Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so even with the RPi setup, you're still at the mercy of the carplay dongle hardware and software for the functionality of carplay/android auto? I'm sure wifi and other processing might be improved with the setup, but from what you're saying, it seems like that's the main choke point/limitation.

so even with the RPi setup, you're still at the mercy of the carplay dongle hardware and software for the functionality of carplay/android auto? I'm sure wifi and other processing might be improved with the setup, but from what you're saying, it seems like that's the main choke point/limitation.
For android auto you do not need the carlinkit dongle. There is head unit reloaded android os app and TA dev is working with a few people to make and app.

Apple requires special hardware which is why you need the dongle for CarPlay. the carlinkit cpc200-ccpa dongle really is not that bad considering I doubt it is officially sanctioned by Apple. Many people use it with a good experience. people with good experiences are less vocal on these forums because they have no problems. People experiencing problems (tesla vehicle problems for example) are more likely to post their issues.

Last edited:
For android auto you do not need the carlinkit dongle. There is head unit reloaded android os app and TA dev is working with a few people to make and app.

Apple requires special hardware which is why you need the dongle for CarPlay. the carlinkit cpc200-ccpa dongle really is not that bad considering I doubt it is officially sanctioned by Apple. Many people use it with a good experience. people with good experiences are less vocal on these forums because they have no problems. People experiencing problems (tesla vehicle problems for example) are more likely to post their issues.
can you list the versions of box and autokit you use?

I recently bought a cpc200-ccpa to see if it performs better than the cpc200-autokit I have been using, but it seems worse and so I returned it. And I am not updating my cpc200-autokit anymore because I had a few months back learned that newer versions perform worse. I may still have to get a ccpa one again soon as I fear my autokit one is dying.

can you list the versions of box and autokit you use?

I recently bought a cpc200-ccpa to see if it performs better than the cpc200-autokit I have been using, but it seems worse and so I returned it. And I am not updating my cpc200-autokit anymore because I had a few months back learned that newer versions perform worse. I may still have to get a ccpa one again soon as I fear my autokit one is dying.
In my raspberry pi 4B I have:
Autokit 2023.03.17.0927
Box firmware 2022.11.19.1218

Although there are newer autokit & box firmware versions, they’re not being offered to me. Perhaps my hardware is not compatible.
In 2 weeks my premade tesla android bundle should arrive from the developer. It will have a newer carlinkit dongle with 2023.x firmware . Remind me & I’ll report my experience.

Reactions: Yipsan
@ElectricAnt54 -- in another thread you stated "Some of the other browser based methodologies support wired CarPlay. Message me if that feature is important enough for you to try a second method & I’ll fill you in on the details. I like wired CarPlay for longer distance trips." What are those wired features? Tried to message you but TMC isn't giving me any options to send you a PM.

@ElectricAnt54 -- in another thread you stated "Some of the other browser based methodologies support wired CarPlay. Message me if that feature is important enough for you to try a second method & I’ll fill you in on the details. I like wired CarPlay for longer distance trips." What are those wired features? Tried to message you but TMC isn't giving me any options to send you a PM.
Tesla Android is the only center screen (browser) based solution I know of which offers wired and wireless CarPlay. The others offer wireless carplay only. Via some settings you can remove Bluetooth from the audio pipeline so there is no extra lossy compression. Using that setup makes it hard to receive and make phone calls though. When using Bluetooth, there is no issue making / receiving calls.

Also , tesla android is more than CarPlay, it is a mini computer running Android os. jFor a definite high quality audio experience you can install Apple Music android os app. Download your favorite music in lossless codec or stream it. The tesla android system would stream the audio to Tesla. Rwoser via wifi at 44kjz using pcm codec

Tesla Android 2023.38.1 released!!

Got questions? Ask in the Reddit community or Slack community. Personally I like Reddit since the slack space lacks searching far back in time due to being a free setup.

Performance improvements
Vulkan Backend for SKIA/HWUI
Version 2023.38.1 adds the Vulkan Backend support for the system interface drawing. It is still considered experimental and can be enabled in the settings.

Local OTA Updates
Usability improvements
You can now install OTA updates from external storage and save your data package. The builds are available on GitHub in the Tesla Android organisation (android-raspberry-pi-ota, android-compute-module-4-ota).

Offline mode
Stability improvements
Offline mode has been improved in version 2023.38.1 and it will no longer interfere with the Tesla App / vehicle telemetry collection (Teslascope, TeslaFi, TeslaMate etc) when internet is accessible.

Device Settings
Usability improvements
You can now check if the LTE modem and CarPlay module is properly detected by the system.

Browser Audio
Stability improvements
Fixed an issue with disabling browser audio in the settings.

Virtual Display
Stability improvements
Miscellaneous bugfixes aimed at improving display stability.

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
Tesla Android 2023.45.1 update just went live

IMPORTANT: Access Tesla Android web app via non SSL URL, http://device.teslaandroid.com before performing the update. https:// is broken until performing the update.

Grab the over the air (OTA) update. OTA update instructions can be found here.

What's new:
- renewed SSL certificate (access the app via http before performing the update, the old certificate expired yesterday)

- fixed offline mode for cars that run Tesla vehicle firmware 2023.38

- Android 13 security updates

Reactions: Daekwan
So I repurposed my Pi4 to give this a try and wasn't able to get it to work. Kinda confused since I have an Android phone, i thought i didn't need anything else besides the Pi.

Based on the Raspberry Pi
Got a Raspberry Pi 4? You're all set. Experience Tesla Android's full potential without spending extra.
But i guess i still the carlink dongle? It just sat there with the Plug in Device prompt and nothing happened. I paired my phone to the TA bluetooth but still no go.

Also since this is connected to the car USB port, doesn't the constant non- graceful shutdowns when the car goes to sleep eventually corrupt the SD install?

So I repurposed my Pi4 to give this a try and wasn't able to get it to work. Kinda confused since I have an Android phone, i thought i didn't need anything else besides the Pi.

But i guess i still the carlink dongle? It just sat there with the Plug in Device prompt and nothing happened. I paired my phone to the TA bluetooth but still no go.

Also since this is connected to the car USB port, doesn't the constant non- graceful shutdowns when the car goes to sleep eventually corrupt the SD install?
Yes you need carlinkit CPC200-CCPA dongle if you want to use CarPlay.

I’d get a cigarette lighter 12V usb adapter to ensure proper power. Some 2022 models have weaker usb power output.

Non graceful shut down has never been a problem. Been about 2 years now. However, you can do graceful shutdown. Swipe up and you’ll see the shutdown button. I wait 5 seconds after shutdown since I see disk activity. I rarely do graceful shutdown.

Here is a rpi-4B guide and is CarPlay centric. Two builds are highlighted too.