Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent this earlier to another TMC member:

"I did this sometime ago so not sure if I will miss any detail step but in general steps - With the router off - Turn router mode switch to "Shared ETH". Connect the USB Modem on the USB port. Connect the RPI Tesla Android ethernet port to the ethernet port on the router (cat5 or cat6 cable will either work). Turn Router on. Connect to the router through WiFi using your web browser from your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc...) - there are two WiFi available networks you can choose to connect - both will work for configuring the router. Once connected to the router WiFi, login to the router through browser using address 192.168.0.1. Once logged in the router click on the "Operation Mode" tab and set the router as "3G/4G Router" and then "Save". Then click on the "Network" tab, make sure "Set the Dial Number, APN, Username and Password manually" is unchecked - if it is checked then uncheck it, and set Location "USA", and Mobile ISP "T-Mobile" (if you are using T-Mobile or any T-Mobile sub-vendor such as Tello, if not you will need to test for what works for your case) , the ISP details will be set automatically leave the APN as "epc.tmobile.com", set "Connection Mode" to "Always On", Set "Authentication Type" to "Auto" the click save. After successful save unplug power from router then re-plug power. Wait and it should start working. Make sure the blue light is not blinking , the first time you do this it takes a few minutes to get a solid usb modem blue light but the next time is fast. Login to Tesla Android, go to web browser and go to a "speed test" on a speed test web site of your choice."
My tp-link TP-Link AC750 (TL-WR902AC) router was set to factory defaults. My pi Ethernet setup was default, never had to alter it. I use Tello data provider Which uses t-mobile. I Followed the instructions & it worked without issue. 🙏

Last edited:
I sent this earlier to another TMC member:

"I did this sometime ago so not sure if I will miss any detail step but in general steps - With the router off - Turn router mode switch to "Shared ETH". Connect the USB Modem on the USB port. Connect the RPI Tesla Android ethernet port to the ethernet port on the router (cat5 or cat6 cable will either work). Turn Router on. Connect to the router through WiFi using your web browser from your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc...) - there are two WiFi available networks you can choose to connect - both will work for configuring the router. Once connected to the router WiFi, login to the router through browser using address 192.168.0.1. Once logged in the router click on the "Operation Mode" tab and set the router as "3G/4G Router" and then "Save". Then click on the "Network" tab, make sure "Set the Dial Number, APN, Username and Password manually" is unchecked - if it is checked then uncheck it, and set Location "USA", and Mobile ISP "T-Mobile" (if you are using T-Mobile or any T-Mobile sub-vendor such as Tello, if not you will need to test for what works for your case) , the ISP details will be set automatically leave the APN as "epc.tmobile.com", set "Connection Mode" to "Always On", Set "Authentication Type" to "Auto" the click save. After successful save unplug power from router then re-plug power. Wait and it should start working. Make sure the blue light is not blinking , the first time you do this it takes a few minutes to get a solid usb modem blue light but the next time is fast. Login to Tesla Android, go to web browser and go to a "speed test" on a speed test web site of your choice."
Thank you however this is different to mine, on the mode switchit only has 3g/4g, WISP & AP if I connect it to any other device via ethernet it works fine, it just doesn't work with the PI as Tesla Android, also my light is flashing blue but is working absolutely fine just not with the PI?

My tp-link router was set to factory defaults. My pi Ethernet setup was default, never had to alter it. I use Tello data provider Which uses t-mobile. I Followed the instructions & it worked without issue. 🙏
The Pi worked fine with the Raspberry system but just doesn't with the Tesla android, I will default the router again, just seems that the PI is not accepting the ethernet even though the yellow and green lights are lit.

Thank you however this is different to mine, on the mode switchit only has 3g/4g, WISP & AP if I connect it to any other device via ethernet it works fine, it just doesn't work with the PI as Tesla Android, also my light is flashing blue but is working absolutely fine just not with the PI?
@M3P75 , 😢 you have a different tp-link router than us. Setup instructions might be different.
We have TP-Link AC750 (TL-WR902AC) which has different mode switches on exterior of router.

Perhaps in the not so distant future there will be no need for external router in order to make USA Alcatel available to pi. I really did not need the functionality to be honest. I have been using the setup without lte for months. I just wanted to see what the complete experience would be like. I think having the lte modem is more useful if you often drive long distances and want to use CarPlay gui for music & podcasts,etc but have complete tesla nav experience because of supercharger info and getting warnings about supercharger availability changing.

