Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have FSD. 2022 MYP.

Ok, like I mentioned before I do not believe that the .10 makes any difference for WiFi and Browser functionality.

Not surprising but interesting that your MYP 2022 behaves differently than timeshifter MYP 2021. I thought that you previously mentioned that your power did not go off when you closed the door but when the car turned off that was a different timing?

No, exiting the vehicle, closing the door is how I turn off the car. That conversation was about the T2C powering off. My point there was the T2C powers off but if I try to connect to the car remotely it wakes the car and the T2C activates. I know this because I can connect to the T2C via BT during the period the car is awake.

No, exiting the vehicle, closing the door is how I turn off the car. That conversation was about the T2C powering off. My point there was the T2C powers off but if I try to connect to the car remotely it wakes the car and the T2C activates. I know this because I can connect to the T2C via BT during the period the car is awake.

Ok, understood, thanks. My model S behaves differently and it does not turn on the T2C when I remotely connect to the car.

I’m sure you can find someone to buy the 9” linux hansshow console display and spend the $76 dollars for the T2C.
I like using my Hansshow display for the gauge cluster aspect. When I show my Tesla to friends who are interested in buying a Tesla, the display makes the idea of buying a Tesla easier for them to consider knowing there are options to put some traditional info in front of your eyes again...I know..I know...but some people resist change & at least knowing it is a possibility to add later makes it easier for them. But more importantly, it ws a bit of a chore to remove various parts trim to install the cables. Not sure I am so eager to take everything apart just yet....lol. But at least second time around I know more tips n tricks. Perhaps next year I'll feel up to it.
Sure I can easily afford $76 but mentally my attitude is "no more $$ spent on CarPlay"....ok I still donate to Mike's coffee fund monthly...lol.

Reactions: jerome8283
They already have a Tesla version. I owe one. It can be purchased on Amazon. It works well for me but it’s not as flexible as the Tesla-Android custom solution.

Question for ya.... so are you using the T2C or a raspberry pi ? What I'm trying to determine is what would be the better route to take if I'm just trying to use carplay? I have a raspberry pi 4 and was planning on using that for the tesla-android route, but curious if the T2C would be an easier option? Are both options just as fluid when navigating carplay? is one faster than the other? Any other opinions you can add?

Thanks!

Following the feedback from jerome8283 I got a T2C and updated it to the latest firmware to test it and I have to say that it works pretty well. Here are my impressions so far - It is smaller than a RPi4, it only consumes 3W and will work on any USB version for power (it works on 5V 1A power sources), with the latest firmware version it can run on 4G LTE or Bluetooth hotspot (so you do not need a SIM card or pay carrier fees) - this makes it fully wireless (no need for any cables besides the power cable for the T2C) with internet access and without having to pay fees, it has been stable after 3 hours of continuous driving, from turning on to webpage access is 50 sec (same experience as jerome8283), access/use is fluid without jerkiness, image quality is fine, sound quality is fine, normally it cots $99 on amazon but now it is on sale for $76. The only con so far is that you need to learn how to set it up since there has been many firmware updates that have changed the way to configure the device and the documentation is outdated. I had to find a couple of different sources to figure out how to configure the way I wanted.

@jerome8283 since you have had the T2C for a longer time what has been your full impressions and pros and cons so far.

@EMEV how have you liked it so far? As mentioned above, trying to figure which option I'd wanna go with, which would be easiest, which is best, etc.

Last edited:
Just noticed another product on Amazon:

I used a "Road Top" Carplay module last year to put Carplay in a friend's Audi, it was an excellent piece of kit and is still working well. Not sure whether this new Tesla solution is better / worse / different to the T2C, just putting it out there.

I'm sticking with the Pi-based solution for now because I like the idea of supporting an independent, open-source project. Just need to get my car back from the shop so I can actually try it out!

Question for ya.... so are you using the T2C or a raspberry pi ? What I'm trying to determine is what would be the better route to take if I'm just trying to use carplay? I have a raspberry pi 4 and was planning on using that for the tesla-android route, but curious if the T2C would be an easier option? Are both options just as fluid when navigating carplay? is one faster than the other? Any other opinions you can add?

Thanks!

@EMEV how have you liked it so far? As mentioned above, trying to figure which option I'd wanna go with, which would be easiest, which is best, etc.
Since you already have raspberry pi 4B, I’d use it with the recommended carlinkit adapter mentioned on project website. Why? You will have wired and wireless CarPlay option. All the other solutions are wireless only. I find wired CarPlay very handy on road trips since it charges up the phone and is one less wireless tech running for long periods of time, perhaps more stable. Wireless CarPlay can drop connection after many hours of continuous usage or not. It dropped connection on me yesterday during 4 hour drive. No big deal, it auto reconnected after 20 seconds.
automatically. This is common with carlinkit dongles.
Remember to install the last of the 2022 updates and not the latest 2023 as it is a bit buggy now. The main annoying bug has been corrected in beta code that is not released yet.

• Love
Reactions: SkunkApe
I have both. The response from @ElectricAnt54 sums it up pretty well in terms of the different platforms. I would add, the T2C requires less technical hands on but you get what you get. The Tesla-Android is beta and being improved based on your feedback. I still have my pi 4B and intend to continue following the project, apply updates and test, just because I like this kind of stuff. 😉

Reactions: SkunkApe
Since you already have raspberry pi 4B, I’d use it with the recommended carlinkit adapter mentioned on project website. Why? You will have wired and wireless CarPlay option. All the other solutions are wireless only. I find wired CarPlay very handy on road trips since it charges up the phone and is one less wireless tech running for long periods of time, perhaps more stable. Wireless CarPlay can drop connection after many hours of continuous usage or not. It dropped connection on me yesterday during 4 hour drive. No big deal, it auto reconnected after 20 seconds.
automatically. This is common with carlinkit dongles.
Remember to install the last of the 2022 updates and not the latest 2023 as it is a bit buggy now. The main annoying bug has been corrected in beta code that is not released yet.
I have both. The response from @ElectricAnt54 sums it up pretty well in terms of the different platforms. I would add, the T2C requires less technical hands on but you get what you get. The Tesla-Android is beta and being improved based on your feedback. I still have my pi 4B and intend to continue following the project, apply updates and test, just because I like this kind of stuff. 😉

Thanks guys!

Thanks!

In my opinion, for Carplay usage the T2C has worked well so far, better than the Tesla Android in all aspects. If you only want Carplay (and Adroid Auto) for your Tesla then T2C is a better option for me. It is a pitty since in the beginning I really liked the work that Mike Gapinski did with Tesla Android and I like to support open source software. Mike is also a great guy that provides good support. Unfortunately, for Carplay the differences between the two options including cost (given the RPi4 cost) is starting to get wider.

If you want more than Carplay then the Tesla Android project is adding other features such as hardware accelerated video playing and I am sure Mike will add other features also. So if you want a device for more than Carplay then Tesla Android is a better option.

Last edited:
Just noticed another product on Amazon:

I used a "Road Top" Carplay module last year to put Carplay in a friend's Audi, it was an excellent piece of kit and is still working well. Not sure whether this new Tesla solution is better / worse / different to the T2C, just putting it out there.

I'm sticking with the Pi-based solution for now because I like the idea of supporting an independent, open-source project. Just need to get my car back from the shop so I can actually try it out!

Thank you. Good to know that there are other options out there, consumers are always better of when there is market competition and multiple choices.

I also would love to only use Tesla Android but unfortunately for Carplay usage it is not working as well as T2C.