Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, might be kind of off topic, but is there nothing like TeslAA for carplay with iOS devices? It initiates all the services on the phone and streams to a web client that the Tesla browser accesses.

Pretty cool for doing Android Auto through the browser, and it all happens pretty seamlessly without launching stuff on the phone. it works surprisingly well. I bought it since it's kinda cool, but don't really use it. I was a big proponent of having AA available natively in the infotainment system, but I've realized my use cases don't really need it.

Sorry, might be kind of off topic, but is there nothing like TeslAA for carplay with iOS devices? It initiates all the services on the phone and streams to a web client that the Tesla browser accesses.

Pretty cool for doing Android Auto through the browser, and it all happens pretty seamlessly without launching stuff on the phone. it works surprisingly well. I bought it since it's kinda cool, but don't really use it. I was a big proponent of having AA available natively in the infotainment system, but I've realized my use cases don't really need it.
Not off topic as this thread is titled for Android Auto and CarPlay. Someone upthread mentioned it too, post number 70 on page 4, username @buyleonard

There's a few feedback posts by that poster too. Any updates @buyleonard ?

Reactions: bedoig

Same here. I tried it and I realized that Echo Auto is a far better option. But the app is definitely impressive.

I have an Android phone but it is not connected to a carrier, I can use with on WiFi, etc. Would I be able to try out this app for fun in my garage, or do I really require using its hotspot?

You can probably give it a try. The phone hotspot is required for the car to connect to the phone, but the phone can still be using wifi for it's internet connection as well. Might depend on the specific phone, but in the past I've connected my phone to hotel wifi that required authentication and then turned on the hotspot to connect a chromecast to the hotel TV.

There's always the refund option in the Play Store if you try it out soon enough after hitting buy.

So I've had this CarPlay device for about three weeks now. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the results. It makes it super easy for me to pick different podcasts and audiobooks to listen to while I'm driving. Also can pick up AM radio stations through iHeart Radio. Apple Maps is superior to Tesla's navigation and works well.

I've got it mounted right in front of the cup holders, angled toward me. I can rest my arm on the armrest and work the touchscreen on it from there comfortably. For $250 it's a great solution for Tesla owners who miss having CarPlay.

There is one big downside and one minor one.

The first is getting connected to CarPlay wirelessly when getting in to the car. Sometimes it will connect up automatically. Occasionally I'll need to reboot the unit and in rare cases restart my iPhone. Connecting wireless involves the iPhone connecting to the unit via Bluetooth. Once that connection starts it then hands it off to the unit's WiFi. Often it seems to miss the Bluetooth and ends up connected to the WiFi but it's not wireless CarPlay connected.

As I mentioned earlier, sometimes I can turn off WiFi on the iPhone, go to Bluetooth and connect, then the iPhone will prompt me to turn on WiFi for CarPlay to work, and we're good. I might look into using the Shortcuts feature of the iPhone (i.e. macros) to automate that process.

The other downside, the minor one is providing power to the unit and it staying on too long. To help with that I bought this:

That makes it easy to turn the unit on or off or reboot it. I like doing it that way as I'm worried if I power cycled it by pulling the power pin from the display that it might eventually wear out. And it's easier.

If I've been away from the car for a long time it's fine as the unit will go off. But if I'm gone for a shorter period of time, an hour or so, the unit stays on. Especially a problem at night as the screen stays on and lights up the inside of the car.

I'd like to find a power source that goes on and off with the Tesla screen. Also one that I could place an inline, conveniently placed switch to power cycle the unit manually when needed. If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd appreciate it.

• Informative
Reactions: muddie
AC2BF222-4E0D-4A9A-BD62-44A3643E5DDD_1_105_c.jpeg

Ignore the protractor thing with the magnet, that's been removed. I had used that previously with my phone. I'll try to get some better pictures when it's light outside.

748A6839-EEC4-4EE5-9789-1782C02DDDE1_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: muddie
You might want to periodically remove and check for any damage under that suction mount (I'm assuming that's what it is). I remember a thread from a couple years ago someone had done something similar and some combination of heat in the car and the rubber compound and/or suction damaged the gloss plastic on the storage cover where it was mounted.

Edit: this thread:

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
You have version 2 of the Car link kit display device. Is that working well with apple CarPlay via iOS 15 (the latest as of this writing). I also see there is a version 3 of the display now. Version 3 is thicker. Same resolution.

• Helpful
Well crap! Version 3.0 comes out right after I get 2.0.

Thanks for your post @ElectricAnt54

I was about to come here and post how I was growing weary of this setup. Early on I was pretty excited as it was the best solution I'd found so far for getting CarPlay working in my Tesla. But, lately, and I don't recall when, getting it to connect when I enter the car has become almost impossible.

I believe wireless CarPlay works by first connecting to the device over Bluetooth then gets handed off to the device's WiFi. What I've noticed is that I'll have no wireless CarPlay connection and I'll see that I am in fact connected to the WiFi of the unit. Like it skips the Bluetooth step so it's not fully established.

I'm going to take a look at this 3.0 unit. Maybe that's what I need since I'm on a new iPhone with iOS 15.

