Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CARB mandates credit card payments for EV charger networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mblakele

FSD Beta (99)
Mar 7, 2016
SF Bay Area
This is the first I’ve heard about this. Is it a good idea? Does it affect Tesla?

Most electric car chargers don't take credit cards. California wants to fix that

The California Air Resources Board, which regulates airborne pollutants, voted in June to require charging companies to install credit card readers and post prices. They’re also required to make stations accessible to all drivers regardless of membership. The air board anticipates the first wave of stations will have to comply in 2022.​

while I understand the intent of the rule/reg, the downside it that it will just cost more for juice. Installing and maintaining card readers out in the elements is not inexpensive. The dust/dirt in the surrounding air creates havoc with the electronic readers, so they have to be cleaned constantly. That means more labor for the installer/owner to have to recoup.

Reactions: mblakele
while I understand the intent of the rule/reg, the downside it that it will just cost more for juice. Installing and maintaining card readers out in the elements is not inexpensive. The dust/dirt in the surrounding air creates havoc with the electronic readers, so they have to be cleaned constantly. That means more labor for the installer/owner to have to recoup.

Also introduces security problems: skimmers are rife on gas pumps in some places. And in five years how many EV owners won’t have a smartphone?

Reactions: brkaus and Big Dog
Don't give them any ideas or Oregon will actually do that. (We already can't re-fuel our own ICE cars for "safety" reasons that the other 48 states in the country have no problem with.)
Yup. Oregon is where I learned that focusing the petro vapors on a small set of the population was viewed as a good thing.

I got yelled at trying to refill my rental on the way to the airport.