Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo box for Model Y hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I need just a bit more storage for road trips. Since I have a hitch, I’m thinking of skipping the roof rack / cargo setup and go with a hitch cargo box (less expensive setup, easier to remove vs roof rack).
Any thoughts? Anyone has experience with such a setup?

Hi,
I need just a bit more storage for road trips. Since I have a hitch, I’m thinking of skipping the roof rack / cargo setup and go with a hitch cargo box (less expensive setup, easier to remove vs roof rack).
I'm interested in this as well. I have a Thule hitch cargo box that I've used with my X3 that I hoped to be able to use with my Y when it arrives but I am nervous about using it with the lower max tongue weight on the Y. The Thule is a great box but it extends out from the car farther than any other box I've seen which adds to my concern.

Reactions: yurmix
There is some discussion as to the maximum vertical weight of the Tesla class II tow hitch is either 120 or 160 pounds. The weight of the cargo box has to be included in this total weight which makes cargo boxes and bike racks with e-bikes difficult to haul. Tongue weight, which is 350 pounds, and vertical weight are two different things. Think of your cargo box acting like a diving board on the back of your car bouncing the extra pressure against the hitch. A trailer does not have that motion.

Reactions: yurmix
I just paid $1300 to add the tow package, thinking it’s better for the lifetime value to add an OEM part over an aftermarket. What a huge mistake.

E trailer sales a class III eco hitch for 1/4 the price which can carry x2 the capacity:

It is better for the life time value. While that hitch might say 350 that doesn’t mean the car should be doing that. It’s entirely possible that tesla is being over cautious

Reactions: EdSt
There is some discussion as to the maximum vertical weight of the Tesla class II tow hitch is either 120 or 160 pounds. The weight of the cargo box has to be included in this total weight which makes cargo boxes and bike racks with e-bikes difficult to haul. Tongue weight, which is 350 pounds, and vertical weight are two different things. Think of your cargo box acting like a diving board on the back of your car bouncing the extra pressure against the hitch. A trailer does not have that motion.
Thanks for this information. I was under the impression that tongue weight and vertical weight are the same thing. It's often described as such if you search for the definition online. But here is a link to Tesla's model Y owner's manual - Towing and Accessories, and it clearly supports your statement.

Installing and Using a Carrier

When using the tow package to carry accessories, the 2" x 2" (5 cm x 5 cm) square hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 160 lbs (72 kg).

Hi,
I have this one from before: Thule Transporter Combi | Thule | United States
I just had the Tesla tow package installed in preparation for a road trip next month and will be using this. I have yet to hook it up though since it's currently connected to my RV, which is in storage.

Reactions: EdSt