Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Carplay usage the T2C has worked well so far, better than the Tesla Android in all aspects. If you only want Carplay (and Adroid Auto) for your Tesla then T2C is a better option. It is a pitty since in the beginning I really liked the work that Mike Gapinski did with Tesla Android and I like to support open source software. Mike is also a great guy that provides good support. Unfortunately, for Carplay the differences between the two option including cost (given the RPi4 cost) is starting to get wider.

If you want more than Carplay then the Tesla Android project is adding other features such as hardware accelerated video playing and I am sure Mike will add other features also. So if you want a device for more than Carplay then Tesla Android is a better option.
yeah, ideally I'm really just looking for carplay... mostly for waze/google maps, etc. among a few other things. Out of curiosity, in what ways has the T2C worked better than tesla android in your opinion?

Do you see many disconnection issues when using the T2C? Any lagging at all? I don't take a ton of road trips, but my work commute is an hour. I'm really looking to use whichever option would be more fluid/lag free for the most part.

Does the T2C work the same as the raspberry pi where it needs to connect to your cars LTE or your phones hotspot? Will the tesla app not work while this is connected to the car? does this auto connect to the car each time? Any other issues you come across at all?

Last edited:
yeah, ideally I'm really just looking for carplay... mostly for waze/google maps, etc. among a few other things. Out of curiosity, in what ways has the T2C worked better than tesla android in your opinion?

Do you see many disconnection issues when using the T2C? Any lagging at all? I don't take a ton of road trips, but my work commute is an hour.

Does the T2C work the same as the raspberry pi where it needs to connect to your cars LTE or your phones hotspot? Will the tesla app not work while this is connected to the car? does this auto connect to the car each time? Any other issues you come across at all?

Different folks have different experiences and different preferences - so it comes down to what you prefer/like, how you use the device, how you use your car, etc... - so let me state my use case - I want to have the most seamless experience possible, meaning I want to get in the car and drive off without having to connect anything to my phone (no wires), I want Carplay to connect automatically without me having to click anything, the longest I drive per day is 3 hours straight so I want for those 3 hours for the device not to disconnect, I want good sound quality, I want a Carplay screen interaction that is fluid and not lagging or slow, I prefer not to have to pay for a wireless carrier and use my phone as both Carplay and hotspot device for the internet at the same time (meaning having the Tesla using the device and connecting to the Internet without paying for an additional wireless carrier), etc...

My Tesla turns off power when I close the door and turns on power when I open the door - that is important since it turns off while I am not in the car (meaning the Tesla goes back to its native internet connection for remote access) and starts a clean boot when I come back and open the door (cleans out any issues for being on for too long). This seems to be a big difference since for some folks where the car does not do this power cycle and if they do not turn off/on the device physically by unplugging/plugging or with a off/on switch, they sometimes experience problems/side effects issues. This is also where T2C is much better than Tesla Android - with my latest testing the boot time for T2C latest firmware version is almost 3 times faster than Tesla Android latest software version. If your Tesla does not turn off power when you close the door and turn on power when you open the door or you do not physically turn T2C off/on (unplug/plug or on/off switch) then your experience with T2C could be different - I do not know.

With the above use case T2C works better than Tesla Android for me.

In response to "Do you see many disconnection issues when using the T2C? Any lagging at all? I don't take a ton of road trips, but my work commute is an hour.":

No disconnects or lags so far, I believe one hour should not be a problem, I drove 3 hours a couple of times without any problems but I have good phone wireless carrier coverage throughout my route.

In response to "Does the T2C work the same as the raspberry pi where it needs to connect to your cars LTE or your phones hotspot? Will the tesla app not work while this is connected to the car? does this auto connect to the car each time? Any other issues you come across at all?":

The T2C has an advantage for me which it can connect to the phone hotspot using bluetooth (wirelessly) so you can use the phone LTE instead of having to pay for another wireless carrier, currently for the Tesla Android to work this way (use the phone as internet hotspot) it needs to be tethered (connect with a wire) to have this functionality (as I mention I personally do not want any wires). The Tesla app works while T2C is connected to the car but in my case that is only when I am in the car since it is off when I leave the car and close the door. T2C does auto connect to the car each time. There is no device that will not have some issues, so far I have not noticed any issues with T2C but I am sure that I will face some issues in the future - the difference is the amount of issues - In my experience there are more issues with Tesla Android than with T2C.

Last edited:
Different folks have different experiences and different preferences - so it comes down to what you prefer/like, how you use the device, how you use your car, etc... - so let me state my use case - I want to have the most seamless experience possible, meaning I want to get in the car and drive off without having to connect anything to my phone (no wires), I want Carplay to connect automatically without me having to click anything, the longest I drive per day is 3 hours straight so I want for those 3 hours for the device not to disconnect, I want good sound quality, I want a Carplay screen interaction that is fluid and not lagging or slow, I prefer not to have to pay for a wireless carrier and use my phone as both Carplay and hotspot device for the internet at the same time (meaning having the Tesla using the device and connecting to the Internet without paying for an additional wireless carrier), etc...

