Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash mode fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, took my car into an automatic car wash for the first time. Turned on car wash mode.

Warning... don't trust it when it says it rolls up all the windows. Back seat (and dog) got a nice spraying of water before I noticed the window still down a couple inches.

TBH I've given up entirely on carwash mode and we run our cars through automatic carwashes several times a week. It's a hot mess.

I open the quick settings menu as I line up to fold the mirrors and disable rain sensing wipers. I then hold partially up on the gear stalk to access neutral. The only sketchy part is touching the brake at the end to access drive as the car behind you are closing in. Make sure you leave your seatbelt on uninterrupted and you'll be good.

The older Teslas were WAY better for automatic carwashes. Infinitely in fact. I get that with the newer motors it's a requirement of sorts since the motors won't free-roll like the older cars. The current version of carwash mode is a buggy mess that causes super high anxiety and potentially dangerous situations.

Tesla really needs to address carwash mode. They need to start by removing the requirement for using the brake to access and leave. The last thing you want to have to do while in an automatic carwash is press the brake... Twice. There's zero reason for it and it's NOT a safety issue. It's actually creating dangerous situations every single time.

TBH I've given up entirely on carwash mode and we run our cars through automatic carwashes several times a week. It's a hot mess.

I open the quick settings menu as I line up to fold the mirrors and disable rain sensing wipers. I then hold partially up on the gear stalk to access neutral. The only sketchy part is touching the brake at the end to access drive as the car behind you are closing in. Make sure you leave your seatbelt on uninterrupted and you'll be good.

The older Teslas were WAY better for automatic carwashes. Infinitely in fact. I get that with the newer motors it's a requirement of sorts since the motors won't free-roll like the older cars. The current version of carwash mode is a buggy mess that causes super high anxiety and potentially dangerous situations.

Tesla really needs to address carwash mode. They need to start by removing the requirement for using the brake to access and leave. The last thing you want to have to do while in an automatic carwash is press the brake... Twice. There's zero reason for it and it's NOT a safety issue. It's actually creating dangerous situations every single time.
Most of the process happens when you put the car in Neutral. Car rolls freely, the wipers are off. The only other thing you need to do, is fold in the mirrors, which can be remembered by location, so you only need to do that once. It Should be easy

I keep searching this and think I have it every time but I always forget to apply the brake for free roll, panic then try neutral like a newbie motorcycle rider fumbling.

Entering car wash mode does not seem to do what it implies. It does not roll up the windows. I should wait and do it in sequence 1. Car wash mode 2. Free roll. …But at Costco you have to hand over the ticket, which can’t be done if the window rolls up and locks.

Has anyone successfully figured out the correct sequence for car wash with rollers?

I've narrowed our issues down to the free roll being the issue. I would say that more often than not when I attempt to go to Free Roll mode once placed on the conveyor belt the car freaks out and kicks it out of free roll mode. I believe this is due to the car sensing that the front wheel is stationary and the back wheel is rolling until it, too, gets on the conveyor belt.

This creates incredibly high anxiety situations that are completely unnecessary.

I went to just putting the thing in neutral, and folding the mirrors manually as the work-around. This works fine but I like the idea of it switching the HVAC to keep excess liquids from potentially being ingested. TBH, I'm not sure how important that step really is unless you never drive in the rain.

What I've started doing is combining these two approaches: I place the car in Carwash mode only and I skip the free roll portion since that seems to cause the most issues. I then simply long press the partial up position on the gear selector to engage neutral when the attendant tells me to stop and let it do it's thing. Then, at the end, I simply very gently touch the brake to allow me to engage "D" on the gear selector to drive away.

Like I said, this seems to be the most consistent and drama-free way to do car washes in these newer Teslas with the newer motors in them. The older cars were still easily the best as you literally did nothing other than not engage the (H) feature by pressing the brake too hard when the attendant told you to stop.

Tesla should address the free-roll option issues and also remove the requirement to engage "D" once you're done w/the carwash. The older cars allowed this and car washes were much less anxiety. Tesla needs to address the software on these newer cars as one shouldn't dread the carwash.

2023 MX - I agree, carwash mode is a stresser. As I am being guided into the wash my window is down to tell the attendant 'no tire shine', then I frantically roll the window up, enter carwash mode, then touch brake to enter free roll. 9 out of ten times the machine rolls my car before I get it into free roll. From now on I will be putting it in Neutral and fold the mirrors as suggested above.