Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There should be an app on CarPlay screen which says exit or the brand of a car (you can set it to tesla in autokit advanced settings I think. Anyhow look for a grey button. I stopped using carlinkit / autokit / android device solutions & ended up using hansshow 9” Linux console so don’t recall answers to your other questions as I never got too far with the setup since I didn’t want tons of wires to hide etc.
Yeah I tried that. It just crashes the app for me. I figured it was to return to the car settings (if it were on a regular head unit)

Yeah I tried that. It just crashes the app for me. I figured it was to return to the car settings (if it were on a regular head unit)
Ok I powered up my kindle / carlinkit setup. That gray button did not take me to settings like I thought, it just caused the screen to become solid black and I had to quit & run autokit again. I have upgraded to the latest versions of autokit and kindle OS. Only way I could return to settings was to disconnect the phone from carlinkit dongle (mine is wired) or turn off CarPlay connection from phone. Then autokit returned to the screen where I could select settings. By coincidence, I’m selling the kindle tomorrow to a friend.

Ok everyone! I have my Android 8 plus and a Carlinkit CPC200-CCPA.

It is .... ok.
I need to preface this with the fact that I am running Beta 2 of iOS 16 so it's VERY possible these are problems linked to that. However here are my problems/questions and I wondered whether anyone else had had these issues and been able to solve them?

[*]The quality of the audio from Siri is not good either. Why is this? When dictating audio the Tesla believes that I am on a phone-call. Thinking about it; perhaps this is the source of the problem. Perhaps I should use the iPhone microphone. But would I also have to use the iPhone's speaker?
[/LIST]
On your iPhone’s Bluetooth connection try altering the connection type to car stereo or try speaker or the “other” option.

Didn't make a difference. I'm reading through his thread again.
I do not think anyone was too impressed with the android device, carlinkit, autokit setup in a tesla. Myself and timeshifter ultimately got a 9” linux based hansshow or similar device. I find it to be stress free but does tempt me to get a yoke steering wheel in the future so screen is not behind steering wheel.
The pi based option does interest me but i will wait for a bit to see how it matures.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: KentheJ
I’m starting the Tesla Android project from Gapinski this week. I already have the 2 Raspberry Pis and am waiting for the other hardware. Seems straightforward and uses the existing screen. We’ll see.
Oh yes, do please report back.

I took a trip to Liverpool with CarPlay on an Android tablet and dismantled it by the first stop at Marks and Spencers. It's not worth it Imo. Shame though.
Will wait for better solution.

Just ordered a Pi 4 8GB.

I believe that's correct, however...

The developer is moving quickly and you may be able to do that soon
if he gets this down to 1 raspberry pi and no LTE i will likely give it a shot

also.. its lame we have to pay $10 / month for LTE in the car but the car won't share out the connection.. that would simplify things even more and probably wouldnt even need a cell phone then

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Here it is

Sorry, but I can't find how to get notifications set up with Signal. They have Twitter notifications available, maybe they're not doing Signal anymore. Anyway, if you want to buy a Pi for the normal price you're going to need to be notified when a site gets stock.
I got mine, so now i can share my secret lol. I used that Rpi Locator website then I googled text message notifications for RSS feed(I used Zapier). Set the parameters to Rpi4 and US region then every time it updated that site it texted me ”Rpi Locator“. Don’t remember the Site. FYI I tried the 2 board set up with 4gb and 2gb Rpi 4’s but i would just shoot for an 8gb, the memory bogged down pretty fast.