ready to go without any of this.

12V lead acid

I would recommend installing a Bluetooth 12V Monitor, so you can check the status of your battery.

Typically when sleeping for a long time, the DC/DC inverter recharges the low voltage battery every three to five days,
for about one hour, this is triggered when the battery voltage reaches about 12.5V or below.

However, when the car is sleeping, if you notice that your battery needs to be recharged daily,
this shows that your 12V battery doesn't hold the charge and needs to be changed.

I believe that what you experienced with your screen display turned off, was a "Load Sheeding" where all the
non essentials devices are turned down to save energy, a kind of hibernation mode like for a PC or a laptop.

A 12V battery lasts between four and six years, so maybe it is time to replace your battery.
My battery lasted almost six years. I bought one from at the Service Center and is is quite simple to replace it.

You mentionned that you kept the car plugged, but this was only to keep the propulsion battery
charged to a threshold that you had set. You should check your electricity report which might
give you an idea of your daily home consumption.

Typically only your refrigerator might have been running, and if some days there is an extra consumption,
this indicates that your car was charged. Or you should also have received a message on your phone
everytime was car was charged.

I would also recommend checking for diagnostics messages using Service Mode.

Last edited: