Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Squeaking when coming to complete stop (only with 21" Performance Wheels)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, recently I switched backed to my summer set of Wheels, they are the 21" Performance Tesla Turbines. Since placing these on my car, whenever I come to complete stop (5mph to 0mph) i get a loud squeak. I never had this issue with the 19" wheels and actually last summer I had the same issue with the performance wheels but the day I switched back to the 19's I had no issues at all. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this squeak? I really hate when i pull up to a stop light in this lovely newish tesla and then you get this horrible nails on chalk board sound.

Thanks! - kholy

I have 21" wheels and have struggled with this problem. I've only ever had 21", so I don't really know if this is unique to them. The squeaking is due to rust on the brakes. The rust builds up since the brakes aren't used much with regenerative braking. To clear the rust, you need to do a few hard brakes from a decent speed. It doesn't take too much and you should be good for a while. Putting regenerative braking in "low" makes this easier in normal driving. Hope that helps!

Reactions: kholy
But why would it only happen with the 21's? You'd think the same thing would happen with the 19's are on? I've tried hitting my breaks decently hard and it seems that it just never goes away.
Removing rust from disc does NOT require hard braking. ALL disc brakes have this property of rust on steel rotors. Any braking with the brake pedal will remove and does so all the time.

Did you ask your Service Center ? may be early sign of something loose or out of alignment. brakes are important.

I have the same exact issue. I've been driving with 19" wheels for 2+ years. Just last week I picked up a set of the 21" Arachnids and had the Service Center install them. I instantly noticed the same noise and under the same conditions as the OP describes.

I have an appointment on April 1st to have them check it out.

Same issue here, and had the service center look at the groaning/squeaking issue. This sounds much different from the typical high pitch squealing brakes make. The car also groans/squeals when I turn my wheels to either side while stopped. I also have 21” wheels and 2016 refresh. Service center said it’s a “normal” sound for Model S due to air suspension and lack of using breaks with regen. It sounded like a BS response to me, and I’m still listening to it at 30k miles.

Same issue here, and had the service center look at the groaning/squeaking issue. This sounds much different from the typical high pitch squealing brakes make. The car also groans/squeals when I turn my wheels to either side while stopped. I also have 21” wheels and 2016 refresh. Service center said it’s a “normal” sound for Model S due to air suspension and lack of using breaks with regen. It sounded like a BS response to me, and I’m still listening to it at 30k miles.
I had this as well with my 21s. Has completely disappeared now I have 19s. I also have standard spring suspension, so their response around air suspension is BS.

Same issue here on 18’ S100D. I thought I was the only one. With 19’s all winter it’s been quiet and smooth. With 21 arachnids it’s always this squeal around 10kph to zero. Pain in the...

SC also said to mash on them occasionally as they are ceramic pads. Again then why no noise with 19’s?

Im a new owner of a 75D with 21s and it makes the same noise you describe as well. Will try the hard braking suggestion to see if that helps as it makes sense in theory. I use the brakes below 10kph only 99.9% of the time.

Wow! Sad to see I am not the only one! It's so crazy to me that it doesn't happen one time while I have my 19's on but 5 minutes after i put my 21's on it happened. to me it sounds like driver side front is making the most noise and its only when coming to complete stop, just feels so odd. I found a video of the exact sound I'm having from someone else.
I sent it to a ranger that has worked on my car a few times now and he scheduled an appointment for me to come look at it next Thursday. Hopefully I'll have a better answer. FYI, those that go to service centers... their ranger (mobile) service is freaking awesome. The local guy for NE Ohio is good and very nice

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and Shateam
Wow! Sad to see I am not the only one! It's so crazy to me that it doesn't happen one time while I have my 19's on but 5 minutes after i put my 21's on it happened. to me it sounds like driver side front is making the most noise and its only when coming to complete stop, just feels so odd. I found a video of the exact sound I'm having from someone else.
I sent it to a ranger that has worked on my car a few times now and he scheduled an appointment for me to come look at it next Thursday. Hopefully I'll have a better answer. FYI, those that go to service centers... their ranger (mobile) service is freaking awesome. The local guy for NE Ohio is good and very nice

Yup, that’s it. Please report back your ranger’s findings and any resolution. Thanks!

On a previous car I increased rim size for better Solo2 performance and the reduced side wall of the new tires caused a number of suspension vibration issues. Going back to the stock rims solved the problems so it may be the same in this case where a low sidewall has no flex and it transmits road and tire vibration to the brakes and suspension.

As a test I would try reduced air pressure in the tires. The new foam filled tires may also provide a solution.

Tires have been the cause of many of my suspension issues so I start there.

So I have my appointment last week on Thursday... and of course like clockwork the issue stopped on Wednesday eve... I didn't hear anything all day Thursday so he couldn't do much (no fault to him). Friday it rained and boy its back and loud! and since Friday I've been hearing it with a couple sunny days now in a row. I hate this issue