I received my version 2 unit a few days ago. While I initially got CarPlay to connect wirelessly and play through my Tesla speakers, I can't get it to do hardly anything now.

I am connected to the Carlink unit with my iPhone X (iOs 15.2) Bluetooth, but whenever I choose wireless CarPlay, I get this annoying screen.
I can get the Carlink unit to use CarPlay if I connect my phone to it with a cable, but it will not play audio through my Tesla's speakers.

I have wifi turned on with the default network link, Waylink, but when I reach for it on my phone, it does not detect the network. I tried another phone as well, but it could not find the Waylink device during its search.

Any suggestions?

From that screen I can tell that your Bluetooth connection is established with the unit. When you get a successful connection you'll see that Bluetooth icon the followed by the green WiFi icon and a successful CarPlay link. I've found that doing a soft or hard WiFi disable on the phone while the unit is booting will help.

May be obvious, but I've done this... make sure your source is Phone on the Tesla screen. Not, Spotify, Streaming, Radio or whatever.

I normally just play - pause - play with the steering wheel control to route audio to the Tesla. First phone call I need to select the Tesla Bluetooth connection from the phone. But for the rest of that trip it stays connected.

I have wifi turned on with the default network link, Waylink
What is Waylink? Is that the name of the WiFi network that the unit is putting out? Mine is like Carlinkit0235xx.

From that screen I can tell that your Bluetooth connection is established with the unit. When you get a successful connection you'll see that Bluetooth icon the followed by the green WiFi icon and a successful CarPlay link. I've found that doing a soft or hard WiFi disable on the phone while the unit is booting will help.

May be obvious, but I've done this... make sure your source is Phone on the Tesla screen. Not, Spotify, Streaming, Radio or whatever.

I normally just play - pause - play with the steering wheel control to route audio to the Tesla. First phone call I need to select the Tesla Bluetooth connection from the phone. But for the rest of that trip it stays connected.

What is Waylink? Is that the name of the WiFi network that the unit is putting out? Mine is like Carlinkit0235xx.
Waylink is the wifi network's name on my unit. It cannot be edited, like the password, which you can change from 88888888 if you want.

I do not get the green wifi icon, nor can I even detect the unit's Waylink network with my phone or computer. I'll try the hard wifi reset on my phone tomorrow. Thanks!

I'll try the hard wifi reset on my phone tomorrow
To be clear, I'm not sure I'd call what I was doing a hard WiFi reset. The more severe setting is to go to Settings then WiFi and switch it off. Sometimes I would do that then manually connect the Bluetooth, I'd then get a prompt to turn on WiFi for CarPlay and it'd connect.

The other method was to do a soft turn off. Swiped down from top right for control center, tap the WiFi icon and it turns from blue to white.

Interesting that we both have the v 2.0 unit but completely different WiFi names.

Thanks, timeshifter. I got it connected. The missing piece was that I did not connect my iPhone to the device's network, Waylink on mine. Once I did that, Carplay comes up.

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

I was totally stumped on getting Spotify audio to play on the Tesla speakers, but your tip on pressing the left steering wheel knob to pause and then play music starts it up after I make a volume change. Thanks again.

So, I feel as if I am 80% there. Siri takes my question, but the audio response does not play over the unit or car's speakers. I can live with that, but I don't get audio directions when using Google maps. When I go to the GM settings to adjust the volume, it just displays this screen and adjusting the volume does nothing. Did anyone else get audio directions from Google maps to work?

IMG_2556.jpg

I mounted mine just below the Tesla display with the factory mount. To get enough rotation on the ball joint, I removed the plastic locking knob which restricted rotation and replaced it with a hose clamp, which can't be seen. I was pretty happy with the placement as it allows me to still use the two phone charging pads behind it, but when I put my right hand on the steering wheel at the 9 o'clock position, it blocks part of the left display, so I'll need to figure out something to move it more to the right.

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2566.jpeg
    IMG_2566.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 64
If you make a phone call after you’re connected and pick the Tesla audio from the iPhone screen I think you may solve some of the other audio issues.

Interesting mounting location. I may have to try that.

Did you mean right hand at 3 o’clock rather than 9 o’clock? Having trouble imagining that.

If you make a phone call after you’re connected and pick the Tesla audio from the iPhone screen I think you may solve some of the other audio issues.

Interesting mounting location. I may have to try that.

Did you mean right hand at 3 o’clock rather than 9 o’clock? Having trouble imagining that.
I'll try that, thanks.

I am 3D printing a part that I hope will get the unit centered directly below the Tesla display. I'll keep folks posted.

Yes, 3 o'clock. DOH!, darn dyslexia.

I am 3D printing a part that I hope will get the unit centered directly below the Tesla display. I'll keep folks posted.
Interesting. I bought a 3D printer last Amazon Prime Day thinking I might use it for this ongoing project, but haven't taken it out of the box yet.

If we both have the 2.0 unit then I'm betting you're on a newer update than I am since our WiFi names are so different. Is your Bluetooth name like it shows on that screen, something like "Car*****"?