Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wont start after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am developing a hobby of resuscitating dead or misbehaving Teslas in my small sphere of influence and there seems to be three levels of severity of reboots. However I am not an engineer, just a user and and an enthusiast. The first level is the double scroll wheel reboot that seems to reboot the MCU and fixes small issues.

A more severe reboot is located under safety and security and forces the car to "turn off." This seems to have fixed persistent misbehavior that the scroll wheel reboot does not. I think this reboots the whole car. I just fixed a MS that would not drive for its owner today. (I hope this fixes the problem, gulp!)

The most deep reboot that seems to clear caches and misbehavior I learned from this forum is to reset the wheel size of the car. I have done this on my MX once or twice and after resetting from 20" to 22" wheels, forces the whole car to reboot and clear memory caches... and then I set the wheel size back to to correct size. That has fixed a few problems I have had.

I wonder what that does? What do you guys think?

Reactions: KerryOH
FWIW, the first week I had my car it refused to go into drive or reverse. They had to tow it to the SC. At the SC they fixed it in a few minutes. They disconnected the first responder cable, waited a couple of minutes, and reconnected it. The cable is pretty easy to reach, there is an access port on the right side of the frunk. It shows where to cut, but if you a little beyond there is a connection you can disconnect and reconnect.

I am developing a hobby of resuscitating dead or misbehaving Teslas in my small sphere of influence and there seems to be three levels of severity of reboots. However I am not an engineer, just a user and and an enthusiast. The first level is the double scroll wheel reboot that seems to reboot the MCU and fixes small issues.

A more severe reboot is located under safety and security and forces the car to "turn off." This seems to have fixed persistent misbehavior that the scroll wheel reboot does not. I think this reboots the whole car. I just fixed a MS that would not drive for its owner today. (I hope this fixes the problem, gulp!)

The most deep reboot that seems to clear caches and misbehavior I learned from this forum is to reset the wheel size of the car. I have done this on my MX once or twice and after resetting from 20" to 22" wheels, forces the whole car to reboot and clear memory caches... and then I set the wheel size back to to correct size. That has fixed a few problems I have had.

I wonder what that does? What do you guys think?

Thanks, if I run into this again, I'll try some of these!