Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car was dead this morning after 3 days in sleep mode while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla Ranger ran a diagnostic on my original 12V battery in August and gave it a clean bill of health; then when I had the car down to the SC at the end of September, for its first major servicing (at 15,000 miles), they went ahead and replaced the 12V battery anyway, presumably on orders from above. VIN 00118.
My battery was tagged for replacement just shy of 1 year out. New battery is deep cycle type. Service tech reported that constant current draws by computers due to lack of sleep mode has been hard on the 12 V's. They are able to monitor DC-to-DC converter cycling and when it becomes more frequent you get s new battery.

Sorry for the partially off-topic...

With the climate control set to { AC off, no-recirc, at windshield, fan speed 1 } and 25-35F weather, battery heating kicks in (but not cabin AC) and I smell something that reminds me of pasta burning on an electric range. I'd like a better name for that smell. Anybody have a better description? And is that the battery heater pump or something else?
As mknox suggested it could be the resistive heater kicking in. The first few times you use it you will get the smell - just like the first time you turn your home heater on each season. I get it in the Roadster each year. It should go away very quickly though. If it persists then something else is going on.