Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Suddenly Won't Go To Sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
Where is the setting to allow the car to go to sleep? It won't go to sleep since the last update and vampire drain is about 4 miles a day. I looked through all the settings and couldn't find anything. Was the setting removed?

usually does it on its own.. you need to make sure that you're not looking at the app often and any widgets that are on your phone that poll the API of the tesla app. Mine sleeps just fine.

I've had the car 3 years, this is new behavior. It's slept fine for 3 years, now it suddenly isn't. I haven't had any Tesla app open on my phone in a week.

OK, I did a complete shutdown through the Safety and Security menu. I left the car shutoff for about 15 minutes and then rebooted. After running some errands the car shut down about an hour after it finished recharging.

It was in some kind of state where it wouldn't go to sleep, even after a pushing the wheels reboot. Very weird.

The problem doesn't seem to be resolved. I now need to manually shutdown the car when it's done charging. It went to sleep on its own once, but now needs to be put to sleep each time.
I recently had the same problem. What worked for me? Changing my Tesla password. I was logged in from the Tesla app and Remote S from multiple devices, plus I use teslafi. None on its own should keep the car awake, but apparently one of them was. Resetting my password forced them all to lose their session, and suddenly the car started sleeping.

I recently had the same problem. What worked for me? Changing my Tesla password. I was logged in from the Tesla app and Remote S from multiple devices, plus I use teslafi. None on its own should keep the car awake, but apparently one of them was. Resetting my password forced them all to lose their session, and suddenly the car started sleeping.

Interesting, I just changed the password. It's worth a shot.

The tech came out Friday and he ran diagnostics but didn't get anywhere. He mentioned that the car is supposed to stay on when plugged in, but it didn't start doing this until an update I believe in late July. If they did make this change, they broke the functionality.

Ever since I got the car in 2016 normal procedure is to leave the car plugged in when I'm at home. This is what Tesla recommended at the time. Normal behavior was to charge up to 90% (where I had it set), then sit for an hour or so with the instrument screen on, then it would shut off and go to sleep. I would normally see about 1 mile a day range loss in this situation. If the car sat for more than a couple of days it would charge back up to 90% again.

I believe the change started with 2019.24.4. When plugged in the instrument screen would never shut down and vampire drain went up to about 5 miles a day.

After the tech left, I ran an errand, and the car had finished charging I experimented going out there and unplugging the car. The instrument screen immediately shut off and the car lost less than a mile in the 16-18 hours it sat before I drove it Saturday. After getting home on Saturday I again unplugged the car when it finished charging.

It appears either something broke in the way the car works or they made an undocumented software change. It is consistent enough that it doesn't make sense that this is only my car, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I can't conclude they made a software change.

Does anyone else see this change in behavior?

If they did make a software change it doesn't make sense to make a change that would leave part of the car powered up and drawing power when plugged in and not draw power from the wall to do it. But then they've made boneheaded software changes before.

Per TeslaFi, my car has not slept at all since the late July timeframe. Doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not. It slept like a baby previously.

I've tweaked the TeslaFi settings, tried disabling sentry - no joy. I'm out of ideas.

Per TeslaFi, my car has not slept at all since the late July timeframe. Doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not. It slept like a baby previously.

I've tweaked the TeslaFi settings, tried disabling sentry - no joy. I'm out of ideas.

When TeslaFi was new I tried it and had that happen. At the time there was a setting in the menus that TeslaFi had changed and all I had to do was change it back and quit using TeslaFi and it slept OK after that.

It appears to have been resolved remotely, or it just mysteriously went away. On Thursday I wrote a detailed e-mail to someone I had corresponded with at Portland Tesla service. I described all the symptoms and my best guesses from experience debugging hardware and firmware over the years. I didn't get a response, but went out twice on Friday and both times the instrument cluster shut off a little while after charging finished. The first time someone got something out of the back seat and didn't close the door, but the car still shut down. The second time it shut down normally. On Saturday when I drove it overnight vampire drain was completely normal (less than 1 mile range) and it shut down again after it finished charging after I got home.

I wrote Tesla service Friday after I noticed the instrument cluster turning off, but it was around 5:30 so if I hear back it may not be until next week.

One of the possibilities I suggested is that a file got corrupted in the OS. Probably something to do with running the timer that shuts off the instrument cluster. I wonder if they came in remotely and did a repair on the OS installation?

If it is really fixed that's going to save me a trip to the service center!

@wdolson how do you define IC sleep, just by it going black? My 2017 S90D started to put the IC to a deeper sleep mode since a couple of updates ago (28.3 now). When I sit in the car, the IC has Tesla logo still for 5 seconds or so before it’s ready. It used to be ready by the time I’m in the car, and it didn’t start up from logo screen. Plugged in or not. I’m losing a couple of % on vampire drain, so your mile a day sounds way better. I’m thinking they have so many forks in hw and sw by now that few cars work alike.

@wdolson how do you define IC sleep, just by it going black? My 2017 S90D started to put the IC to a deeper sleep mode since a couple of updates ago (28.3 now). When I sit in the car, the IC has Tesla logo still for 5 seconds or so before it’s ready. It used to be ready by the time I’m in the car, and it didn’t start up from logo screen. Plugged in or not. I’m losing a couple of % on vampire drain, so your mile a day sounds way better. I’m thinking they have so many forks in hw and sw by now that few cars work alike.

There are many different modes the car can be in. The instrument screen sometimes reboots with the Tesla logo while I'm out and about. I'll only be out of the car for a few minutes and then I have to wait for the screen to finish loading. There are also different sleep modes when the car has been sitting. After about 24 hours it goes into some other sleep state that causes the mirrors to unfold when I go to drive again. I've been talking to Tesla about that one for a while.

What I'm talking about is the behavior of the instrument screen when it's done charging. Normal behavior has always been that the instrument screen stay on for a little bit (about an hour) after charging is complete, but then it shuts off. Sometimes the screens come back quickly when I get back in to drive, sometimes it takes a few seconds for the screens to boot. After a firmware update I did see the instrument screen stay on after charging a couple of times, but doing the steering wheel reboot fixed it.

This time the screen was staying on and rebooting the car made no difference.

The cars run Linux OS for the MCU. Just like two identical laptop or desktop computers running the same version of an OS, they can have different behaviors. I have two computers here with very similar hardware and the same version of Windows, but they each have quirks the other doesn't. OS files can get damaged, different files from different updates can get installed, settings can be a little different from one to the other, etc.

Yes, I guess the car OS becomes unique combination over time especially as the updates seem to be incremental patches judging by the size of them, and full refresh happens only maybe with full version change, if ever. More over, us with older MCU1 gear are probably no longer the focus of testing.

On 28.2, I caught my car in the driveway fully turned off from the outside, playing spotify by itself...