Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Squeaking when coming to complete stop (only with 21" Performance Wheels)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If softer pads don't solve this issue it may be the design of the wheel. 19 inch stock wheels have essentially 5 spokes where as the the 21 in wheels have double that. The force applied to the hub transfers through the spokes which may be just at the frequency of human hearing.

Personally, I think that the 19 inch wheels are correct for this car to deal with pot holes and road imperfections. The 21 inch wheels should be installed for show car rallies where style wins points.

Tesla should at least test out softer pads to provide a viable solution. Except for the nuisance of brake dust on the rims the reduced life expectancy of softer pads should not be an issue. A tire/mag shop that can provide high style 21 inch rims without the brake squeal would have a sales winner. Only some testing would be required.

I'm staying with the 19 inch rims as I have a matching spare for touring. My past experience with oversize rims on a sports car from the mid 90s caused suspension vibration problems. I don't need to repeat that hassle and expense to debug the problem.

I just swapped from Turbines to factory 19s and the sound is almost entirely gone. It still happens when turning wheels on an steep incline when stopped.

I always thought this sound was caused by the bushing design or something.

Sounds worse than an old VAZ-2109 with no power steering.

vaz-2109-mk3-pic4664.jpg

the 21 in wheels have double that. The force applied to the hub transfers through the spokes which may be just at the frequency of human hearing.
I think this has to be the issue, would never have thought of that but I think you are on the money. I've also never heard of this happening to any other wheels on the market. Those 21" rims have to be super strong to be able to deal with heavy launches under full power, I'd be concerned putting on any other aftermarket wheels TBH.

I think this has to be the issue, would never have thought of that but I think you are on the money. I've also never heard of this happening to any other wheels on the market. Those 21" rims have to be super strong to be able to deal with heavy launches under full power, I'd be concerned putting on any other aftermarket wheels TBH.
Why would you be concerned with aftermarket wheels?

I decided to do a bit of a test myself with this issue as I also have 21" wheels and the embarrassing groaning sound with low speed braking. As was suggested by someone, turn regen to Low so you have to use the bakes in daily driving (not forced heavy braking, just normal braking like you'd do in a regular car).
Well I can say that after a few days of driving with regen set to low (I probably did 250 kms of suburban driving), the noise has totally gone in normal driving, it still groans a bit when cold and turning the wheel moving out of my garage but that is it.

I also think there is two problems, given the car makes the same horrid sound when turning the wheel sitting still it can't be the pads/rotors causing that, I think someone else was on the money saying it is some sort of resonance in the rims themselves. If you can swap 19's back on and it goes away then surely that is the case.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH
I decided to do a bit of a test myself with this issue as I also have 21" wheels and the embarrassing groaning sound with low speed braking. As was suggested by someone, turn regen to Low so you have to use the bakes in daily driving (not forced heavy braking, just normal braking like you'd do in a regular car).
Well I can say that after a few days of driving with regen set to low (I probably did 250 kms of suburban driving), the noise has totally gone in normal driving, it still groans a bit when cold and turning the wheel moving out of my garage but that is it.

I also think there is two problems, given the car makes the same horrid sound when turning the wheel sitting still it can't be the pads/rotors causing that, I think someone else was on the money saying it is some sort of resonance in the rims themselves. If you can swap 19's back on and it goes away then surely that is the case.

After the brakes stop squeaking you can turn regen back to normal and they will remain quiet. You only need low regen to get rid of the squeak.

So it doesn't come back after a while?

Yes the squeak is there every morning for me unfortunately but after I do a couple of hard brakes and drive for a few mins on low regen it seems to stay away for that particular day, even after I switch to norm regen. It definitely comes back in the morning.

One thing I’ve noticed is the first time I washed my car the rotors were rusted completely before I even got done with the initial rinse. I don’t remember any of my other cars doing this but I have 21 turbines and it my just be that they don’t provide any protection.

Same issue here. All these theories of brake oxidation and electric cars don’t use their brakes blah blah is beyond maddening, especially after a dose of it from your SC.

I literally pull into my garage on the 19”s after driving, without ever having any of this “junker groan”, dismount them, mount the 21” turbines, floor the car, and without moving the car, steer the wheels lock-to-lock and produce the metallic groan akin to the video on page 1. Zero brake engagement on a stationary car, zero moisture, nothing.

This ridiculous problem has nothing to do with oxidized brakes. I think it’s some suspension component that’s not up to par with handling the mass of these 21” wheels.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Mickie, I agree the 21" wheels are the main issue and my findings were turning the wheel stationary produces it all the time like everyone else. But I definitely noticed it went away when pulling up to the lights/stop sign after turning regen to low and the brakes had to be used more. I'm not suggesting that was the oxidisation theory, I'm just saying it made a difference (but not eliminated) once the brakes were getting used.