@M3P75 , 😢 you have a different tp-link router than us. Setup instructions might be different.
We have TP-Link AC750 (TL-WR902AC) which has different mode switches on exterior of router.
Yes it is a different model number, after defaulting the router it is all working, stlll have flashing blue light but full speed connection so not sure why it’s flashing but working so it can flash away 😂 thanks for your help just need to sort out the vocals from Waze now as I can hardly hear them and it should it lower the music?

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Yes it is a different model number, after defaulting the router it is all working, stlll have flashing blue light but full speed connection so not sure why it’s flashing but working so it can flash away 😂 thanks for your help just need to sort out the vocals from Waze now as I can hardly hear them and it should it lower the music?
i do not use waze regularly. I know to make waze audio heard when CarPlay is running I have to start my trip from phone and then launch CarPlay app. carlinkit box has some quirks. For example Siri voice in nav will stop music and start music when done speaking but for podcasts it stops the audio and you need to resume via clicking in left steering wheel ball, or CarPlay gui or tesla Bluetooth audio source gui. One way around this is to set Apple Maps nav setting to not pause audio. then Siri talks over the audio and I do not notice audio volume decreasing. Waze might have similar issues.
To set Siri volume, if I change stereo volume while Siri voice is talking , it will increase / decrease such Siri audio. I ask Siri to tell me a joke which produces enough audio for me to have time to set volume. Perhaps waze voice audio level can be affected in similar manner.
I’ve not noticed music audio decreasing in volume When nav voice speaks. perhaps carlinkit / autokit software doesn’t support it or my phone settings are incorrect. I vaguely remember such behavior years ago in my 2013 volt (Bluetooth only) and older iOS. prrhaps this behavior exists when just using phone & tesla Bluetooth (no CarPlay).
I know my 9” linux based hansshow display console has slightly better behavior than carlinkit / autokit. For example, it properly pauses/starts podcast audio when Siri gives nav instructions. I might try that system this weekend to see if it lowers volume when nav instructions are spoken via Apple Maps or waze.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3P75
Over the years I’ve had lots of retrofit CarPlay interfaces and work arounds, from memory every single one has had audio issues when inter grating with the OEM system so I shouldn’t be surprised the Tesla is any different

Today I’m driving around using autokit 2022.08.18.1707 (newest only available via in app update) & box 2022.04.25.1317 on tesla-android 2022.44.2 . I am using wireless CarPlay. Carlinkit CPC200-CCPA. This was problematic combo on older versions of tesla-android

Last edited:
Today I’m driving around using autokit 2022.08.18.1707 (newest only available via in app update) & box 2022.04.25.1317 on tesla-android 2022.44.2 . I am using wireless CarPlay. Carlinkit CPC200-CCPA. This was problematic combo on older versions of tesla-android
Welp, worked well. No CarPlay gui freezing up like in older Tesla-android releases with this combo. Autokit 2022.08.18.1707 has differences from 2022.04.29.1750 which comes with tesla-android 2022.44.2 .

1) Music no longer gets stopped and started even when io maps is set to pause/start audio for spoken nav words. Music always plays and nav audio is overlayed. In the version which comes with tesla-android 2022.44.2 the iOS setting was obeyed and music stopped and started but podcast audio was always stopped.A step in the wrong direction. Nothing we can do as autokit is not open source & my past reports to carlinkit about autokit bugs just goes no where. They ask for my carlinkit order number in an attempt to say I'm not a customer and I get no support...but I give them my order number since I did buy from them. Then I never hear back from them.

2) In this latest version of autokit, podcast audio is still stopped and not started if the option for pausing audio for spoken nav words in active.

My advice when using autokit 2022.08.18.1707 & carlinkit box firmware 2022.04.25.1317:

1) In maps app settings, disable pause audio for spoken nav words.

Tips
1) Siri audio makes music and pod cast audio stop & not start. For example if you use "hey Siri". Push the right steering wheel scroll button inwards to resume your audio.

