Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car was dead this morning after 3 days in sleep mode while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this email:

A recent review of your vehicle data log indicates that the 12-volt battery installed in your vehicle is nearing the end of its life. Should the 12-volt battery reach a low state of charge, it may not continue to support the vehicle’s on board modules, which may prevent the vehicle from loading firmware or, in some cases, from starting. Prior to the full discharge of the battery, a warning indicator will display on the instrument cluster, indicating that the car needs servicing. However, to eliminate any inconvenience to you, the 12-volt battery should be replaced at your earliest convenience. Note that this repair affects only your 12-volt battery, and does not indicate an issue with your car’s high voltage battery pack.

Please contact Tesla’s White Plains Service Department Concierge at (914)993-1480or [email protected] at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment to replace the 12-volt battery.

This repair is covered by the car’s warranty, will take approximately 120 minutes to complete, and can be accomplished either at your local service center or by Tesla Ranger service, $100 Tesla Ranger Fee may apply.

Got this email:

A recent review of your vehicle data log indicates that the 12-volt battery installed in your vehicle is nearing the end of its life. Should the 12-volt battery reach a low state of charge, it may not continue to support the vehicle’s on board modules, which may prevent the vehicle from loading firmware or, in some cases, from starting. Prior to the full discharge of the battery, a warning indicator will display on the instrument cluster, indicating that the car needs servicing. However, to eliminate any inconvenience to you, the 12-volt battery should be replaced at your earliest convenience. Note that this repair affects only your 12-volt battery, and does not indicate an issue with your car’s high voltage battery pack.

Please contact Tesla’s White Plains Service Department Concierge at (914)993-1480or [email protected] at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment to replace the 12-volt battery.

This repair is covered by the car’s warranty, will take approximately 120 minutes to complete, and can be accomplished either at your local service center or by Tesla Ranger service, $100 Tesla Ranger Fee may apply.

Don't know how long you've had your car but if the battery has such a short life that will be a huge problem for Tesla. I trust the fix will solve that problem.

I've had the car less than one week since it bought it used. The car delivered to the first owner in May. The car was taken in for 1 year service last week before it was signed over to me to make sure nothing was needed as I have no SC near me in Rochester, NY. And now this - At least Tesla is willing to send Ranger to my house to change out the 12V battery free with no ranger fee. I told them I'm considering signing up for their ranger plan if they offered it to me. They are saying the car has to be transfered to my Tesla Dashboard before that can be offered.

Don't know how long you've had your car but if the battery has such a short life that will be a huge problem for Tesla. I trust the fix will solve that problem.

I'm assuming that the first generation 12V battery is being replaced, the one that Tesla has proactively been replacing across the board. I have not heard that the replacements have had any significant problems or short lifespans.

A Tesla Ranger ran a diagnostic on my original 12V battery in August and gave it a clean bill of health; then when I had the car down to the SC at the end of September, for its first major servicing (at 15,000 miles), they went ahead and replaced the 12V battery anyway, presumably on orders from above. VIN 00118.

The Rockville SC left me a voicemail about an hour ago. The engineers in California are guiding them through a number of tests. It appears the problem resulting in unusual drain of the 12v battery is in the heating systems for the battery or one of the small pumps. They're testing each component separately to isolate the problem and identify the faulty component.

The Rockville SC left me a voicemail about an hour ago. The engineers in California are guiding them through a number of tests. It appears the problem resulting in unusual drain of the 12v battery is in the heating systems for the battery or one of the small pumps. They're testing each component separately to isolate the problem and identify the faulty component.

That was whats wrong with with my car. Not sure what exactly happened, but they replace the coolant pump for the battery system on my car when it died.

Fess up. Tell the service center about your sauna mod.

Latest news is that they think it's the battery heater pump. They're going to replace it and test. I'm off on a business trip in a few hours but they're accommodating my schedule in planning for return of my car. If all is well with today's testing I'll have it back on Friday am. Great service all the way!

The problem was fixed yesterday and I'm getting my car back today. It was a defective battery heater pump that was drawing down the 12v battery. The Rockville SC is having my car delivered to the local Enterprise car rental facility where I'll be returning the Jaguar XF 2.0T that Tesla is covering as a loaner.

The XF made me appreciate the Model S all the more. I know it's the low end Jag sedan, but it's not at all impressive. Handling is good, steering very good, but overall its a quite ordinary car, except for the bling interior, which I found an over-statement that for me was real turn off (I love the understated simple elegance of the Telsa interior). The Jag's performance overall was quite ordinary. I would rate it about the same as the top line Honda Accord (worse, actually).

It was a defective battery heater pump that was drawing down the 12v battery.
Sorry for the partially off-topic...

With the climate control set to { AC off, no-recirc, at windshield, fan speed 1 } and 25-35F weather, battery heating kicks in (but not cabin AC) and I smell something that reminds me of pasta burning on an electric range. I'd like a better name for that smell. Anybody have a better description? And is that the battery heater pump or something else?

...I smell something that reminds me of pasta burning on an electric range. I'd like a better name for that smell. Anybody have a better description? And is that the battery heater pump or something else?

Yes, I get that too. It reminds me of when the furnace or an electric heater comes on for the first time in the season and you get that smell of dust burning off the heat exchanger/element. I suspect that is what's going on here too.