Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will not charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 X dual motor. Plugged the car in at home after a trip to West Palm. Battery is at 30%. Light turns blue at the charging port, stays blue. Car says ready to charge, check charger power (Tesla home charger), but the light is green on the charger. Reset the breaker for the charger several times. Re-booted the car several times. No joy. Plugged the car into a NEMA 1450 I use to charge a motorhome, using the portable charger cord supplied by Tesla when you buy the car. Same message, though the light is green on the portable charging cord, showing it is receiving power. Rebooted the car a couple of times again, tried it with a 110 outlet and the portable charger, again no joy. So the problem is with the car itself, though it wants to blame the charger. Set up an appointment, but I obviously can’t drive the car back to West Palm for service, as it will continue to lose charge, the appointment is for the 3rd of September. Asked in the service app for them to come to me.

Any ideas on what might be the issue? Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks

2019 X dual motor. Plugged the car in at home after a trip to West Palm. Battery is at 30%. Light turns blue at the charging port, stays blue. Car says ready to charge, check charger power (Tesla home charger), but the light is green on the charger. Reset the breaker for the charger several times. Re-booted the car several times. No joy. Plugged the car into a NEMA 1450 I use to charge a motorhome, using the portable charger cord supplied by Tesla when you buy the car. Same message, though the light is green on the portable charging cord, showing it is receiving power. Rebooted the car a couple of times again, tried it with a 110 outlet and the portable charger, again no joy. So the problem is with the car itself, though it wants to blame the charger. Set up an appointment, but I obviously can’t drive the car back to West Palm for service, as it will continue to lose charge, the appointment is for the 3rd of September. Asked in the service app for them to come to me.

Any ideas on what might be the issue? Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks
You may have set the car to charge at a specific time, I.e. delayed start. But that should be pretty obvious with an on screen message, something like “charging will begin at 3:30 AM“ or something similar. It is pretty strange for the car simply not charge without throwing up some kind of error message. Is there a supercharger within range of the car? It is possible for the AC charger in the car to fail, but DC Supercharging works fine.

No, I don’t have it on a scheduled charge time. I just took it to a nearby supercharger, and got the same message, port turned blue, stayed blue. Drove it home, now 22% remaining. Plugged it in again to the wall charger, lo and behold it’s now charging. I just updated to the latest V11 the night before, I wonder if it’s a software glitch? I suppose I’ll keep the appointment with Tesla, just to have it checked out.

Thanks

No, I don’t have it on a scheduled charge time. I just took it to a nearby supercharger, and got the same message, port turned blue, stayed blue. Drove it home, now 22% remaining. Plugged it in again to the wall charger, lo and behold it’s now charging. I just updated to the latest V11 the night before, I wonder if it’s a software glitch? I suppose I’ll keep the appointment with Tesla, just to have it checked out.

Thanks
That is truly bizarre. BTH outa me.

Reactions: Lindamon
It did not yesterday, as I said in my 2nd post, but when I got home, the wall charger suddenly worked. Drove for a short bit today, and the wall charger worked again, so I suspect a supercharger will work as well, but I should test that.

You may have set the car to charge at a specific time, I.e. delayed start. But that should be pretty obvious with an on screen message, something like “charging will begin at 3:30 AM“ or something similar. It is pretty strange for the car simply not charge without throwing up some kind of error message. Is there a supercharger within range of the car? It is possible for the AC charger in the car to fail, but DC Supercharging works fine.
I believe that a charging schedule is also tied to a location.

Thanks
Hi, I've had the same issue! It happened for the 4th time to me today!! I'm curious what Tesla said about it. The first time it happened to me, the tech on the phone recommended having my car towed to the Service Center since I had very low battery left. I had to do the overnight drop off. Then in the morning they could not replicate it. Just like you, my M3 seems to resolve the issue on it's own if I just leave it parked for several hours. Please let me know if it's happened more than once and if Tesla was able to diagnose.

Here's my recent post about this.

Thanks

Hi, I've had the same issue! It happened for the 4th time to me today!! I'm curious what Tesla said about it. The first time it happened to me, the tech on the phone recommended having my car towed to the Service Center since I had very low battery left. I had to do the overnight drop off. Then in the morning they could not replicate it. Just like you, my M3 seems to resolve the issue on it's own if I just leave it parked for several hours. Please let me know if it's happened more than once and if Tesla was able to diagnose.

Here's my recent post about this.

Thanks
Hi, I had the same experience, they could not duplicate the issue. After that, it did not happen again, though I only had it for another three weeks. While I was there I test drove a new one, and decided to sell mine and buy a new ultra red one. Solved that problem in the most expensive way possible, haha, but I really liked the new one.

Good luck with yours, I hope they figure it out!

Reactions: brkaus