Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally power off via an on/off switch when I leave the car. What I did was power on, leave it on and left the car. I gave it enough time where I no longer saw the T2C connected to my phone. When I jumped back in the car I was connected to my home Wi-Fi and the Tesla would not automatically switch to the T2C even though I could see the Wi-Fi connection. I blocked my Tesla from connecting to my home network and repeated the same steps. When I got to the car it was connected to LTE instead of my home Wi-Fi and it automatically switched to the T2C and the CarPlay screen appeared in 49-52 secs.

Thank you for checking. My Tesla Android is connected to my Tesla in a way that the power is shut off every time I close the door and leave the car. I prefer this way so there is one less item draining the power from the Tesla. So every time I enter the car the Tesla Android has to start a power up cycle. I would install any device including this T2C device the same way. In this situation, in your case you can shut it off and turn it on again with your on/off switch - what is the difference between the T2C and the Tesla Android for the timing to fully power up and have the web page available? Thank you again for checking.

I assumed if I leave the T2C powered on and leave the car it does power off since the car shuts down, is that not the case? I got the power on/off switch because I noticed when I did various remote management of the vehicle it would wake the car and the T2C and connect to it .

How did you configure the Tesla Android to shut off every time you close the door and leave the car?

To fully power up the T2C and have CarPlay available it takes 49-52 secs, if I’m not connected to my home wifi. Normally I just power on manually after pulling away from my home. It’s not the best experience but I get CarPlay ;)

I assumed if I leave the T2C powered on and leave the car it does power off since the car shuts down, is that not the case? I got the power on/off switch because I noticed when I did various remote management of the vehicle it would wake the car and the T2C and connect to it .

How did you configure the Tesla Android to shut off every time you close the door and leave the car?

To fully power up the T2C and have CarPlay available it takes 49-52 secs, if I’m not connected to my home wifi. Normally I just power on manually after pulling away from my home. It’s not the best experience but I get CarPlay ;)

OK, thank you, I misunderstood your previous post. I have my Tesla Android connected to the 12V power outlet through an adapter. My Tesla shut off the 12V power outlet off when I leave the car and shut the door. When I come back and open the door it turns the 12V power outlet back on - so it works exactly as I want it to.

So it seems that the T2C is at least twice as fast to have the web page available than the Tesla Android. From what I remember you said it took 2:20 for your Tesla Android to get the web page up once it turn on - which is similar to what I am clocking on mine. Is that correct?

Reactions: jerome8283
My Tesla shut off the 12V power outlet off when I leave the car and shut the door. When I come back and open the door it turns the 12V power outlet back on - so it works exactly as I want it to.
Could you please be more specific? My Model Y is an early 2021 build with the piano black console. I power the Pi from the 12V cigarette lighter plug under the armrest. I'm 99% sure that stays on almost all the time. I've got an on / off plug for mine.

I would love it if mine would power on and off with the door open and close.

Michal is tweeting about 2023.5.2 being done. I don't see it anywhere to download. Checked his page and Reddit. He also mentioned a 2023.4.3 the other day but the only download I can find is 2023.4.2 - which is still buggy for me, crashes browser, so I'm using the latest 2022 build which works fine.

Could you please be more specific? My Model Y is an early 2021 build with the piano black console. I power the Pi from the 12V cigarette lighter plug under the armrest. I'm 99% sure that stays on almost all the time. I've got an on / off plug for mine.

My Tesla is a Model S 2022. I also power from the 12V cigarette lighter plug under the armrest and the normal behavior is for it to turn on and off with the door open and close.

I thought it shutdown when the car does. I thought connecting to the car remotely via your phone, apply OTA update or charging wakes the car and the 12v plug becomes activate.

I thought it shutdown when the car does. I thought connecting to the car remotely via your phone, apply OTA update or charging wakes the car and the 12v plug becomes activate.

My Tesla Model S 2022 turns off when I close the door and it does not come on when I connect to the car remotely (I have specifically tested these scenarios). I have not noticed if it comes on when OTA updates or charging but for me it will not matter anyway since my concern is battery drainage when the battery is low and I only do OTA updates when the car is appropriately charged. Also, my car does not do OTA updates every day or every week, probably once a month (at least not for me) - when it is charging it would not matter if it comes on given my concern is mitigated by the charging. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have BT connections on my phone for the car Itself (Tesla) and T2C that are not accessible when I close the door and walk away. They become active if I remotely connect to the car. I have a 2022 MYP.

Different Tesla models, the same model with different production dates, or even sometimes the same Tesla model and production date with different software versions may differ from how they behave.