My car turns off power when I close the door and turns on power when I open the door - that is important since it turns off while I am not in the car (meaning the Tesla goes back to its native internet connection for remote access) and starts a clean boot when I come back and open the door (cleans out any issues for being on for too long). This seems to be a big difference since for some folks where the car does not do this power cycle they experience a number of problems/side effects occurs. This is also where T2C is much better than Tesla Android - with my latest testing the boot time for T2C latest firmware version is almost 3 times faster than Tesla Android latest software version.

With the above use case T2C works better than Tesla Android for me.

In response to "Do you see many disconnection issues when using the T2C? Any lagging at all? I don't take a ton of road trips, but my work commute is an hour.":

No disconnects or lags so far, I believe one hour should not be a problem, I drove 3 hours a couple of times without any problems but I have good phone wireless carrier coverage throughout my route.

In response to "Does the T2C work the same as the raspberry pi where it needs to connect to your cars LTE or your phones hotspot? Will the tesla app not work while this is connected to the car? does this auto connect to the car each time? Any other issues you come across at all?":

The T2C has an advantage for me which it can connect to the phone hotspot using bluetooth (wirelessly) so you can use the phone LTE instead of having to pay for another wireless carrier, for the Tesla Android to work this way (use the phone as internet hotspot) it needs to be tethered (connect with a wire) to have this functionality (as I mention I personally do not want any wires). The Tesla app works while T2C is connect to the car but in my case that is only when I am in the car since it is off when I leave the car and close the door. T2C does auto connect to the car each time. There is no device that will not have some issues, so far I have not noticed any issues with T2C but I am sure that I will face some issues in the future - the difference is the amount of issues - There are more issues with Tesla Android than with T2C.
This was fantastic info! Thanks so much! The way you wanted to use it sounds exactly like how I want to use it. I think i'll grab the T2C now, and keep my Pi if/when I want to dabble with tesla android in the near future.

Last edited:
It is interesting there are so few reviews on Amazon for theT2C product, only 3 at this time. You would think as much as you hear from people clamoring for Apple CarPlay in a Tesla, that there would be quite a few more reviews - especially since it is only $99 at this time. All I can think of is that it is still relatively unknown. I too want to support Mike, but may try T2C if I ever get the urge to try CarPlay just for purported ease of initial use. I'd like to see someone put together a Youtube video of it in action.

This was fantastic info! Thanks so much! The way you wanted to use it sounds exactly like how I want to use it. I think i'll grab the T2C now, and keep my Pi if/when I want to dabble with tesla android in the near future.

You are welcome, as I mentioned on one of my previous post there has been a number of firmware changes to the T2C along the last month or two and the printed documentation that comes with it or even the pdf you download from the Carlinkit site is outdated and does not document all of the new configuration steps and features. I had to use a couple of different sources to get all the info I needed. The first thing it is recommended to do when you get the T2C is to update to the latest firmware version so you are not missing any of the new features or fixes. The instructions on the Amazon page you order the device had updated info for firmware update and connecting the device. Also, the link below has additional info but you should read it chronologically from older to new posts so you get the most update info given the firmware releases:

Once you connect to the T2C through its web page and if it can not connect to the internet it provides you a instructions web page telling you how to connect to the internet by Bluetooth hotspot with your phone (no need for a SIM card) or 4G LTE (need a working SIM card inserted in T2C).

Reactions: SkunkApe
Robert Rosenfeld talks about the T2C (10:10) and others. A discount can be obtained as well, (16:54).

Maybe one of you should start a separate thread specific to the T2C.
I'd not condone support that guy's channel. Lots of clickbait, spends hours talking about stuff and never getting to the point. I don't remember specifics now, but I was commenting on one of his videos pointing out an error or something and my posts kept getting deleted.

I'd not condone support that guy's channel. Lots of clickbait, spends hours talking about stuff and never getting to the point. I don't remember specifics now, but I was commenting on one of his videos pointing out an error or something and my posts kept getting deleted.
He doesn't like negative comments, that's why he deletes them. I don't like him either, it's just clickbait to make his Youtube numbers.

He doesn't like negative comments, that's why he deletes them. I don't like him either, it's just clickbait to make his Youtube numbers.
I think I remember my issue. In fact, it was about this project. It was early in its development. He had a lengthy video saying that CarPlay is now on Tesla. But of a 12 minute video he only showed one pic about 10 minutes in and said nothing much else about it. I was able to find Michal after that and was posting that in the comments - i.e. "here's the developer he's talking about and linked to Michal's Twitter" or something. Guess he didn't like people learning actual information. Total sleaze.

Maybe one of you should start a separate thread specific to the T2C.
I've created a new thread for the T2C so that we can stop crimping in on this thread