I think I'll go through my versions of autokit to see if I find a version which works better. At least 2022.04.29.1750 had ability for music to stop/start for nav spoken audio. Perhaps older versions work better. Sometimes, older ain't worse. :)

I ordered one from them let's see what's happened and they are looking for someone to review their product and sending free item this week,so if someone able to make good review video in YouTube or social media and own a Tesla,maybe they can contact them for a try,I will make one after it works properly as advertised but I am not good at social :D
@will7171 If you make a review of the device from ”in car electronics” please start a new thread. This thread is about the open source tesla-android project as stated in the thread title, “CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android”
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: timeshifter
Is there anyway to get the car to auto connect to the Raspberry Pi WiFi when it's available? I seem to have to do it manually.
My car auto connects to tesla-android Wi-Fi if I am not in range of my home Wi-Fi. Perhaps car’s preferred Wi-Fi connection order is based on order networks were created 🤷‍♂️. I also set autokit to start automatically via the preferences. For me, I push the browser button after about 28 seconds after leaving home & CarPlay interface is loaded & ready for me.

My car auto connects to tesla-android Wi-Fi if I am not in range of my home Wi-Fi. Perhaps car’s preferred Wi-Fi connection order is based on order networks were created 🤷‍♂️. I also set autokit to start automatically via the preferences. For me, I push the browser button after about 28 seconds after leaving home & CarPlay interface is loaded & ready for me.
Also I get an audio cue when the system is ready. My Bluetooth source’s audio is automatically played/resumed. Ps-boot times might be less than 28 seconds for many people. Right now I am using my “test” pie setup which has an old slower rated microSD than my “production” pi.
This is achieved via autokit settings
Automatic Start (on)
Connection Mode (automatic)
Advanced settings menu
Audio channel (beta) set to Bluetooth
Auto play music (on)

Last edited:
Reactions: reserves
I have a strange problem with the setup. Seems like when I power the raspberry from my laptop it runs good but when I move it to the car it is less responsive and more choppy no matter if I use the car's usb or 3.1 amp socket adapter. Tried overcloking it became worse so currently it is running on stock settings .. (model 3)

I have a strange problem with the setup. Seems like when I power the raspberry from my laptop it runs good but when I move it to the car it is less responsive and more choppy no matter if I use the car's usb or 3.1 amp socket adapter. Tried overcloking it became worse so currently it is running on stock settings .. (model 3)
I recall one thread where it was thought some builds of model 3 might have Wi-Fi antenna in a place which makes it harder for signals to reach. I’ll try to locate that thread. Can’t recall if it was here or on project’s GitHub discussion area.

Tesla firmware 2022.28.x & below have some browser issues which affect performance. Newer firmware corrects the issues.

Be sure you are using tesla-android 2022.44.2 or newer.

If your pi still has geekworm module attached, remove it.

Post a picture of your pi so we can see the type of case. It is suggested to use an open type case so signals can pass from pi to tesla more easily. Metal cases are known to be problematic. I use fairly open designs.

Try putting pi on passenger seat as a test to see if perforce is better than under armrest.

Might be good to post again on the GitHub discussion forum within the issue tracker repository & include case photo, tesla firmware version, Tesla-android version, year / estimated date your model 3 was made. The more info the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: martinst
I would encourage anyone reading this thread to take whatever will7171 says with a grain of salt. He registered 4 days ago and only has three posts so far, two of them included links to the knock-off device and the third was about it too.

Plus, the link he posted is not from carlinkit official site. Looks like a 3rd party rebrand or knock off of the actual carlinkit device. They have an office in DE in the US. But if you look it up you'll see it's a big multi-tenant office building that will lease 100 sq ft of space for $138 / month.

In fact, I'm new to this forum, I just happened to read this post after ordering a kit from www.incarelectronic.com, so I guess we have better options than Raspberry Pi because it's simple device and The cost is lower. Maybe someone will also be interested, which is why I shared it,Sorry for posting a few times because I didn't realize I had success with my previous post so I had to do it again.
I just found out that carlinkit is not the designer of this device but one of the resellers but they are just famous in the market so it's hard to say it's a knockoff of carlinkit you will see many different shapes in the market soon, but all of these are carlinkit knockoffs? I doubt if carlinkit is like other brands, they may just design the look and then market it,this explain why all brands released this dongles in almost same time.
Yes, I checked that address, but I must say it's legit, and if I can get what I ordered and prove it's not a scam, I am ok with it. We buy what we need at the right offer, but not necessarily all from the manufacturer or designer,dosen't it?
I'm also a fan of carlinkit, from very beginning I bought different version of their dongles, the first one is for an android car audio system, and later found out that it's no different from the others(I mean the good quality one), just the shape is different, so I also recommend buying from other brands if they get good offer.
Hi all let’s stay on topic . Welcome to the forum & hope you continue to enjoy this thread which is about the open source tesla-android project which puts apple CarPlay, android auto & more into the tesla center screen. Home - Tesla Android Project