Last edited:
I’m not totally surprised yours may behave differently but this would not likely be the case with my 2022 MY and @timeshifter 2021. I tested this too which is why I also have an on/off switch.

I guess the question I have…given the fact mine shuts off when the car does, what problems might I experience leaving the Tesla-Android or T2C on. I have not tested this fully and just assumed it might create problems.

I’m not totally surprised yours may behave differently but this would not likely be the case with my 2022 MY and @timeshifter 2021. I tested this too which is why I also have an on/off switch.

I guess the question I have…given the fact mine shuts off when the car does, what problems might I experience leaving the Tesla-Android or T2C on. I have not tested this fully and just assumed it might create problems.

There are probably more concerns but the the problems that I can foresee are - battery drainage (my main concern), potential/accidental download of OTA updates through the paid and slower connection (assuming using Tesla Android with USB modem), another WiFi connection (Tesla Android or T2C) to be hacked, more WiFi interference when at home given the Tesla Android or T2C WiFi. I am sure there are more issues but these come to mind.

what problems might I experience leaving the Tesla-Android or T2C on
I can tell you from experience. I leave mine on during the day when I'm out and about. I turn it on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get home.

The biggest issue for me with Tesla-Android is that the Carlinkit dongle doesn't have stamina. 70% of the time I need to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to connect to my phone. The other is that I don't think it's too speedy for remote access to the car. I haven't benchmarked it, but doing things like Live View on the cameras remotely seemed a little more finicky than without Tesla Android.

I'd be really happy if my Pi turned off automatically when I exited the car and on when I opened the door. But nobody seems to have an answer as to how to get it to behave that way.

Reactions: EMEV
Michal is tweeting about 2023.5.2 being done. I don't see it anywhere to download. Checked his page and Reddit. He also mentioned a 2023.4.3 the other day but the only download I can find is 2023.4.2 - which is still buggy for me, crashes browser, so I'm using the latest 2022 build which works fine.
I saw Michal’s post. I’m not sure where the updates are posted either. I believe it may be his personal repository where he’s testing OTA updates.

Last edited:
OK, decided to take the plunge ... I've installed android head units + CarPlay dongles in various German vehicles, and played with various Pi projects, so I figured this would be fun. Pi 4 arrived this morning, and although I'm still waiting for the Carlinkit dongle to arrive, I have Tesla-Android up and running "on the bench", as it were.

Two questions so far:

1 - I have the Pi tethered to my iPhone - in fact I'm sending this from my laptop, using my phone's tethered data via the Pi's wifi hotspot. So that works. I'm not much of an Android tinkerer, but can someone who understands Tasker (or similar automation apps) advise whether it's possible to run an automation so that the Pi's hotspot is only active when the iPhone is plugged in? (or maybe when the Pi detects an internet connection, whether USB, ethernet, bluetooth ...)?

2 - Less important but how do I change the Autokit icon to a Tesla logo? Do I need to download it from somewhere? Previous versions of Autokit have offered me various choices, but this one doesn't appear to have any built in, it just directs me to the 'gallery'.

Huge kudos to Michal for all the work that's clearly gone into this, I'm excited to have it up and running in the car - hopefully in time for a trip to NY and back on Thursday ...

OK, decided to take the plunge ... I've installed android head units + CarPlay dongles in various German vehicles, and played with various Pi projects, so I figured this would be fun. Pi 4 arrived this morning, and although I'm still waiting for the Carlinkit dongle to arrive, I have Tesla-Android up and running "on the bench", as it were.

Two questions so far:

1 - I have the Pi tethered to my iPhone - in fact I'm sending this from my laptop, using my phone's tethered data via the Pi's wifi hotspot. So that works. I'm not much of an Android tinkerer, but can someone who understands Tasker (or similar automation apps) advise whether it's possible to run an automation so that the Pi's hotspot is only active when the iPhone is plugged in? (or maybe when the Pi detects an internet connection, whether USB, ethernet, bluetooth ...)?

2 - Less important but how do I change the Autokit icon to a Tesla logo? Do I need to download it from somewhere? Previous versions of Autokit have offered me various choices, but this one doesn't appear to have any built in, it just directs me to the 'gallery'.

Huge kudos to Michal for all the work that's clearly gone into this, I'm excited to have it up and running in the car - hopefully in time for a trip to NY and back on Thursday ...
I’d install the older version 2022.45.1 of tesla android. The 2023.X releases so far have a bug which makes the interface unresponsive after about 30 minutes.

for road trips, I’d use wired CarPlay. When I use wireless, carlinkit dongle drops connection after about 1.5 hours. If you wait, it auto reconnects after about 30 seconds. Have not had this happen when using wired CarPlay.

Last edited: